Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
Search-View Property

Here's an idea...buy this gorgeous former B&B in lovely Clifton, Tenn.....5 women chipping in $40K each and it's yours! (Spare bedroom for guests?) I've been looking myself in Tennessee and this one caught my eye...
well, i did visit....and the worst thing about visiting is when you start to peek at the other possibilities.............i could sure fall in love with the former White Elephant B & B there in historic Savannah, TN - ummm, 4 women chipping in 150 thous each....sigh....but nice idea
(i even have a large ceramic white elephant! to add to the decor!)

Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
... former B&B in lovely Clifton, Tenn.....5 women chipping in $40K each and it's yours! ...I've been looking myself in Tennessee and this one caught my eye...
Quote:
White Elephant B & B there in historic Savannah, TN...

OK ! both are very nice, and I think the sellers have a great idea (Sell your home with all your junk!!!, we should just move with only a 'napsack' of OUR own junk )

Now, find one of these in the Tri-cities or Knoxville region (a tad cooler)
Preferably one that will never need painting or a new roof. I can imagine the hours to keep up the grounds would actually seem like a breeze if chores could be shared. (since some of us have been maintaining these joints by ourselves, not sure I'm 'able' to maintain this pace for another 40+ yrs).

This week has reminded me to 'look-ahead', as I've been helping seniors who bit off these projects when they were ONLY age 70-75. 10 Yrs later = a tad different energy, capability, and activity ability. & age 70 is not too far off (in early retiree time)

Old 04-24-2010, 04:01 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OK ! both are very nice, and I think the sellers have a great idea (Sell your home with all your junk!!!, we should just move with only a 'napsack' of OUR own junk )

Now, find one of these in the Tri-cities or Knoxville region (a tad cooler)
Preferably one that will never need painting or a new roof. I can imagine the hours to keep up the grounds would actually seem like a breeze if chores could be shared. (since some of us have been maintaining these joints by ourselves, not sure I'm 'able' to maintain this pace for another 40+ yrs).

This week has reminded me to 'look-ahead', as I've been helping seniors who bit off these projects when they were ONLY age 70-75. 10 Yrs later = a tad different energy, capability, and activity ability. & age 70 is not too far off (in early retiree time)
Yes. I've kind of been there done that and now want a change. As spring comes and the ceaseless demands of my country property asserts itself, I'm struck more and more at how I no longer want to be tied to it. There are so many other things I want do now that I have time and am not tied to a job. Not to mention the specter of dimishing abilities as I age.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
While I adore the "Golden Girls" idea, I know my personality is not suited to sharing a home. I can barely get along with my own mother when I visit her in FL, and we'll see how it goes when she comes to visit me this summer. Whenever I stay with a friend on vacation, or a friend stays with me, everything gets on my nerves by the end of the visit. I'm either too set in my ways, or just a grouch....I dunno, but it's one of the reasons I'm done with any romantic relationship. I like living alone and only having myself to answer to. I have tons of friends and family, so I'm not lonely, but I like my alone time. Can sleep late, watch whatever I want on TV, eat leftover pizza for dinner, stay on the computer all day, and leave dishes in the sink with no one to complain (except me, to myself!). I think at this point in my life, I just don't feel like sharing. I wish I could be more laid-back and easygoing, but I yam what I yam...lol.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
While I adore the "Golden Girls" idea, I know my personality is not suited to sharing a home. I can barely get along with my own mother when I visit her in FL, and we'll see how it goes when she comes to visit me this summer. Whenever I stay with a friend on vacation, or a friend stays with me, everything gets on my nerves by the end of the visit. I'm either too set in my ways, or just a grouch....I dunno, but it's one of the reasons I'm done with any romantic relationship. I like living alone and only having myself to answer to. I have tons of friends and family, so I'm not lonely, but I like my alone time. Can sleep late, watch whatever I want on TV, eat leftover pizza for dinner, stay on the computer all day, and leave dishes in the sink with no one to complain (except me, to myself!). I think at this point in my life, I just don't feel like sharing. I wish I could be more laid-back and easygoing, but I yam what I yam...lol.
I hear 'ya! I have lived alone for most of my life and I can't imagine sharing. I have good neighbors in my buildings and a few good friends and that's fine for me. I love them dearly but would not want to live with any of them and probably vice-versa.

I am also done with romantic relationships. I have had a few but I have discovered I am a lot better at choosing cats to live with than I am at choosing men. So my only roommates have been and always will be that of the four-legged furry kind.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:07 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I hear 'ya! I have lived alone for most of my life and I can't imagine sharing. I have good neighbors in my buildings and a few good friends and that's fine for me. I love them dearly but would not want to live with any of them and probably vice-versa.

I am also done with romantic relationships. I have had a few but I have discovered I am a lot better at choosing cats to live with than I am at choosing men. So my only roommates have been and always will be that of the four-legged furry kind.

laughing laughing laughing -

i can so relate, guys.

the kumbaya in me wants community,peace, love and woodstock -

the "hyper-drive/attention-deficit/eat popcorn for dinner-couscous for breakfast/make really big messes in an entire house while painfully organizing a dresser drawer" in me figures it probably couldn't work.

I would be voted off the island the first week.

But I do so love those old houses with character and vintage charm. sigh..............

i wonder if this is why my parents never told me where they moved....

why can't people just be like me and then we would all get along????

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 AM

419 posts, read 758,541 times
I so agree with the above posters. I live in a small condo complex with 43 units. My condo is about 1,000 sq. ft. and it is my sanctuary. It is mine and I do whatever I want to do , and whenever I please. It is heaven.

There are quite a few single women living in the complex and they have all been very friendly and welcoming to me. However, at the end of the day, we all shut the doors behind us, to our individual homes.

I have become good friends with one woman who happens to be married. She is my age but her husband is 82. Because of some health challenges and attitude, he is not interested in going out to many places with her. He enjoys meeting his cronies at a local restaurant several times a week and spends the rest of his day and evenings watching TV. However, he doesn't mind , if she goes out and does her own thing, so that is a good. My friend, cooks his meals, does his laundry, cleans house, washes his car and picks up his meds. I guess I am selfish, but that kind of existence doesn't appeal to me.

Whenever I meet single women who are desperately looking for a man, I let them know right away that I am of no competition to them. Surprisingly enough, I have not met many women like that since living here.

By the way, my 2 kitties love it here too. We are one happy family.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
I agree with the last several posters. After I left home, I lived in a house that had been divided into studio apartments rented by other young people. There was always someone available to go out to dinner or to a movie, yet we all had our privacy.

I'm still living where I lived when I was working, in an apartment complex geared toward single professionals. My friends live in other parts of the Bay Area and because of schedules, traffic and parking problems, getting together for lunch or dinner takes literally weeks of planning. I'd like to live where I could get together with friends as I used to, without all the hassle.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Talking Avalon08.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
LOL LOL ~ ditto to everything you said/wrote

Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,193 times
Wink At peace alone but not lonely.

Hello all. I haven't posted here in quite a while, but have kept up with most of the posts.

My husband and I moved here in the country near Branson MO three years ago this month. Two years ago next month he died. Since that time, I have tossed around the "where to go" thing yet again. He and I tossed that question around for years...tried Las Vegas, then this area. I felt like I had to toss it around again for me....just me.

In January I had a moment of clarity. The question was moot. Did I need to move to be happy? Did I hate winter enough to go south? Would I find happiness someplace else? The answer to all of those questions was "maybe"..or maybe not.

I have finally found peace with being alone. Although I do have a black lab so technically I'm not "alone". I am not lonely. I have made friends thru joining a womens club (I'm typically not a club joiner), by taking my dog to the park, by going to dog training, and by opening myself up to new experiences that I would have NEVER done when my husband was part of life.

I am not sure that I'll stay here in this house in the country for the long haul, but any move will be for reasons of freedom from upkeep. I'll stay close enough to keep the friends I've made and not have to start over once again.
If I had it to do over, I would have stayed in my home state...just a smaller home with less expense. I haven't quit dreaming, I have just moved on from the dream to reality....and making that life happen. Travel, friends, etc.

So to all of you who are still dreaming, go for it. Then take it and run with it, and live it. You never know what twists of life will change your direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.