Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 AM

30 posts, read 82,164 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a single male just turned 60 and also trying to find the ideal place to settle, be active and have great people around to meet and socialize with. I retired at 50 from working for others but have kept busy in fixing and flipping in different areas and that way I get to see if I like the area. My last job was in So. Cal and I knew I did not want to spend anymore time there so moved to the high sierras in a beautiful area. After four winters of snow I move to Palm Springs. Well the summers there were alot worse that being in the snowy sierras so I made a good profit on my fixer there and left. Now in Grants Pass, OR. which is very nice but not where I want to end up. I spent nine days in May between Santa Fe and Taos NM. Taos a little remote but I really like Santa Fe. It is definitely on my list as a great place to retire. You can check out the treads on Santa Fe and see what is offered there.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default kaadub.........

My Florida friend just spent a week as a tourist in downtown Santa Fe and she just LOVED it - however, it was very, very COLD !! (at the end of Oct.).

Do you know how Santa Fe's weather in the winter compares to Grants Pass? Is is as bleak, rainy, cold, snowy ??

Old 11-01-2008, 12:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
My Florida friend just spent a week as a tourist in downtown Santa Fe and she just LOVED it - however, it was very, very COLD !! (at the end of Oct.).

Do you know how Santa Fe's weather in the winter compares to Grants Pass? Is is as bleak, rainy, cold, snowy ??
Santa Fe may be as cold as Grants Pass in winter but it will have a lot more sunny days. It is high and dry on the lee side of the Sangre de Cristo mountains - sort of like Denver but further south. It has some very cold days that will be colder than Grants Pass but not as humid.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 PM

20 posts, read 59,302 times
Hello Women!

I've been away from this discussion for quite some time (my time seems to be centered on caring for aging/unwell relatives of late...doing what I can here and visiting ailing family in France) but I did want to say hello - I've monitored the thread all along but was beginning to feel like a voyeur out here not saying anything! You all are still one of the coolest group of women around, I must say - what great ideas and information. I am enduring another 92 degree day here in central Arizona - will summer NEVER end?! Retirement towns that have been on my mind of late are Prescott (AZ) and Asheville and Chapel Hill, North Carolina; I also hear good things about the Greenville area of SC. The NC Center for Creative Retirement sounds very much up my alley and is what has caused me to give renewed consideration to that area. Here's the website if any of you are interested: North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement Do any of you know of any similar programs in other parts of the country? My yearning for "green" might also be driving this train of thought...no more beige for me!

Kind regards to you all!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Thanks, mr ebert (?) . Asheville was one of the places that I had been considering. I even sent for their relocation packet and it looks just beautiful. They have a great website that shows live photos of the city which glows at night with star-filled skies , red & golden trees and the purple mountains in the distance.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

I'm curious what you consider very very cold. We've had a gorgeous fall. Last weekend I was camping. Some years it does snow in October (especially if I go camping at Chaco Canyon) but so far this year it's only been below 34 a couple of nights and mostly in the 50s and above during the day and sunny. Winters vary--almost always sunny, and typically in the 20-40s with very little humidty. I don't know anything about Grants Pass.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default Hello from the rainy state!

Hey Ladies..
Just got to my mom's house in Salem, Oregon on Thursday. Still plan to spend the winter here, even though a rainy cold winter is not the kind of weather a desert rat like me looks forward to, ... and living with the 'little mother' is going to be, well, challenging ..! I'm sure you all understand, 'ya love ur mom, butttttttttt'....

Anyway, I'm a bar now using WIFI till I get home internet access next week. Then, I'll be able to catch up with my favorite forum again, and become more participatory again.
Until then, I'm looking forward to being back online again.
See ya all soon!!
Anomoly

Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Hey, Anomoly!!!! You're alive! And okay! And in wet Oregon.....

Glad to hear you're around. Can't wait to get caught up on what's going on with you. Thanks for checking in!!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Oh how I wish we were getting rain here in AZ! I am sick, sick, sick of dry desert dust...and I live up in Prescott!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default Yup, nice to be in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Oh how I wish we were getting rain here in AZ! I am sick, sick, sick of dry desert dust...and I live up in Prescott!!!
Yeah, rain's great for now.... give me another week and I'm sure I'll be sick of it, but hey, like lemons and lemonade, guess I'll grow web feet for the winter.
The 'little mother' is driving me crazy, as expected, so I'm in another bar right now using WIFI.... Wow, I might turn into a barfly alcoholic if I stay here long enough! Gotta find a coffee house that's not 'drive-through'. They got alotta those.

Getting home internet on Thursday, wish it was in time for the election. Boy, won't we ALL be glad when that's done!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.