Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Have you considered some of the little towns in the Panhandle? I stayed a couple days last summer in Port St. Joe. It has a beautiful beach, wonderful parks, neat little town.
Yes, the Panhandle is very beautiful and it's one of the many Florida options that need to be explored in time. So many choices ~

Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Of all the women who have been posting here for awhile and are still considering a move, does the whole thing of the cost $ of car gas (and home heating/a.c.) concern anyone and is this a factor in where you will choose to move and in what kind of locale you will select once there? Maybe I should ask this on the shoestringer forum, but just curious.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
It doesn't affect my choice of location. Except as it affects the cost of air fares and manufacture/shipping of goods, rising energy prices don't concern me because I have made a point of conserving energy since the early seventies. My utility bills are always lower than those of anyone I know and I don't have a car.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
It will probably affect my "One year of roaming in an RV", while I look for my new home. I'll still roam from town to town; but not as much, or stay longer in one place.

It doesn't affect the state I've chosen to roam *in* ... Arizona is much much cheaper than where I am now. In every way.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I do not have a car, and one can arrange one's life where a car is not needed by living in a town or city with public transit and/or senior bus transporation.

And many towns and cities now deliver groceries for only $5.00 or $9.95 - you order your groceries thru safeway.com, byerlys.com, peapod.com, and other grocery websites.

And one can choose to live in a neighborhood with amenities. I have never owned a car.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
I do not have a car, and one can arrange one's life where a car is not needed by living in a town or city with public transit and/or senior bus transporation.

And many towns and cities now deliver groceries for only $5.00 or $9.95 - you order your groceries thru safeway.com, byerlys.com, peapod.com, and other grocery websites.

And one can choose to live in a neighborhood with amenities. I have never owned a car.
Me too. It's easier than most people think.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post

I admire you and Riverbird and Minervah and others who do not drive a car. As soon as I move I plan to do a car share, and if prices get much worse, give it up altogether.

I wonder if I should start a "going carless" thread as this may be a wave of hte future. I would like to get a lot of tips from others.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Default Going carless ~~~

Well, I grew up in NYC, a poor girl living in the Projects where nobody owned a car and, as young adult, I only knew one person who owned a vehicle

After enjoying the luxury of owning a car for the last 40+ years I don't even like the idea of having to give it up eventually, as much as I'd like to cut out expenses. Personally, it would be a hardship for me to have to "shlep" all my groceries, etc. on foot ~~ at age 72, with a bad back and bad knees. I feel very comforted in knowing that I can go anywhere, walk until I'm tired, and then hop into my own transportation without having to wait for public transportation in all kinds of weather ! Spoiled? Yup, Yup, Yup !!

I'll keep driving until I can't

Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Well, I grew up in NYC, a poor girl living in the Projects where nobody owned a car and, as young adult, I only knew one person who owned a vehicle

After enjoying the luxury of owning a car for the last 40+ years I don't even like the idea of having to give it up eventually, as much as I'd like to cut out expenses. Personally, it would be a hardship for me to have to "shlep" all my groceries, etc. on foot ~~ at age 72, with a bad back and bad knees. I feel very comforted in knowing that I can go anywhere, walk until I'm tired, and then hop into my own transportation without having to wait for public transportation in all kinds of weather ! Spoiled? Yup, Yup, Yup !!

I'll keep driving until I can't
But you might want to be prepared when and if that day comes. It doesn't have to be a hardship but your life will change. I have seen people go into depression because they were told they could no longer drive due to health reasons like failing eyesight or a bad heart etc. They just didn't know how to cope.

If you have an alternate plan to driving in place in the event you are no longer able to drive, you are way ahead of the game.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Excellent advice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But you might want to be prepared when and if that day comes. It doesn't have to be a hardship but your life will change. I have seen people go into depression because they were told they could no longer drive due to health reasons like failing eyesight or a bad heart etc. They just didn't know how to cope.

If you have an alternate plan to driving in place in the event you are no longer able to drive, you are way ahead of the game.
I'll try to make sure my relocation destination is not far from all services, where I can either walk, use public transportation or taxis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement