Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 12:01 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking off and on over the past several weeks. I've lived in Maryland all of my life and never thought I would want to move somewhere without four seasons. However, I'm sitting here freezing my **s off and I'm over it! I'm (almost) 57 years old and ready to move on. Unfortunately, the housing market and my IRA balance are preventing me from doing so. Actually, I haven't checked the IRA for at least a week. I'm afraid I'll vomit. Anyway, I just wanted to join in and tell y'all that I really enjoy reading this forum.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I've been lurking off and on over the past several weeks. I've lived in Maryland all of my life and never thought I would want to move somewhere without four seasons. However, I'm sitting here freezing my **s off and I'm over it! I'm (almost) 57 years old and ready to move on. Unfortunately, the housing market and my IRA balance are preventing me from doing so. Actually, I haven't checked the IRA for at least a week. I'm afraid I'll vomit. Anyway, I just wanted to join in and tell y'all that I really enjoy reading this forum.
I would not be so depressed about not be able to move. Maryland is not one the coldest states. I lived there and I found the weather pleasant. Originally, I am from Buffalo. You may find that your feelings about living is a four season climate is correct.

Some people who move to Denver and the west from the east coast, after the initial feeling of the newness, are disappointed in the lack of green and water. The west is good for me after 30 years but I have learned to appreciate the environment. In addition, I have severe arthritis which is helped by the warm dry climate.

Yes, you could look at warmer and green areas of the south but the humidity can be very tiresome...and the bugs...

Livecontent

So, do not feel so bad--you have a good place to live in Maryland.

Livecontent

Old 11-22-2008, 08:27 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Livecontent,

Thank you for your insight. I will indeed miss the greenery in Maryland. However, my tolerance for cold became nonexistent after I lost weight several years ago. I start hurting as soon as the temperature drops to the low sixties. Unbelievable, eh? I have decided that life is too short to suffer needlessly; thus, the decision to move. The only questions remaining are when and where. The local housing market will probably determine "when." That should give me plenty of time to determine "where." I guess there really is a silver lining to every cloud.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Hi Lenora and welcome. Just wanted to let you know that I share your sentiments about living in a 4 season climate. I'm tired of not being able to go for walks, sit on the deck, etc for 7 or 8 months a year. I also have many aches and pains when the cold moves in. It's not fun at all. AHHH, some day we'll all be living in our preferred climate.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I would not be so depressed about not be able to move. Maryland is not one the coldest states. I lived there and I found the weather pleasant. Originally, I am from Buffalo. You may find that your feelings about living is a four season climate is correct.

Some people who move to Denver and the west from the east coast, after the initial feeling of the newness, are disappointed in the lack of green and water. The west is good for me after 30 years but I have learned to appreciate the environment. In addition, I have severe arthritis which is helped by the warm dry climate.

Yes, you could look at warmer and green areas of the south but the humidity can be very tiresome...and the bugs...

Livecontent

So, do not feel so bad--you have a good place to live in Maryland.

Livecontent
I've lived in MD for the past 25 years. The climate is warming. It's been a lot of years since my thermometer dipped below 0F. When I came here, we had at least 1-2 days a year with -5 to-10 lows. If last summer was a reliable event, it would be near ideal. Nearly the whole summer had dew points below 70 and highs in the 80s.

I'll probably stay here longer than planned due to the market, but there are worse places.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Personally, I love the 4 seasons. We got a dusting of snow and I just love it, especially at Christmas time. However, living in MN, I would like a little bit less of it (a lot less of it) - it goes on too long here. Our climate has changed alot in the last 10-15 years - we get only an occasional snow dump and the below zero hits are shorter and fewer. I definitely will not stay here, but I am looking at CO - still have snow (curl up in front of a fire with a good book), but it doesn't last as long. Maybe when I get to be a little old lady I will move again to a warmer area. I guess I have too many good memories of winter - besides, no more lawn mowing or weed killing for awhile!!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Default Finding a housemate tips?

Has anyone rented a room out? Now that my leaky roof is fixed and I finished the room painting from hell this weekend I will have an extra bedroom & bath that I could rent to help pay the bills so maybe I CAN retire someday. It makes me nervous--I don't want drama at home. I would like having another person around if they were quiet and respectful plus I am nervous about the economy. Today they laid off 10% of the employees here and there is talk about a 4% deduction in pay next year although my boss said he'd fight for me not to get it for many reasons. I recently found an $8,000 error in billing that we're getting reimbursed for--I'm finally beginning to be appreciated by this new boss.

I put an ad on roommate.com and the first e-mail was from an unemployed woman (according to her profile--talk about a insane way to find a rental--Hi, I'm unemployed, please rent to me!) I hate to not respond but I don't want to pay to read her e-mail. Reminding me of doing Internet personal ads--you pay out of curiosity and it's some strange person. I even put employed as a requirement in my ad. Geez--she was old enough she could put retired. So I hide the ad for the moment. Anyone have suggestions, questions to ask? My plan is to first meet prospective housemates at a local coffeehouse and if I like them have them fill in an application, call their references, check employment, then let them see the house. I'm not in a big rush--planned on doing it in January.

P.S. The painting from hell turned out great but it will be a longgggggggggg time before I do any more room painting. Lesson learned: don't think anyone at Lowe's uses or knows anything about their products and you won't have to repaint it (twice) to cover up the mess before starting over and spend every beautiful weekend inside for the last month.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Ideally, I would love to live in a community with little cottages, with hiking trails, near shopping, and I wouldn’t care if the cottage was even a one-bedroom. If I had a whole lot of rooms, they’d probably just fill up with junk, anyway!

This is exactly the kind of community that I am looking for. Just a nice cozy place for Gracie the Cat & me. I just discovered that my long term "money manager" invested almost all of my money into a risky bond scheme w/o my permission & has disseminated my account. This, just after I retired. I really am devastated abnd do not know where to turn.
But, I do have my small townhouse so I would be able to buy into a little cottage , I think.

Sorry if I am rambling, but I am shocked and dismayed about this. I was so careful. I can not believe that this happened.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Default Retaliate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Ideally, I would love to live in a community with little cottages, with hiking trails, near shopping, and I wouldn’t care if the cottage was even a one-bedroom. If I had a whole lot of rooms, they’d probably just fill up with junk, anyway!

This is exactly the kind of community that I am looking for. Just a nice cozy place for Gracie the Cat & me. I just discovered that my long term "money manager" invested almost all of my money into a risky bond scheme w/o my permission & has disseminated my account. This, just after I retired. I really am devastated abnd do not know where to turn.
But, I do have my small townhouse so I would be able to buy into a little cottage , I think.

Sorry if I am rambling, but I am shocked and dismayed about this. I was so careful. I can not believe that this happened.
Nancy - So sorry to hear about your delimma!! If he did this without your permission, can you talk to a lawyer? I'm in the process of demanding explanations for everything from my Financial Advisor. I was naive enough to think that with what he is paid he would do his best - especially since he's paid on a %. I'm enjoying watching him squirm. Oprah had a show not too long ago where the discusiion was about how women are taught "to be nice". Since it's your future we're talking about, now is not the time "to be nice". I went through the same shock & awe when this first hit. Sorry this happened - don't just accept it - demand a full explanation and then if it's shady - GO GET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Yes, thanks mn2co. I have been talking with lawyers who do nothing but handle this type of thing which apparently happens all too often . It's very very upsetting all the same because who knows what will happen even with legal assistance.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.