Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM

205 posts, read 397,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My kind of girl! Would love to do that - except, the ocean is a ways from here. I also have always wanted to kayak - that I can do here
Hi! Dragon Boats are paddled in lakes and rivers so you might want to do a Google search on Dragon Boat Clubs in your state. They are literally all over. Keep me posted on what you find!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Hi! Dragon Boats are paddled in lakes and rivers so you might want to do a Google search on Dragon Boat Clubs in your state. They are literally all over. Keep me posted on what you find!
I will check it out. We do have the Mississippi running through the metro and we have city lakes. If I'm going to do it, I have to do it now - CO isn't known for it's lakes. I see on your profile you changed your hair - looks good

Now for a rant - we have been infested with Japanese beetles - I just noticed a wigela bush that is on a side of my house that I rarely visit and it is ruined - it use to be gorgeous. My neighbor had a vine on her fence that was not only pretty but also acted as a sound barrier - she had to rip out the entire thing.

Popcorn - HELP!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
My kind of girl! Would love to do that - except, the ocean is a ways from here. I also have always wanted to kayak - that I can do here
WAIT !! are you having a senior moment? Check out your MN license plate !!

Quote:
I will check it out. We do have the Mississippi running through the metro and we have city lakes. If I'm going to do it, I have to do it now - CO isn't known for it's lakes.
Plenty of great lakes / rivers for water sports in Colorado. Here are a couple close by your probable destination.

Parks and Open Lands - Carter Lake
Larimer County - Natural Resources
http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/br...n_pinewood.pdf
red feather lakes co - Google Search

The Platte River is an ez float nearby. But DO take a kayak trip from Jackson Lake to Jackson, WY. It was my BEST watertrip. Beginning Sea Kayaking Course - Snake River Kayak and Canoe, Jackson Hole Wyoming
Tho living on Thetis Is., BC was pretty good too. (on the water everyday)
http://www.google.com/search?q=red+f...w=1280&bih=834
Inland waters of Canada and Puget Sound WA are delightful and pretty calm sea kayaking.

For sailing while living in CO, we would escape here (NE) http://www.lakemcconaughy.com/about_historyfacts.html (broken link)
http://www.google.com/search?q=red+f...w=1280&bih=834

btw: this is the view from my childhood home. (Loveland / Masonville)
red feather lakes co - Google Search
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/...dcc74da09e.jpg

Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WAIT !! are you having a senior moment? Check out your MN license plate !!

Oh come on!! You've been here at times other than late Nov - April. We cook our fannies off for many weeks in the summer and the rest of spring, summer, fall is great for water sports. Afterall, we are the land of 10,000 lakes and they don't stay cold all year long.

But, to answer your question ~~~I have had several senior moments today ~~~proud of it too

Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
Someone had asked about the club name - I believe Dragon Boat is the name of the type of boat.

I can totally relate to those who have decided to appreciate where they are living right now. If i can find a way to afford to - i wouldnt mind doing that for a few more years.

My trip to Cape Cod Wed. will tell me more about the houses i like in that area, and more or less let me know if i can afford the kind of place i'm looking for there. So i'll either rule it out - or not lol...

It starts to take up sooo much time and energy researching these places to live, when i already have a wonderful one (it's just in a state that i cant afford!). My sister also lives 30 minutes away right now and has bone cancer, and i love being able to see her as much as possible - but she travels all year long (while she's still well enuf) and takes at least 6 trips a year. For this reason, she doesnt try to 'talk me out' of moving anywhere else.

It's all a bunch of very hard decisions to make.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 PM

Jellybean - sorry to hear about your sister. We'd like to hear how your trip to Maine turns out - it sounds like a lovely state.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 AM

205 posts, read 397,477 times
Quote:
I will check it out. We do have the Mississippi running through the metro and we have city lakes. If I'm going to do it, I have to do it now - CO isn't known for it's lakes. I see on your profile you changed your hair - looks good

Now for a rant - we have been infested with Japanese beetles - I just noticed a wigela bush that is on a side of my house that I rarely visit and it is ruined - it use to be gorgeous. My neighbor had a vine on her fence that was not only pretty but also acted as a sound barrier - she had to rip out the entire thing.

Popcorn - HELP!
Denver just had their annual Dragon Boat Festival. So, you're not off the hook. Actually went back to my "real" color which I had for nearly 30 years. I say "real" because I was born this color until about the age of 4 then changed it in my 30's. So, I just took back what I started with. For some reason thought I'd go back to brunette for a while (I was also a redhead at one time). Don't always have control over my life, but my hair I can change any time!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Msfroggez~Karcon~Popcorn

Are you prepared for "good night" Irene? Sounds like Fl is OK with just side effects, but NC might get clobbered. Be safe all.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Hey you coastal dwellers--N.C. and elsewhere in the east--prepare for Irene and stay safe!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Are you prepared for "good night" Irene? Sounds like Fl is OK with just side effects, but NC might get clobbered. Be safe all.
Funny, I just came back on the site because I was wondering the same thing. I do hope all on the coast lines that may be affected, are taking precausions as best able and come through the storm in the best of healt and spirits.

Keeping all in my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement