Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 05:55 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times

Advertisements

I am taking this week off, so I have some time to post during the day. We are, for the most part, members of the Baby Boomer generation. There are lots of us! Our incoming president, Barack Obama, is very open to hearing ideas from everybody. Here is his website: Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team

What if we work up a plan, let him (his staff) know our ideas which might be useful for millions of retirees, and ask for a grant to help get things started? This idea may seem farfetched, but if it would become a template for other retirement communities, we might succeed in what we want to create and help others. What do you think??

Old 12-29-2008, 06:04 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
I was all set to move to Bellingham, WA but can't leave my granddaughter. I picked Bellingham because 1) it's very, very pretty and large enough 2)I can't afford Seattle, but can easily drive there from Bellingham; 3) housing is affordable; 4) I can get to Vancouver, BC and environs in an hour at most, 5) that part of the country is my favorite even with the cloudy, but mild, winters; 5) I still can get some snow in Bellingham

Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Okay, I have an idea. This is something we can do on our own in each of our own homes. The cat mystery book gave me this idea. Perhaps, we are the cats that need to speak!

We are women, we are living alone, we want a different life, but want to have a community of like-minded women who have guts, have had life experiences that have made them strong -- very strong -- but also make them want to now have a support system -- being strong and doing so much alone does take its toll. But....we also have lots of individual, interesting experiences between us.

I know that many of us can write well (it's obvious from this thread), so .... I suggest that we each write a "chapter" of a book about our lives, how we got to where we are today. I'm sure many of us have had all kinds of ups and downs. I'm sure we have met and known many interesting/weird/famous/crazy people. Maybe there is one pivotal event, or one person who changed our path. And we are from all over the country -- so our stories will reflect those different stages in our lives and the influences of the places we have lived.

If we had maybe five to ten women contributing (the more the merrier), I think we could forge a new meaning to boomers retiring. Everyone has a story to tell. No life is devoid of experiences. Some are more "normal" and some are not. But I'll make a bet we've had some interesting interactions, travels, loves, hates, children, husbands (and ex's), late starts on some things, early starts on others. I have a feeling it could be very colorful!

I know I have had quite a colorful life, myself, and have known all kinds of people that make for interesting stories when I talk with people. I do not suggesting posting any stories here, but rather, those of us, if any, who might want to blend our stories and what our lives have held, the similarities, the differences, but what in the end brought us together could be very interesting -- and helpful to others.

I love to write, and I've had articles published, but have not had time to pursue free-lance writing too much, and have not had a big chunk of time where I could sit and write about my experiences at one time. Maybe now with my daughter in college, and having more time to myself, but sans the dramas of the past, I might be able to pull it together, finally.

If anyone is interested, let's put our names out here, and then we can privately work as a group via PMing and emailing and phoning. I am sure we could mold it into a cohesive "story" with not only interesting life events, but also a "life lesson," and a creation of community -- be it together or not.

I think a chronology of our lives ("I was born in the barn of my grandparents' farm, and the cows mooed so loudly I got collick....") would not be as interesting as bits and pieces, stories of who we are, why we are who we are, the people who have affected us -- in good and bad ways; what stands out as a memory that has impacted us, perhaps, given us a new definition of our lives. Sort of like swatches of colors from each of us to make a tapestry of life that is compelling. I do believe we have women here who are like that. I will volunteer to do the editing, compiling, all the word processing, etc. I just feel we have a story to tell, and a compelling one at that.

For me, I find it easier and more motivating to work in a group. When I teach my art class, I find that most of the students (who are usually older adults) also find that learning how to draw realistically by using the model of the book by Betty Edwards, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," feel that they just couldn't plow through the exercises in the book alone. Yet, as a group, they literally go from stick figures to realism in the seven-week course! It is really transformational for many of them. I feel the same way about this, if we do take on a project of this sort. There is so much creativity and experience out there, but it's hard to harness it all alone.

So, that is my suggestion for the evening.....One of my cats is "talking" to me now outside....of course, I'm ignoring him at the moment -- he'll survive...he's got a fur coat! They're like little children!

Thanks for letting me put that out there -- maybe it is a silly thought, but it seems like we have so much to give, and have gone through so much, lived in so many places, and I'm sure there are things we don't put on a message board that are also interesting and compelling. If anyone's interested, just let me know.
This sounds like a fun challenge. I've been missing writing in college since graduating last December but have had no time since buying this house. I'm starting to see the end of big house projects and have considered taking a class at the college about women writing about their lives just to get me writing again. I'm interested--great idea.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I am taking this week off, so I have some time to post during the day. We are, for the most part, members of the Baby Boomer generation. There are lots of us! Our incoming president, Barack Obama, is very open to hearing ideas from everybody. Here is his website: Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team

What if we work up a plan, let him (his staff) know our ideas which might be useful for millions of retirees, and ask for a grant to help get things started? This idea may seem farfetched, but if it would become a template for other retirement communities, we might succeed in what we want to create and help others. What do you think??
Great idea Plantlover. Doesn't sound so far fetched just challenging to get the organization done with all of us so far from each other. Wanna come over for a potluck and planning session?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 AM

I'm glad to see this has kept going thru the holidays. I've kept up with reading and tried to post a couple of times but they disappeared and I didn't have time to rewrite them. Hope every ones holidays were good. I hit the wall on Christmas Day after the kids all left. That "what now" syndrome and very quiet lonely house made me wish I lived in a community with a space to go knit and be with others. Thought about moving closer to my granddaughter and family in PA eventually but realistically know I wouldn't like it other than the time spent with them. Reading the posts here helped. I hope eventually to be able to work from home until retiring and move whereever I want but don't know anywhere else I'd want to live. I am tired of this snow and cold weather. Today I am meeting a woman looking for a place to rent. It was nice having someone else in the house during the holidays and I have one bedroom and bath I never use. It is interesting to hear what constitutes a small house. Mine is 1,100 sq ft with a single car garage and after living in a small mobile home for the last five years this place seems huge for one person.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Quote:
Dancingearth : I'm glad to see this has kept going thru the holidays. I've kept up with reading and tried to post a couple of times but they disappeared and I didn't have time to rewrite them. Hope every ones holidays were good. I hit the wall on Christmas Day after the kids all left. That "what now" syndrome and very quiet lonely house made me wish I lived in a community with a space to go knit and be with others. Thought about moving closer to my granddaughter and family in PA eventually but realistically know I wouldn't like it other than the time spent with them. Reading the posts here helped. I hope eventually to be able to work from home until retiring and move whereever I want but don't know anywhere else I'd want to live. I am tired of this snow and cold weather. Today I am meeting a woman looking for a place to rent. It was nice having someone else in the house during the holidays and I have one bedroom and bath I never use. It is interesting to hear what constitutes a small house. Mine is 1,100 sq ft with a single car garage and after living in a small mobile home for the last five years this place seems huge for one person.
I know what you mean about the "what now?" syndrome! My daughter left on Saturday to go to her boyfriend's parents' house -- it felt "normal" when she was home, and then, suddenly, there I was alone again! It was such a strange feeling. But I agree -- PA? My family is in NYS, but I already know from experience that I rarely see them except on holidays when I live back there -- and now I have no friends left there -- they all moved or died..... So, every once in awhile I think about going back, but then reality sets in and I remember that out of 365 days of the year, I might see them a maximum of five days a year. Plus, we are far apart in age and have very different interests and lifestyles, so it doesn't make any sense. I just think that during the holidays with the media influence, we often start thinking about family, being together, the ideal...

I have a New Mexico screensaver also on my computer at work (I have a few) and put that on....gee, I miss that desert feeling. I will have to get a trip out there again soon. Whether I buy or sell a house/apartment, it does feel good there. Of course, I am still looking at other places, and it will be dependent on how the package comes together, but I still have good thoughts about New Mexico and those vast, wide open spaces with that beautiful blue sky.

Okay, one for the writing project! I took a woman's writing class a year and a half ago, and it was good being around other people. I didn't learn any techniques, but it was still good just being around others who enjoyed writing.

Plantlover, I think a grant is a great idea. I know we had discussed this possibility before, however, as you said, with a new administration coming in, maybe they will want to do something with us boomers! I'm sure some younger folks are a bit nervous that we will drain the coffers, and an alternative living arrangement might be appealing to those in charge!

I'm back at work, so I have to go. See you later!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default Excellent idea !

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post

This is the best solution !!

But then we're back to the quandary of WHERE ?????

Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
This is the best solution !!

But then we're back to the quandary of WHERE ?????
Maybe we should each list our needs-wants and dislikes and see what we come up with. I will start...

Need:
low cost of living
moderate climate - prefer a little cooler, tired of 7-month long, humid summers
relatively good soil
in the U.S.A
near hiking, nature areas

Dislikes
hurricanes!!
high crime
high property insurance costs (hurricanes)
heavy traffic
hot weather

Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Sort of like swatches of colors from each of us to make a tapestry of life that is compelling. I do believe we have women here who are like that. I will volunteer to do the editing, compiling, all the word processing, etc. I just feel we have a story to tell, and a compelling one at that.

Sounds very interesting wisteria.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
I'm in with the "W" plan and also with plantlover's - since the Bush administration left us all broke, a meager bailout of a couple billion should get us on our way.

Now, have you all thought about what it might be really like living with a bunch a women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement