Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM

205 posts, read 397,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
These words really hit home because just lately I too have decided to just be happy where I am for now. I have been beating myself up ever since my mum died---do I move back to N. California where my only daughter and grandson live, beautiful Maine which also speaks to my soul or stay here in my homeland. I have spent ages poring over real estate sites, reading the many wonderful and insightful posts by the other women on this forum and generally driving myself crqazy with indecision
So for now I am just going to stop some of the angst and enjoy being here in south western Scotland---temperate climate,National Health Service, free bus passes for those 60+ and so many wonderful places like the Western Isles, Rome, Paris etc are just a short journey away. How lucky I am
What is not to love! Scotland, Paris, Rome......... Can I come live with you????

Old 08-17-2011, 01:40 PM

62 posts, read 97,685 times
Thumbs up Just enjoying being in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Same here. Have decided I really need to force myself out into the heat and away from the wimpy AC. So have joined a local kayaking group and the local Dragon Boat Club. Am going to my first Dragon Boat rowing session this afternoon. Should be fun - at least interesting!
That sounds like so much fun. Will you be in one of those Chinese boats that we see racing at festivals etc---the ones with multiple rowers?
I have always fancied living on a boat even in my declining years lol I even knew of a couple in their eighties that did it---my type of senior citizen I particularly like the model of boat called the Formosa(as seen in Captain Ron) Three advantages of living on a boat 1. When you want to move you just weigh anchor and take your home with you. 2. It forces one to seriously declutter--( where on earth would I store all my Wagner cd's) and # 3 When one gets too frail etc you could just get towed out to sea--hey presto a Viking funeral and it would be off to Valhalla a fate much preferable than withering away in a nursing home

Old 08-17-2011, 01:56 PM

62 posts, read 97,685 times
Thumbs up Really Appreciating Alba

Quote:
What is not to love! Scotland, Paris, Rome......... Can I come live with you????
Well certainly lol even my daughter has been asking knowing I have a spare bedroom. Seriously so many wonderful places to visit from here--for so long my main focus has been seeing my daughter and little grandson but after 12+ hours flying London To Sacramento ---a flight from the UK to Rome etc will be a breeze and much more affordable.
I too have experienced high humidity when I was stationed in Alabama etc but like the heat of Central California you learn to adjust your life around the weather. As you are in Florida have you ever been to Tarpon Springs--it looks interesting what with the sponge docks etc.
I hope some of the original posters come back to this thread and update us all. I always get inspired by their life journeys.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,321 times
Quote:
Same here. Have decided I really need to force myself out into the heat and away from the wimpy AC. So have joined a local kayaking group and the local Dragon Boat Club. Am going to my first Dragon Boat rowing session this afternoon. Should be fun - at least interesting!
Please let us know how you liked the rowing

Old 08-17-2011, 04:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
I used to work with a lady who was on a champion Dragon Boat team. They got to compete in the UK. She loved it. I like to watch them race.

Have fun!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,121 times
Quote:
That sounds like a blast! Why is it called the Dragon Boat Club? I like the name.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
These words really hit home because just lately I too have decided to just be happy where I am for now. I have been beating myself up ever since my mum died---do I move back to N. California where my only daughter and grandson live, beautiful Maine which also speaks to my soul or stay here in my homeland. I have spent ages poring over real estate sites, reading the many wonderful and insightful posts by the other women on this forum and generally driving myself crqazy with indecision
So for now I am just going to stop some of the angst and enjoy being here in south western Scotland---temperate climate,National Health Service, free bus passes for those 60+ and so many wonderful places like the Western Isles, Rome, Paris etc are just a short journey away. How lucky I am
I've been following this thread as time allows, and I'm curious if you are an American living in Scotland, or are you from an EU country? I'm asking since "retirement" to the UK is difficult for a US citizen. I'd love to retire to the UK, but there isn't any retirement visa for USA, and tourists can only stay 6 months out of 12. You are so lucky to be there! Look forward to hearing more about your background. I apologize if you have already discussed this on this thread.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM

419 posts, read 758,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I've been following this thread as time allows, and I'm curious if you are an American living in Scotland, or are you from an EU country? I'm asking since "retirement" to the UK is difficult for a US citizen. I'd love to retire to the UK, but there isn't any retirement visa for USA, and tourists can only stay 6 months out of 12. You are so lucky to be there! Look forward to hearing more about your background. I apologize if you have already discussed this on this thread.
Welcome to the thread xz2y. Pardon me if this turns out to be a late welcome because you have actually posted here in the past.

I do not post here much because I have told my story on other threads, so did not think it was appropriate to repeat myself here. However, I have posted my heartfelt thanks to the courageous women who have inspired me for the past 2 years with their posts.

I noticed from another thread that you are from Detroit. I lived the first 29 years of my life in Detroit & surrounding areas. I have very fond memories of growing up in the city.

Since you cannot retire to the UK are you looking to retire to a different country or state? Sure would like to hear your story.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Welcome to the thread xz2y. Pardon me if this turns out to be a late welcome because you have actually posted here in the past.

I do not post here much because I have told my story on other threads, so did not think it was appropriate to repeat myself here. However, I have posted my heartfelt thanks to the courageous women who have inspired me for the past 2 years with their posts.

I noticed from another thread that you are from Detroit. I lived the first 29 years of my life in Detroit & surrounding areas. I have very fond memories of growing up in the city.

Since you cannot retire to the UK are you looking to retire to a different country or state? Sure would like to hear your story.
Hi, thanks for your response. I actually live an hour west of Detroit in Ann Arbor. I've lived here for nearly 30 years. It has its positive and negative points, like anywhere else. I had originally planned to retire to Mexico, and started extensive research in 2006. With all the violence in the country since that time, I have changed my plans and am looking for a place in the US (less expensive and more retiree friendly in terms of taxes than MI). At any rate, I still dream of a retirement abroad, though it's challenging with all the restrictions in EU countries. I'd love to read your story on the other threads. Can you point me to these other locations? I understand why you don't want to repeat your story here. I'm happy to read the other posts if you tell me where they are located. Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
At any rate, I still dream of a retirement abroad, though it's challenging with all the restrictions in EU countries.
I've been researching retiring to France for at least six months now. I know it's possible to get a resident visa for France, Spain, Italy and Portugal. I didn't look at the UK but that may be possible too. France doesn't have a specific retiree visa, but it allows you to reside there long term without working. There is a complex set of bureaucratic procedures required to get and maintain the permission to stay there, but people seem to do it all the time. There are good expat boards for almost any country to answer questions about moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement