Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
I love kayaking but this is much more fun - and very different. Paddling a kayak/canoe is kind of loosy-goosy - dragon boat paddling is very definite with military precision. And you have to dig deep for a fast, smooth forward momentum. Just a great time on the water. Still plan on kayaking when I want leisure time. But for a great workout - DB'ng - nothing like it!
You are getting me too excitied about this ~~~~~stay tuned for some hopeful progress.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I am sure that a kindly stranger would be more than happy to carry your safe to the car but it probably wouldn't be your car.
Very funny.

(Haughtily) "...I have always depended on the kindness of strangers"...
[Blanche Dubois, A Streetcar Named Desire]

Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 PM

915 posts, read 1,626,423 times
Default Irene's Foreplay....

don't think this conveys it/wind is significant and rain making it hard to shoot pics - but around 5:00 pm friday/first rain bands - 1.5 hours to high tide - waves are about 12 feet high - can't capture the look but it's like looking at the water and afraid to look down to clean the camera lens because you think it may be up over the rail when you look back up - pretty awesome out there - water is up to the dunes - on a beach that was pretty deep/we are close to high tide but....

i can see the water from the porch of the place here/but not the breaking waves - not so today - i can see the whitecaps - everything is the same greenish gray - the water/the sky - everything - waves are expected to reach 15 to 21 feet, last time i heard -

i may get better at shooting pics - but then again, i may not - i'm going to try my hand at a life action thing - wind is strong enough that it do blow the body to and fro - i feel like jim cantori - speaking of whom, i did shoot a picture of a palm frond flopping on the ground , a personal favorite shot of Cantori's to convey the intensity of the storm - i shall include shortly..........

oh, a neighbor's shingles are peeling off....which is better than florida where terra cotta tiles peeling is a lot scarier!!!!

neighbors to the north, be safe - latest word still is that we are getting the brushing/not the full hit -

this should not be taken as an advertisement to NOT relocate near the coast! this is a good trial run and one heck of a good reminder about checking out insurance rates, flood plains etc and so on - since they closed the island bridge at 5:00 due to wind gusts, I'm hunkered in for the night.

Electricity still on - internet still operating - mr bouchez staying very close to my feet with a worried expression on his furry face.

back later !
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-irene-just-before-high-tide-friday  

Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times
Thanks for checking in - I've thought about you all day. Hunker down and stay safe. Check in - we all worry about you!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
don't think this conveys it/wind is significant and rain making it hard to shoot pics - but around 5:00 pm friday/first rain bands - 1.5 hours to high tide - waves are about 12 feet high - can't capture the look but it's like looking at the water and afraid to look down to clean the camera lens because you think it may be up over the rail when you look back up - pretty awesome out there - water is up to the dunes - on a beach that was pretty deep/we are close to high tide but....

Is the deck you are shooting from yours, so close to the beach?? I hope you're leaving!! Please be careful.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:48 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
I hope that's not where our friend is shooting pics from, if so, that area would probably be getting pounded like crazy, winds are roaring over there if I'm hearing correctly from news reports on NC. I hope Mzfroggez has moved to safer surroundings. She's deffinately on my mind.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 PM

915 posts, read 1,626,423 times
woke to water lapping at my head - well, some water seeping into the area under my bed or from the ceiling /not sure which - however, the ocean was where it should be - this was a rain issue.....presently desogging the area.........

however, in retrospect, minor irritant if one were to view the prospective beach property i passed this morning - hurry, someone want to snap it up with me??? i'm sure we could get a house on the lot somewhere!
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-irene-saturday-pics-storm-2011-08  

Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 PM

So glad you checked in and are doing AOK.

Gotta make another call to my daughter see how her area is weathering the storm. She and family are not directly in the path, but Greenville, NC is still considered coastal and gets lots of flooding and tornado winds.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM

NEgirl, are you prepared for the coming storm? I'm looking at live footage and they just mentioned NEngland area, so thought of you.

live weater reporting

The Weather Channel Livestream

btw, guess I'm getting on my daughter's nerves. MOM!, I'll call you when it's all over. I called one too many times. OOPSie.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
NEgirl, are you prepared for the coming storm? I'm looking at live footage and they just mentioned NEngland area, so thought of you.

live weater reporting

The Weather Channel Livestream

btw, guess I'm getting on my daughter's nerves. MOM!, I'll call you when it's all over. I called one too many times. OOPSie.
The downpours are coming in heavy intermittent waves all night. Just when you think it's over, it starts up again. Later today is going to be the worst. Fortunately I'm on high ground away from the river, have my flashlights, water, and food in place and friends and family close by. I do worry about power outage b/c of my freezer. I filled the empty spaces with bottles of water to freeze. I do have a large tree next to my house, so that's my only concern at the moment, but the winds have not started as of now (6:00 am Sun.).

I cannot believe how much we've been through this summer! Tornado (two in the last two years, plus the one this summer), earthquake, coastal hurricane--this area has never been known for disasters, other than the great flood of '38. I always felt super safe in this part of the country. But where is totally safe??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement