Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 AM

505 posts, read 717,051 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to chime in and say I have appreciated this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,940,192 times
I am now 79 and from 70 something on ageing takes over eventhough I do not smoke,drink nor am overweight.At age77 I had heart attack from blocked artery and am doing fine.My sister awhile back said wait till you reach 70 and eventually you will hit a stone wall,I laughed but now know she was right.
I just wish my cholestrol was better,all of the statins cause severe reaction,I like meat to much to go vegitarian,not a big meat eater.You just have to roll with the hand dealt to you.
Health care is scary,costly.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,954,251 times
I'm going to be 59 soon, and I'm starting to deal with some medical issues. I don't like it, but intellectually I understand that growing older often means the body starts having problems. Having said that, I am not resigned to a life of diminished health ... rather I go see the doctor if something is wrong.

I never had back problems until a few weeks ago. I was at the gym tying my shoelaces and suddenly my lower back hurt. The pain and stiffness lasted for about 3 hours.

On the 16th I'm going to see a Urologist because last month I had a digital prostate exam, and apparently my prostate is not enlarged but "asymmetrical." Also my PSA blood score was slightly elevated.

Otherwise I feel fine, and I wanna lose 5 pounds I put on over the holidays. I'm going to deal with - and not ignore - each problem as it comes up. Not going to let an aging body get me down.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm going to be 59 soon, and I'm starting to deal with some medical issues. I don't like it, but intellectually I understand that growing older often means the body starts having problems. Having said that, I am not resigned to a life of diminished health ... rather I go see the doctor if something is wrong.

I never had back problems until a few weeks ago. I was at the gym tying my shoelaces and suddenly my lower back hurt. The pain and stiffness lasted for about 3 hours.

On the 16th I'm going to see a Urologist because last month I had a digital prostate exam, and apparently my prostate is not enlarged but "asymmetrical." Also my PSA blood score was slightly elevated.

Otherwise I feel fine, and I wanna lose 5 pounds I put on over the holidays. I'm going to deal with - and not ignore - each problem as it comes up. Not going to let an aging body get me down.

when i was 59, 10 1/2 years ago, i had no significant health/aging problems and can honestly say that age was not a consideration in moving to a two story house two years later, at 62. i still, fortunately, have no health problems that interfere with my everyday life, but i have to say that after 65, your viewpoint on aging seems to change. at least mine did. age 70 looms ahead, and in my work experience as a social worker, and in my own family experience, having been born to middle-aged parents, age 70 can be a turning point in the aging process, in spite of a healthy life style. other factors that affect this perspective, are friends who die suddenly, as two of mine did, although it seemed both had no major health problems. another friend who is my age recently had a stroke and is still in rehab after two months. she may not be able to return to her home and live alone. this particular person walked everywhere in the small town where she lived, was very careful about what she ate, and was not overweight. i don't mean to be the harbinger of doom, and i think it's important to try and make lifestyle choices which support longevity. but, as we age, stuff happens in spite of what we do, and sometimes the aging body reaches a point where it can no longer function as it once did, regardless of our efforts.

did i think that much about some of these changes when i was in my fifties?. i did to some degree because of working with a geriatric population, but i think about these changes as real possibilities now that i am older. some of us will age better than others, but we will age, regardless. i think the only thing we can do is to plan with that in mind, and hope we will be the exception who avoids major health problems as they age, and remains independent.

catsy girl

Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
At 59 I was still pretty robust with few, if any problems. Now, at going-on 67, I also go to my doctor if I suspect anything going wrong. The down-side is that, so far, I've been right each time. Something is decidedly amiss.

Ah, the joys of aging!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
So....several people on here near the age of 70 are attesting to that age as a turning point, either physically or psychologically or both. Those of us who are on the younger side of 70 have a few years left in our present locations to decide whether to stay put for the duration (of life) or make some kind of move somewhere around the age of 70, give or take a few years. Those of us who have spouses or partners have to think about what happens if....(who goes first, and what that means in terms of where we live now). Some couples agree and are on the same page, others do not and are not....slowing down any change. Anyone here see a planned move within say the next 5 years?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,322,153 times
yes, i can't stay in my home here for the long term (age 61). It is too hard for me to keep it up. I need to downsize once I am fully retired.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,954,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post

... age 70 can be a turning point in the aging process, in spite of a healthy life style. other factors that affect this perspective, are friends who die suddenly, as two of mine did, although it seemed both had no major health problems ...

... i don't mean to be the harbinger of doom, and i think it's important to try and make lifestyle choices which support longevity. but, as we age, stuff happens in spite of what we do, and sometimes the aging body reaches a point where it can no longer function as it once did, regardless of our efforts.

catsy girl
catsy girl, I hear you loud 'n clear.

I am not in denial about the fact that our aging bodies break down. You are right, no matter how hard we try to stay healthy, medical issues arise despite all our efforts. Yet, I firmly believe we have to keep trying to maintain our health as best we can.

Certain medical issues run in our families. In my family, there is a history of diabetes. That is why I went to the gym today, and yesterday, and the day before. I go to the gym 4 - 5 days a week. I want to keep the extra weight off. Nothing triggers Type 2 diabetes like obesity if it runs in your family.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
I know one thing, is to change the things you can.

For example, if your vision goes and you can no longer drive, it is time to sell your house ten miles out of town, and look at a condo in walking distance of a store.

Same with your health....no one wants to use a walker. But, it can prevent falls. Helps you keep active.

The biggest problem I see is people not accepting the limitations, and continuing full barrel, doing what they used to do...a man, age 90, in the hospital for falling in the snow while chopping wood. Why is he chopping wood? Why is he outside alone, in snow and ice? Without a walker or cane?

Sorry you have health issues. Try to not make them worse. And change your life to accommodate your issues. Don't fight them, or deny them. It makes you less independent, not more independent.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,940,192 times
As gentleman say's about gym,my brother in law age 81 worked out several times aweek and appeared healthy with no vices,he got taken out in 6 months just a few weeks ago by pancreatic cancer,nasty,nasty.
I would like to add which I have posted elsewhere about making sure you have all your power of attorney's and will up to date.I had none when I had heart attack so wife was placed in helples,hopeless situation.
We were in CT and heart attack struck on 11/10/2010.We were visiting from FL and since we are paperless,every thing eft,I did not think about my debit card which expires in Nov which my wife was using.They do not forward these cards,they are return to sender and card is cancelled at expiration.My wife found out when she tried to pump gas and was denied,ironically the previous year we were in Ct and her card was cancelled.Luckily we had emergency money stashed and resolved this in rehab.
. Eventhough our accounts our joint,she could not order card,we now have power of attorney on each account to cover this situation.We had to do temporary change of address to Ct to receive new cards.

Last edited by DanBev; 01-06-2013 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement