Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,220 times

Advertisements

Ha! You made me laugh this early in the morning!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
Umbria, you really got remarried. OK, congrats! He may be moving to Denver next year? Aren't you both together now if you're remarried? Too early and I'm so confused.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:27 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
No she is not remarried. She was referring back to when they did get married.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Ha! No, we are not remarried and since I plan to "use my head", we will not remarry. We make better friends. We've always (almost always) liked each other so why ruin a good thing

Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Oh ladies~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just have to share this with you: My ex husband stopped by tonight - totally unexpected. He's here from Cleveland (he moved back 5 years ago when his brother was ill). We had such a great talk and it's like we were when we first met - then we did the really dumb thing and got married What a strange relationship we have. Now we are good friends like we use to be. He may be moving to Denver next year too - it would be nice to have someone to count on. We still have the same last name so we can say we are brother & sister

OK - carry on~~~~~~~~~
lol - i can relate - my husband/ex-husband/husband/to-be-ex husband is scouting houses with my daughter this week in virginia/doing the initial look/see to check what is available. His idea is we do something that could be a shared dual house/duplex on one lot and he'll rent from me for at least a year and then i can find one of you guys that's interested in moving to virginia to move in to the other half and he'll leave. Like i said, LOL -

growing older surely does make strange relationships.

I do enjoy his company at times/totally dislike his company at others and would relish him being in the same area as me so that nothing seems too foreign, at least for a while. we don't have the same last name so no one has any idea what our relationship is but i don't think anyone believes we are legally married....
to clear up any confusion, yes, the husband/ex/husb/to be ex/perspective property share but not residence share are all the same person..........he just doesn't want me in his kitchen or bathroom and i don't want him in my 24 hour a day life. i have told him i would like to be his friend and he's great to play board games with but he's also an sob when he wishes to be and i am too nice to live with an sob.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:44 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Forgive me for saying so, but you seem conflicted. No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
lol - i can relate - my husband/ex-husband/husband/to-be-ex husband is scouting houses with my daughter this week in virginia/doing the initial look/see to check what is available. His idea is we do something that could be a shared dual house/duplex on one lot and he'll rent from me for at least a year and then i can find one of you guys that's interested in moving to virginia to move in to the other half and he'll leave. Like i said, LOL -

growing older surely does make strange relationships.

I do enjoy his company at times/totally dislike his company at others and would relish him being in the same area as me so that nothing seems too foreign, at least for a while. we don't have the same last name so no one has any idea what our relationship is but i don't think anyone believes we are legally married....
to clear up any confusion, yes, the husband/ex/husb/to be ex/perspective property share but not residence share are all the same person..........he just doesn't want me in his kitchen or bathroom and i don't want him in my 24 hour a day life. i have told him i would like to be his friend and he's great to play board games with but he's also an sob when he wishes to be and i am too nice to live with an sob.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Forgive me for saying so, but you seem conflicted. No?
oh not really - but i definitely forgive you. years ago, i would have held myself in constant prayer. (now I figure God is pretty aware of all of this and doesn't need me to check in on an hourly basis)

it was screwy enough writing it - can't imagine how it was reading it. I could just so relate to what umbria was saying - and she drives a miata so we have a certain kinship that apparently goes beyond car likes.

with that said however, i always figure that being upfront with how weird one's life is maybe gives comfort to someone else who is thinking "no one would understand that my life is insane".

So i hope that in my being candid on the non-normalcy of some relationships perhaps gives solace to someone who is hiding such a secret and can now feel less alone.

my ability to laugh about the coyote chewing my leg off has always allowed me to survive......... crunch crunch

Old 08-14-2011, 04:41 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
it was screwy enough writing it - can't imagine how it was reading it. I could just so relate to what umbria was saying - and she drives a miata so we have a certain kinship that apparently goes beyond car likes.

with that said however, i always figure that being upfront with how weird one's life is maybe gives comfort to someone else who is thinking "no one would understand that my life is insane".

So i hope that in my being candid on the non-normalcy of some relationships perhaps gives solace to someone who is hiding such a secret and can now feel less alone.

my ability to laugh about the coyote chewing my leg off has always allowed me to survive......... crunch crunch
I've noticed many similarities or a "kinship" also Maybe someday you can drive my Miata - relive that little joy.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
This discussion has turned Fellini-esque.... the whole absurdity of life...

In the spirit, I just relieved my boredom and feeling of life's insanity by watching Fellini's "Ginger and Fred" (Italian but subtitled )....with Marcelo Mastroiani and Giulietta Masina...One of the best statements on aging I've ever seen, and also on relationships in older years...and also on aging in general....watch it (I think you can download it from the Net on adobe).

MORE than 40 years after the height of their fame, which wasn't exactly international to begin with, Amelia (Giulietta Masina) and Pippo (Marcello Mastroianni) are brought out of retirement to reprise their ballroom dance act, ''Ginger and Fred,'' on a television variety show called ''We Are Proud to Present.'' Hilarious and endearing, a real cinematic treat... www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8EfE-j2cY

Oh just found this, Ginger at 92! www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-o5gwi4HI watch all the way through, it just gets better

Apologies for off topic!

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-14-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
[quote=mzfroggez;20454084
to clear up any confusion, yes, the husband/ex/husb/to be ex/perspective property share but not residence share are all the same person..........he just doesn't want me in his kitchen or bathroom and i don't want him in my 24 hour a day life. i have told him i would like to be his friend and he's great to play board games with but he's also an sob when he wishes to be and i am too nice to live with an sob.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. I think the movies have perpetuated too many unrealistic romantic notions of what a relationship should be like. We expect to like someone all the time? Can't even say I like myself all the time and would like to send my grumpy self to another house at times. I have very good friends who have separate houses and it is probably why they've been together so long.

We seem able to learn to negotiate the things we don't like in our women friends (doing the things you enjoy with them and not the things that you don't.) I see no reason why male friends should be any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.