Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't get why the parents were so upset. Why do they want their kids to eat junk.

I attended a high school football game on Friday and I was shocked to see what a toddler sitting in front of me was stuffing in his mouth. The kid never stopped eating junk for the over two hours we were there.

Pickles - yuck. I was just imagining the damage that was doing to his baby teeth. More salty snacks, then several suckers in a row. And of course the soft drinks.
Parents were upset because the government was telling them what their kids could eat. IMO it is not the government's role to tell parents what they should and should not feed their children.

What is wrong with pickles? What do pickles do to a person's teeth? I would think pickles would be better for teeth than suckers.

Do you know if the parents you observed fed their child this way all the time, or was this a treat for the football game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 04:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
What difference does it make?

Food as a treat/reward is the first step towards a dysfunctional relationship with it.

A select few can handle it, but most people cannot.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:20 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post

Young people are taught the importance of not getting pregnant, or getting somebody pregnant, at too young an age, but I doubt girls are taught just how limited their fertile years actually are.

Young people focus madly on what they look like and what everyone else looks like - all in support of a young person's business of finding a mate - yet we have a giant thread on "How to cope with losing your looks."

I know guys who lift weights or run distance, who were absolutely blindsided by injuries that started happening in their 40's, because they really thought their joints and ligaments would stay the same. Then they were devastated because they had to reduce the weight or take up another sport.

Early childhood doesn't count because we are not really aware of the future, but let's say Age 15 to 40 is Youth. During that short, 25-year period, everyone focuses on getting to adulthood, finding a job and a mate, yet you spend much more of your life aging. With good information, we can plan to age as well as our DNA will allow. To ignore it, pretend it only happens to others, or at most, figure "you'll take it as it comes" strikes me, in retrospect, as completely bizaare.

Thanks for your attention and contributions to this thread.
Of COURSE women are aware of their fertility window. The biological clock and all that.

And of course young people focus on what they look like - until they realize, with maturity, that looks are really not all that important. Unfortunately, some people never mature beyond that.

Usually, at the yearly doctor check, the physician asks questions about physical health, limitations, etc. Doesn't yours?

Oh and btw....I'm over half a century old....I have not yet started aging.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:33 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Parents were upset because the government was telling them what their kids could eat. IMO it is not the government's role to tell parents what they should and should not feed their children.

What is wrong with pickles? What do pickles do to a person's teeth? I would think pickles would be better for teeth than suckers.

Do you know if the parents you observed fed their child this way all the time, or was this a treat for the football game?
It was constant food. The mom was on the chunky side so? Also the head coach's wife, so someone not sheltered from physical activity and taking care of your body.

My first husband was a track coach.

The mom was still "young". I just hate to see people not take care of themselves when youth is on their side.

Maybe this is an example of not thinking about getting old and maintaining the temple.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Well society tends to stigmatise aging. It is sad really. I look forward to getting older and being more experienced. But I don't want to rush it either!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Can the op give an example of some aspect of aging people are not informed about?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

Weren't they already "telling" them what to eat before, if a student ate in the cafeteria? Did the parents have a say in what the kids ate then?

Wonder if they just quietly changed menus - would there have been such an uproar.

I did some observation hours at a school a few years ago. Ate lunch there - it was very good. Had a huge salad. Kids had a good selection. This was a jr. high.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:47 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Weren't they already "telling" them what to eat before, if a student ate in the cafeteria? Did the parents have a say in what the kids ate then?

Wonder if they just quietly changed menus - would there have been such an uproar.

I did some observation hours at a school a few years ago. Ate lunch there - it was very good. Had a huge salad. Kids had a good selection. This was a jr. high.
There have been federal school lunch recommendations and requirements for decades.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There have been federal school lunch recommendations and requirements for decades.
Right, so I don't know if that argument about the "government telling the parents what the kids can eat" makes sense.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
It's the definition of "old". Sure, kids see old people all the time...but changes start waaay before then. I would have liked to know that SOME stuff starts changing in the 40's and 50's. Instead, I mention something to my doctor..."oh, well, you're not as young as you used to be". Seems like a brush-off instead of getting some good advice of how to slow something down that I didn't even know was going to start so soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement