Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM

379 posts, read 534,376 times

Advertisements

Thank you MichiganTransplant for your kind words. I appreciate them more than you know.

Back in our trucking days, my husband and I went through a lot of Texas. There is some beautiful country there. San Antonio is a really beautiful city; I've seen travel shows about it as well and love that downtown.

So are you saying you are considering going back to SA?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,039,594 times
This is such a great thread! I have to say Texas always had some appeal for me; for one thing, it's close to Colorado so I could see family more often. My mother loved the San Antonio Riverwalk & her description of it some years ago from a retired woman's perspective was intriguing. I spent some time in Texas many years ago during company training for an airline...I love music of all kinds, but especially the dancing kind! I noticed the men were gentlemen and loved to dance - - is that too much to hope for after age 55 +? I remember thinking Texas hill country was so unique in its beauty... Which brings me to my big deal breaker for TX: wild critters! I know that sounds silly - there are snakes, spiders, and scorpions in much of the US, but it seems like they are in abundance in Texas!

tngirl205, you are very inspiring. My husband's death six years ago is something I still haven't dealt with...the only positive to that is my patience and compassion for others is at an all time high. You took charge and are shaping your life to your wants and needs...from where I sit that is priceless.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
If you had waited any longer you may have ended up in that "rut" that is so hard to climb out of.

Which is just where I am. The tricky part is taking the leap before you reach the bottom of the rut. The 2008 crash hit right when I was trying to get my bearings....shame I couldn't have nipped the profound sense of overwhelm before that...now I just have to accept and move forward.

The comments and insights all of you share here really go a long way.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,404,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I couldn't agree more. It has to be the insecurity thing. Single women pose a real threat and I can somewhat understand since there are lots of women out there that will snatch & grab anything with a pulse - married or not. This makes it tough on the rest of us.

I keep hearing how women stick together ~ blah blah blah. It's really just the opposite. Other women are viewed as competition to many women - until they can get over this, snarky behavior will continue. I've said it before and I'll say it agan - my worst nightmare would be a "Golden Girls" type living arrangement because it would be nothing like the TV show. It would make my 26 years working in a corporate environment seem like a walk in the park.

Ever notice that men don't feel the need to do the same?
Men just do it different (IMO) - I'm friendly and if I talk to a single guy and he's not attracted he won't interact often to the point of rudeness. People's insecurities come out in all kinds of weird ways. Fortunately I have found both men and women who aren't. I agree with NEG about boredom. People who are bored tend to be not much fun to be around--creating drama where there is none and having nothing interesting to talk about.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,855,272 times
tngirl205, congratulations on your new dwelling place. One of my dearest friends, now 82 years old, lives in my apt buiding. Her husband passed away a little over a year ago and she also felt she couldn't to stay in the place where they had lived together. So she just moved to another smaller apartment right across the parking lot! A very short move in distance but a move that was so great for her because she had a fresh start without leaving all her friends, and the ammenities she needs and is familiar with are close by to her. She loves her new place and it has worked out wonderfully in every way (and for me too because I still have her close by

Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM

379 posts, read 534,376 times
This is such a great thread that just keeps on going and going. You all are a remarkable group of women. Thank you for your comments and understanding and support in my decision.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 AM

5,587 posts, read 6,519,238 times
Lightbulb Check Out this Site

Williams Auctions. (All Real Estate Auctions). I looked at a condo in Michigan last fall when I was visiting in Michigan, was impressed by it and emailed them. It sold but I am on their email and they periodically send me an email about their auctions. The link/page I included above came from the "state" page, which lists by state the auctions for that month/currently. I clicked and looked at the popular states that our posters talk about, it is an informative site. Hope it helps one of my/our comrades!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Thank you, Michigan Transplant!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post

Anyone care to comment on Texas/San Antonio as a retirement destination?
SA will be the site of one of my 'econo-abodes' (Due to HIGH TX property taxes on Improvements, and VERY low on real property). I will have a rural place with the main house and property rented out, BUT at a separate entrance, there will be a shop with apartment / cottage for me. + RV hookups and showers / community kitchen for my friends in the shop (away from view of Tax assessor, whom I see in court tomorrow...AGAIN). TX has very liberal rural code and 'friends in RV's' can stay for quite awhile. I prefer Kerrville (good senior community), but probably end up in Wimberley, as it avails close proximity to either AUS or SAN for cheap airfare. (Just booked AUS for $189RT from PDX. I like to go during canal lights (will be there first week of Dec)). Also will book for March for Blue Bonnets. I will keep CHEAP transportation at each site (I will have ~ 4 econo-abodes across USA) and fly between them. (or drive if I feel like it). I will also have a place in Thailand or the Philippines for healthcare (since I have SO MANY YRS to medicare... as if there will be ANYTHING left of that...)

When I get SICK of doing this,,, jumping from place to place... I will sell them on contract to give me 30 yrs of income @ 8%. ALL my places will be in Income tax free states, my domicile in SD (only 1 night / yr required!!, lowest of any states AFAIK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
...Thank you for your comments and understanding and support in my decision.
Glad to hear from you, and your quest to 'endure' and make the best of the current situation.
I have helped many seniors transition from spouse / caregiver, and I suggest you find some fun interests to pursue and enjoy the break. (I got 7 yrs break after 32 yrs of caring for a sick parent then to a sick spouse...)

TOO bad you are so far in NW TN, I will be in NE TN (likely JC or Jonesborough), with econo-abode and senior village / farm, community concept). I NEED mtns and COOL. Will be there in Oct for fall colors. Hope to buy at least one of the above.

But BEFORE that I need to go to San Diego (rough spot for a monthly Business trip...) and China (actually QUITE a rough spot for Business Trip, but food and service is good, and I LUV the Chinese sense of Humor), then to East Coast (Fall colors / vacation / buy TN property), then to Thailand for Nov (Compliments of my new 'temp' (old) job) and TX in Dec (hopefully buy a prop there). My work project is moving from China to Thailand (darn), so I hope to live there from Jan - May(w/ trip to TX in March), and head back to PNWe_t when the flowers come out and rain (drizzle) subsides. (GREAT summers)

Wishing you the best and hope the new abodes work out for all of you. Since I'm stricken with wanderlust... I will keep wandering (wondering)...

And my multiple places... think CHEAP... I've been known to buy them for under $50k (trashed home on acreage with POTENTIAL and good rents). Few people have the 'vision' or energy (or are STUPID... enough) to put themselves through this Time and TIME again.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:29 AM

977 posts, read 1,110,395 times
Hello! have tried to rep several of you...told, yet again, to "spread it around".....*sigh* I am feeling more hopeful because I had a successful trip "back home" to the midwest for an art show and saw so many old friends, plus family. it was hard to leave them. But one reason for my hopeful feeling is that when I got back i had several new friends call and check on me! Wow! how nice. i met them in a support group for fibro.

Still don't know where i will wind up. Thanks for your comments/suggestions/empathy. i will check out Co again as mentioned. (can't remember poster, but thanks!)

just knowing someone cares means so much! And you are such a great group of women! You encourage me, inspire me, support me....the only thing lacking is actual contact, which would be so nice. maybe someday.

BTW, I loved Sn Antonio when I visited years ago.....Riverwalk was amazing. But i was a lot younger then......

Anyway, just haven't had time to get back to you. Will check again soon. Thanks for kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement