Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Senior survey on longevity wishes: 14-day poll
I want to live to 90–100 and I have the $ resources to take care of myself 39 37.14%
I want to live to 90–100 even though I may not have the $ resources to take care of myself 4 3.81%
I don't want to live beyond 90 no matter what 14 13.33%
I don't want to live beyond 80–85 no matter what 17 16.19%
I've lived a full life; any time to 80 is honestly sufficient; I'm good with that 14 13.33%
Don't care when I check out 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM

23,000 posts, read 6,473,897 times

Advertisements

My father died at 53 (cancer) and my mother lived to 90...At 68 I don't know how much time I have left,
mainly I don't want to be a burden to myself or anyone else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 01:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,478,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Keep in mind, there's always Dignitas in Switzerland, the most liberal physician's assisted suicide clinic in the world now, where you need not be terminally ill for their "services". There, you can say: I've been suffering from depression all my life, let's end it! And they'll end it for you, to the tune of $5850 + your one way ticket over there.

How do I know the price? I had a health crisis, last March, and in a panic, I contacted them! I was ready to fly over there and end the pain!

There's now VT, OR, MT & WA, for assisted suicide, but you need to be terminally ill. And there's a number of states that will be voting on it this coming 2016 election.

And you can always come to my place. Ever heard the phrase "scared to death"? I'm real good at that! LoL!
Very interesting. Making a note of this.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,023,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygal44 View Post
I only desire to live to 90-100 because I currently have NO grandchildren and since I have 4 children; I am trying to wait around to see if any Grandchildren turn up. Adoption is ok too. I am in decent health, as is my spouse. So far.
If you wait till 100 to get grandchildren, I think your adult kids may be past childbearing age? Unless they turn to be like the woman in her 60s who had multiples?

Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,812,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If you wait till 100 to get grandchildren, I think your adult kids may be past childbearing age? Unless they turn to be like the woman in her 60s who had multiples?
I have 3 siblings. We all have 2 or more kids (11 total) and most are in their 20s (we all had kids a little on the late side). None of them has kids yet but 2 are married and it seems likely that there will be at least one grand-child/niece/nephew within a couple of years. We are all chomping at the bit; whoever is first will hit the lottery at Christmas.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:22 PM

13,708 posts, read 9,811,303 times
Since childhood I've had a phlegmatic, dour, pessimistic outlook. It was never (or rarely) "woe is me!" self-pity, but rather, a wistful regret that I was ever born and consequently saddled with the burden of living.

Over the past several decades, I've achieved a smattering of things, none perhaps of any lasting substance, but at least enough to be referenced here and there. These compositions are my "children", and in my more boastful and self-aggrandizing moments, I fancy that occasionally these works will be referenced decades (centuries?) after I'm dead.

Life has been a compulsive drive to amount to something, to forge ahead. Though younger than most here, recently I've felt less such drive. Having no family and essentially no relatives (however distant) remaining alive, the remainder is… optional. I'm not about to fire up my cars in a sealed garage, taking one last inhalation. That's facile melodrama. But neither am I enthused about becoming a weathered codger puttering in the garden, or the elder statesman plopped in an armchair, swimming in the suit-jacket that he decades ago used to tightly fill.

I desire to live long enough to gracefully conclude the various projects still afoot. But I don't aim for dogged shaking of the fist at the thunderclap, daring it to unleash its worst. It's difficult to grow wise, even with age. But if I can aspire towards any shard of wisdom, it's the prickly one about knowing one's limitations.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:45 PM

3,544 posts, read 2,706,487 times
By the time I reach 100, I probably will not remember any of the people singing happy birthday. Most likely I won't know that it's my birthday and that I'm 100.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
By the time I reach 100, I probably will not remember any of the people singing happy birthday. Most likely I won't know that it's my birthday and that I'm 100.
Or that it's you.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:48 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,827,366 times
Quote:
I chose not beyond 90 no matter what, but actually I think 85 would be a good age to go. Beyond that I will probably become feeble and have trouble "performing the activities of daily living," as they say. But as long as I still have all my marbles and am capable of living independently, I'll stick around.
My wife is 86 and I am 84, both in excellent health, so we don't think that is a good age to go.

My grandmothers lived to just months short of 100, and my mother lived to 98. Grandfathers almost as old. My father died at 65 due to cancer, which was harder to save people from dying from cancer 40 years ago.

We have lost 2 of our 5 children. One son from spinal meningitis (the third time he was infected with this). One daughter due to lung failure, with lung problems caused by sleep apnea. And it is hard outliving your children.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My wife is 86 and I am 84, both in excellent health, so we don't think that is a good age to go.

My grandmothers lived to just months short of 100, and my mother lived to 98. Grandfathers almost as old. My father died at 65 due to cancer, which was harder to save people from dying from cancer 40 years ago.

We have lost 2 of our 5 children. One son from spinal meningitis (the third time he was infected with this). One daughter due to lung failure, with lung problems caused by sleep apnea. And it is hard outliving your children.
Sorry for your losses, that has to be the hardest thing ever (I have outlived one of my children, who died at 2). It does sound like you and your wife are good candidates for reaching at least 100. Would love to know your longevity secrets (tell me it's wine).

Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,134,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

I would also like to offer my condolences to you and your wife. Losing one child is bad enough, but you have lost two. Such heartache.

God bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement