Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 AM

863 posts, read 796,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Those "conservatives" (anyone who believes in fiscal responsibility, not necessarily registered GOP) that folks love to bash as being "selfish" contribute more money, per capita, to NGOs than any other segment of the population. And that's on top of the taxes.
Another "fact" that doesn't fit into others "truth", and one which will never be acknowledged.

Thank you for being far more eloquent than I on the remainder of your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
You left this part out... Because ...
... I didn't buy the bs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
... for the record, I am neither conservative, nor a Republican
One of the more trendy ways to attempt evade being being grouped along with all those others who hold to compatible, antisocial callous disregard for others.

Quote:
Oh boy. Here we go with the safety net whine again.
It sure does seem to pain you to have to acknowledge the existence of moral perspectives when you're attempting to support the immoral perspective you prefer.

Quote:
We have a safety net in this country.
Indeed we do, despite the success that self-centered RWNJs have had over the last thirty-five years or so knocking bits of it down.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,150 times
Broad, personal generalities in response to reasoned, specific arguments.

Quote:

One of the more trendy ways to attempt evade being being grouped along with
all those others who hold to compatible, antisocial callous disregard for
others.
Conversely, rather than responding to specific arguments or perspectives, you simply lump all posters who disagree with you, on a personal level, into a group of "callous, antisocial" people with a disregard for others. Indeed, you have lumped me there based on my personal beliefs, and I'm not ashamed to be grouped one way or another. It's simply erroneous to assume that common sense is exclusive to a single political party. I'm not trying to evade anything at all. Shall we review your own evasion (or simple unwillingness to answer) of my question to you: "What are YOU doing, personally, to help those in need?" You: a member of society. I asked not to deflect my own responsibility (I am doing what I should and what I can) but to point out that if you will call others (who you do not know) callous and selfish, you had better be able to walk the walk.

It's a special level of immaturity to feel you can judge another's character without knowing a thing about them. I have learned over the years that one's political persuasion has very little to do with their honesty, their caring for others, their work ethic, their success level--anything at all, really. I would hesitate to assume anything at all about the character of someone unless I've been shown something specific about that character.

And yes, to the topic, personal responsibility/lack thereof is a character issue just as caring/callousness to others' suffering is.

My point in saying I was not a Republican (nothing wrong with that) nor a conservative (nothing wrong with that either) is to illustrate that people might not fit into your preconceived, predefined pigeonholes.

I'm not interested in arguing with someone who is capable only of name-calling and disparaging others' characters and motivations instead of responding to factual information with factual information, and I'm well aware that folks who tend to overgeneralize, ignore facts, and make personal attacks instead of engaging in reasoned conversation are not worth my time.

I'm simply pleased to see the information Mircea has presented available for others to read and perhaps gain a new perspective. Particularly for those readers with a limited understanding of the basics of economics who might have previously been influenced only by the sort of unfounded polemic so often presented in threads like these. I don't have to agree with everything someone says nor the way it's said to appreciate the time they took to share a perspective that's backed up by facts.

bUU, your heart may very well be in the right place. But your lofty language boils down to this: "If you disagree with me you are mean and callous. If you deny it, you're just justifying your behavior." Over and over and over, with no facts or even coherent explanations to back it up. We get, by now, that you think it's callous to want limits on the safety net this country provides, whether that's for moral or economic reasons, or both. Why is it more callous than implementing a system which has been shown to de-incentivize generations and subcultures, in fact? For me, the nanny state is not only distasteful, it's harmful to individuals. It's immoral. It's cruel in a different way than selfish people might be, but measurably cruel just the same.

We can't account for all the ways "human nature" might cause people to be weak and fail. We can't protect people from themselves in every way possible, and the fact is that trying to do so robs people of their agency. That's not a justification for selfishness, it is the truth.

I want people who are in dire need to be cared for--first by the people immediately around them, then if necessary by the state. Their basic needs met, and an opportunity for improvement provided. More than that is encouragement to stay put, or in this case to fail to plan.

Last edited by Montanama; 10-02-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 01:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If the labor differential is so high, how then does the US export food, oil, and vehicles?

etc etc. He misrepresents a very complex topic by trying to create a fictional example that rarely exists in real life, and that is unrelated to the original persons discussion topic.
Only 12% of our exports are consumer goods mostly drugs, cellphones and diamonds.
Of the food exports it's raw food, not processed food.

On the import side though over 25% of imports are consumer goods.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only 12% of our exports are consumer goods mostly drugs, cellphones and diamonds.
Of the food exports it's raw food, not processed food.

On the import side though over 25% of imports are consumer goods.
only 9% of our exports are raw food or feed.

U.S. Imports and Exports: Components and Statistics

Our processed food exports have been increasing, and in fact is larger then the raw food exports:
U.S. Processed Food Exports: Growth & Outlook | USDA Foreign Agricultural Service

Oddly enough not the data I expected-I believed you were correct, but was wandering through to check the diamond part, because I wasn't aware we exported that much in diamonds.....which I never got around to actually finding the answer too...time to google some more.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:27 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
We have 1/2 the country on some type of government sponsored program.
And instead of admitting that that is our collective failure as a nation, and that perhaps we should make changes in society so everyone has access to employment that allows them to pay their own way and secure their own future, you instead see fit to spew vacuous vitriolic hatred directed at those most vulnerable in society. I think that sums up the depravity I have been repudiating right there.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:31 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
more people have access to employment and better jobs than you think.

the problem is at this stage not everyone who is left or looking is employable. as one of the largest employers on long island we find most and i do mean most applicants, especially those unemployed can't pass a drug test , a background check , a credit report or even a basic math test.

weed out those that speak english so poorly or show up in ghetto wear and a huge part of the work force is not even useable in most companies that care about who they hire, and we have not even gotten to job skills yet.

our company actually resorted to having a triangular billboard standing in the street trying to find suitable employees for every position we have. it still stands outside on the street today.

we need people badly but find most of those left unemployed are unemployed for reasons. they may not think so and to them they are soles who just can't find work or better paying jobs because there are no jobs. the truth is there are jobs and many good jobs but they don't pass muster.

i cut back to just part time and gave notice i am fully retiring in a few months. as word got out the amount of calls i get from competitors looking to get me to do work for them when i retire is staggering . it shows there are good jobs ,you just need to be the right person.

to those looking in from the outside it appears employment is dead in our industry, but far from it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-03-2014 at 05:12 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 07:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Overall though we shouldn't be surprised by this figure.
Americans are not known to be savers.
We've always had poor numbers when compared to savers in other countries.
Americans don't let money burn in their pockets and when they don't have any they use plastic.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
more people have access to employment and better jobs than you think.

the problem is at this stage not everyone who is left or looking is employable. as one of the largest employers on long island we find most and i do mean most applicants, especially those unemployed can't pass a drug test , a background check , a credit report or even a basic math test.

weed out those that speak english so poorly or show up in ghetto wear and a huge part of the work force is not even useable in most companies that care about who they hire, and we have not even gotten to job skills yet.

our company actually resorted to having a triangular billboard standing in the street trying to find suitable employees for every position we have. it still stands outside on the street today.

we need people badly but find most of those left unemployed are unemployed for reasons. they may not think so and to them they are soles who just can't find work or better paying jobs because there are no jobs. the truth is there are jobs and many good jobs but they don't pass muster.

i cut back to just part time and gave notice i am fully retiring in a few months. as word got out the amount of calls i get from competitors looking to get me to do work for them when i retire is staggering . it shows there are good jobs ,you just need to be the right person.

to those looking in from the outside it appears employment is dead in our industry, but far from it.

I can pass everything except a credit check. Since I have no new or original credit activity in the past 12 years, I wonder, what problem does your employer have with my credit? Would your employer prefer I BK and come back in ten years?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
freemkt ,it is all part of the process of developing a profile for someone you don't know ,good or bad.

is your credit score being poor a reflection of making poor choices and decisions in life? is it the inability to prepare in advance for what were problems down the road?
perhaps who you are as a person is reflected in how you treat your money or the reason you lack money to stay current with bills ?

many spend more than because they think less than and rack up debt for stuff over and over as a way of making themselves feel better ..

maybe even an honesty issue as a group , the insurance industry seemed to find a link .

running in to financial trouble is usually not one event. it is usually a series of poor choices and decisions leading up to eventually the point that throws you in trouble. whether bad financial decisions ,lack of motivation ,creativity and drive to do better started you out bad or it ended up bad the fact is it does not profile you as very responsible.

it really does not matter if any or all apply , the fact is why bother even sorting the wheat from the chaff ,just move on to the next applicant.

employers prefer to at least start with a potential applicant who passes the smell test.

what happens later is a different story but at least you did a thorough screening to increase your odds.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-03-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement