Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 05:39 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times

Advertisements

31 degrees in Baltimore. Still freezing and I'm getting ready to go out to complete (err...begin) my Christmas shopping. Ice pellets are predicted for the a.m. I would LOVE to move somewhere warm with little humidity...but, like others, can't afford to. I just opened my Gas & Electric bill... over $400 for the month. (No, I don't live in a huge house.) Spent most of the day reading "Retire on Less Than You Think." <sigh>

Lenora

Old 12-20-2008, 05:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
OK - I will stop posting til I finish the thread! I think I'm interrupting the natural flow you girls have created! Sorry

Not at all, piperspal. Jump right in and welcome!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-20-2008, 05:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
31 degrees in Baltimore. Still freezing and I'm getting ready to go out to complete (err...begin) my Christmas shopping. Ice pellets are predicted for the a.m. I would LOVE to move somewhere warm with little humidity...but, like others, can't afford to. I just opened my Gas & Electric bill... over $400 for the month. (No, I don't live in a huge house.) Spent most of the day reading "Retire on Less Than You Think." <sigh>

Lenora
There are a lot of houses for sale cheap in south Florida!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Thanks, knoxgarden. I always enjoy your posts with the wonderful information about your city that you tell us . Knoxville looks beautiful (and warm), so inviting.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-20-2008, 06:05 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Knox - Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really make Knoxvile seem very appealing.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Nancy - I picture the villages of L.I. to be really cute at Christmas - sort of quaint, which I love. Any pics?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:14 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
55 and rather gloomy in Knoxville today, but no one's complaining. After the drought in 2007, rain is welcome. We're almost back to normal on water levels. Knoxville, located on three rivers that were dammed back in the 1930s, never had rationing, but other areas in Tennessee did. The small farms around East Tennessee suffered terribly.
This summer was a lot better. The farmers' markets were wonderful and well attended.
Supposed to see the sun and some cold weather on Monday.

We may not have a white Christmas, but Knoxville gets very excited about Christmas. Check out the slideshow of "Christmas in the City."
Christmas in the City
"Up on the Rooftops" has been part of Christmas for a long time. Businesses put lights in the form of Christmas trees on the roofs of their buildings. Beautiful site driving by. Lots of things going on.
City of Knoxville - Christmas in the City
On the subject of water taxis, Neyland Stadium at University of Tennessee is one of where fans (the Vols Navy) can boat to the games. Enterprising folks offer taxi services to and from boats to the landing at the stadium.
Knoxville certainly sounds very nice and these links were fun to check out. I wonder if Knoxville would have room for those of us who are more liberal.....as it seems to be a somewhat conservative city. I consider myself middle of the road politically, and am an Obama supporter and have always registered as a Democrat. How would I fit in?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Knoxville and East Tennessee in general has a live and let live policy. People are respectful of others and of their beliefs and opinions. Common courtesy is openly practiced in all aspects of day-to-day life. If you come with an open mind and a spirit of friendship, it will be returned.
There are plenty of Obama stickers around. Lots of pickup trucks and big SUVs but also Priuses and even some Smartcars.
If you look closely at the Holiday events, you'll see "Holigay" movies listed along with the church services.
Churches are an important part of the social scene here, as in most of the South. Church is loosely defined. We have a very large and active Pagan and Wiccan Society (they even do road cleanup and have a sign to that effect on one of the highways in town) and a Rationalist Society that provides social events for Atheists, etc. Quakers are active so are the Unitarians. Good sized Jewish congregations and Muslims.
There are prayers before sporting events but the duty of leading them rotates among the different churches. Rabbis are just as eager to lead the invocation at a Vols game as Baptist preachers.
The only thing people get rabid about are the Vols (University of Tennessee Volunteers) which is actually fun. You see a lot of orange around town, stock up. And it's not just football, it's Women's and Men's Basketball, Softball, baseball, swimming and diving, rowing, soccer and anything else they might play. There's always a good turnout of fans and games are fun to go to. Knoxville is a small city and you don't have the huge, overwhelming crowds that make events a pain to go to.
I grew up in Southern California and spent most of my life in Washington, D.C. I did live in South Georgia for several years, for a job, before moving to Knoxville. That part of Georgia is what people think of as "The South." Knoxville is nothing like that.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
After a few gray, drizzly days here, we had a warm sunny one yesterday, so after I walked the dawg, we saddled up our bikes and rode down to the water, stopped at the local pub and sat outside waterside and had a couple of brewski's, watched the boats coming to the fuel dock, waved to a couple of dolphins swimming by, met a couple we knew and petted and did a high five with their American Bulldog, Taylor, then mounted up on our trusty two-wheelers and pedaled back home and then it rained like a son of a gun that night and is rainy and cooler today, so don't forget to Carpe Diem--seize the day-- 'cause you just never know just when another sunny one's a coming your way! Supposed to get much colder in the next few days, but that's okay 'cause after all, it's Christmas coming along pert near any day now and Santa would get hot in his suit and beard if it were still 65 degrees...he'd better put wheels on his sleigh for his deliveries to us, 'cause I don't think a White Christmas is in the cards...

Hugs,

LittleD,
your scribe
in coastal NC

Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Santa definitely needs wheels down here! It is in the 80's. Sounds like you had a great day, LittleD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.