Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Senior survey on longevity wishes: 14-day poll
I want to live to 90–100 and I have the $ resources to take care of myself 39 37.14%
I want to live to 90–100 even though I may not have the $ resources to take care of myself 4 3.81%
I don't want to live beyond 90 no matter what 14 13.33%
I don't want to live beyond 80–85 no matter what 17 16.19%
I've lived a full life; any time to 80 is honestly sufficient; I'm good with that 14 13.33%
Don't care when I check out 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:05 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,923,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Glad you enjoy it. I actually edited "joke" into "adage" worried you might think I was making light of your grandfather. My grandmother died in a single car accident with no passengers and the ME thought it may have been a merciful thing as clues pointed to a stroke.
Yes with lower quality of life that we with a higher quality of life may consider to be "without". One bedridden relative is pretty outspoken about it, saying keeping up with people on social media and seeing them in person from time to time has brought more joy than she thought possible. But she has been "blessed" with a good long term memory and poor short term. It doesn't seem to her that she has been bedridden more than a few days and it has been a couple of years. But she can remember most details of her life prior very well.
I used to worry about my mom driving, and so did she, but I'm sure glad she didn't have her stroke while driving.

I was a CNA and did in home health care for a couple of years. I met quite a few people like your relative. They couldn't remember what I had made them for breakfast but they could regale me, for hours, with stories of their 'past'. When I was a lot younger I wondered why 'old people' talked about the past so much. Eventually I thought that, well, they have a whole lot more past than they do future so that's what they talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,995,567 times
Checking back in...the centenarians are pulling out in front led by....AZ DesertBrat!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,435,381 times
I've been living hard (and not really by my own doing). By living hard I don't mean wild, or imply substance abuse or any of that. I mean I've had to work way harder / a much greater percent of waking hours than my parents, have fewer assets than their generation, less disposable income, less sleep, and a generally poorer quality of life. Since I believe in cyclical time and not the more typically Western linear time, and to an extant, reincarnation, I would be good with 80 or whatever. As previously revealed longevity in my family is all over the map. My paternal grandma only made it to a year older than I am right now. At the other extreme one of my great aunts nearly crested 100 (made it to 99). Mainly I want to sleep. And if it ends up that the first I get to really sleep with no artificially imposed limit is when I enter into the big sleep, so be it.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,447,125 times
It seems pretty clear from these responses that people don't fear death and therefore hope to live forever, etc. and there's no mention of beliefs in afterlife/better life. But it certainly sounds clear that people fear lousy life, suffering life, extremely compromised life.

I once had a young boyfriend who'd been diagnosed with MS at age 16. He said he planned to suicide if X happened or Y failed, but also said, "I reserver the right to move the goalposts." I think we might all reserve that right. I know I do.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I once had a young boyfriend who'd been diagnosed with MS at age 16. He said he planned to suicide if X happened or Y failed, but also said, "I reserver the right to move the goalposts." I think we might all reserve that right. I know I do.
A new boyfriend at age 80 would change my mind, I might perk up for that.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,185,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Better living through chemistry.

That's one area where I don't miss the good old days.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:08 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,123,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I'm with you. So long as he is mentally and physically well.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,447,125 times
Hey, I'd go for a rerun of a couple of people from the past!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:30 PM

19,884 posts, read 9,437,343 times
I am almost 62, and I don't want to live past 80, even if I am in good health. After 80, health usually starts to deteriorate, and it usually doesn't get any better!

However, until then, I want to live as full and as good of life as I can -- travel widely, eat what I want, and do what I want -- and if that means spending all my savings, so be it! (Between home equity, a small pension, and Social Security -- as long as SS doesn't go bankrupt -- even after the savings are gone, I would still have enough to live fairly comfortably in a small apartment for the rest of my days, knock wood.)

Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I'm with you. So long as he is mentally and physically well.
No, not necessarily.... $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement