Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Sorry folks...placing this thread in retirement, as not just anyone will understand.

Like many of you, I was very healthy for most of my life... no major surgery, not even a fracture or hospitalization.

But NOW...

I am not here to whine but request suggestions on how to cope with this fact: our bodies begin to betray us...Pain, multiple medicines, aches, aging knees and teeth and eyes....and then memory issues...skin changes, feet with bunions or whatever....

How can I keep from feeling sad? I know to acknowledge that I FEEL sad about it, but still...the feeling remains....every day.

Would you please share your reactions to aging...
what you do to arrive at a more accepting attitude, a more peaceful place in your mind?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
I am making a MAJOR change in my diet after experiencing chronic problems despite "eating healthy" for many, many years. It appears that we can eat "natural foods" and still be making dietary mistakes. I have found for several years that mood swings (including feeling down), stubborn weight despite "eating natural" and little, and several other chronic problems may be related to several foods that I never thought too much about: wheat (of any kind in anything), animal foods and dairy (my particular liver doesn't handle these too well - esp too when you're not super active and also aging), and sugars (even the "good" kind like honey).

I read the book Wheat Belly and it all starts to make sense. I have a small circle of friends who are starting to follow that book as well as the Forks Over Knives approach to eating.

You could look into it for depression.
Wheat and . . . depression | Wheat Belly Blog

Cattknap, a regular poster on here, also pointed me to the City Data Vegetarian/Vegan Forum, with lots of ideas.

First though you might want to get a total physical exam, to see if there's anything easy to spot before tackling diet. Then you can gear your particular diet toward that problem. My thing is striving to prevent heart disease, which runs heavily in my family.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Health problems...need suggestions to help me adjust!

You can either sit idly by and watch the progression of all the issues ...

or you can be pro-active about your health.

You've apparently enjoyed good health for many years, so you've got the foundation now to be in better shape than many who have reached your age.

Time to get a full work-up and see if any underlying problems are present. Then off to an ND to get a thorough check-up to see what you can do about all the niggling problems that are starting to surface.

You may find that choosing a more appropriate diet and other lifestyle choices will enhance your ability to deal with the coming years with far fewer problems.

Oh, and if you haven't had a colonoscopy or similar screenings in the last few years ... it's time to do them, just for the preventative opportunity.

Also, beware the "multiple medicines" approach to life at this point. It wouldn't be unusual if you are taking medicines to counteract the side effects of medicines to counteract the side effects of medicines which are masquerading as real problems when in fact they are simply induced problems due to the meds combinations. Ideally, you don't want to be taking all the meds if at all possible.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
OP hang in there. you are not alone

Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP hang in there. you are not alone
That is true.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM

The losses (eyesight, hearing, flexibility), the gains (weight), the chronic ills that just won't let go, the health crisis that scares the s*** out of us...it's all there. What I sometimes get pissed about is how well I've taken care of myself relative to others...and still!!

I realize that now it's a battle against the elements of aging. Some things we can slow down and reverse, and others not. Let's control what we can, and give in graciously to what we cannot. And try to maintain a sense of humor even in the tough times.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Find interest that engage you, and keep you from focusing excessively on yourself and the deterioration associated with aging.

Volunteer, get engaged in civic work, join a group that has activities, participate in assisting kids...

Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
I know exactly what you mean, and, in my opinion, the problem is not the "ageing" itself, but rather the recognition that these changes alter you own self image, and possibly even the way others see you. In short, you are experiencing loss. The only way that I know of to accept loss, is to embrace it, to see each new loss as an opportunity for spiritual gowth, and a "test" of how far you have come in you life, towards enlightenment.

Admitedly, my views are weighted by my belief in reincarnation (could be "heaven", if you prefer), and by many many years of meditation practice, where I have learned to accept that I am not "my thoughts", or "my feelings". . . .the real "me" is the being who "watches", not the one who makes judgements, either of myself or others. Everything that arises will in this universe will also dissipate. . ..we are the product of natual causes, and we will go the way of all living beings. . . . hopefully gaining wisdom and the ability to love more deeply, in each successive "life". . . ...(mind you, I am not making a comment on the nature of "time" here, but just trying to express myself in a way that can be understood. . . .I have come to understand time / space as contiguous process and not as different things.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks, neg....

I have been eating vegetarian for decades. Aware of "wheat belly" but find it very hard to do without...although I have cut down with wheat consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am making a MAJOR change in my diet after experiencing chronic problems despite "eating healthy" for many, many years. It appears that we can eat "natural foods" and still be making dietary mistakes. I have found for several years that mood swings (including feeling down), stubborn weight despite "eating natural" and little, and several other chronic problems may be related to several foods that I never thought too much about: wheat (of any kind in anything), animal foods and dairy (my particular liver doesn't handle these too well - esp too when you're not super active and also aging), and sugars (even the "good" kind like honey).

I read the book Wheat Belly and it all starts to make sense. I have a small circle of friends who are starting to follow that book as well as the Forks Over Knives approach to eating.

You could look into it for depression.
Wheat and . . . depression | Wheat Belly Blog

Cattknap, a regular poster on here, also pointed me to the City Data Vegetarian/Vegan Forum, with lots of ideas.

First though you might want to get a total physical exam, to see if there's anything easy to spot before tackling diet. Then you can gear your particular diet toward that problem. My thing is striving to prevent heart disease, which runs heavily in my family.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Unfortunately, my situation requires use of these meds at the current time. I see my MD every 3 months so we both are very familiar with my problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Health problems...need suggestions to help me adjust!

You can either sit idly by and watch the progression of all the issues ...

or you can be pro-active about your health.

You've apparently enjoyed good health for many years, so you've got the foundation now to be in better shape than many who have reached your age.

Time to get a full work-up and see if any underlying problems are present. Then off to an ND to get a thorough check-up to see what you can do about all the niggling problems that are starting to surface.

You may find that choosing a more appropriate diet and other lifestyle choices will enhance your ability to deal with the coming years with far fewer problems.

Oh, and if you haven't had a colonoscopy or similar screenings in the last few years ... it's time to do them, just for the preventative opportunity.

Also, beware the "multiple medicines" approach to life at this point. It wouldn't be unusual if you are taking medicines to counteract the side effects of medicines to counteract the side effects of medicines which are masquerading as real problems when in fact they are simply induced problems due to the meds combinations. Ideally, you don't want to be taking all the meds if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement