Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's the definition of "old". Sure, kids see old people all the time...but changes start waaay before then. I would have liked to know that SOME stuff starts changing in the 40's and 50's. Instead, I mention something to my doctor..."oh, well, you're not as young as you used to be". Seems like a brush-off instead of getting some good advice of how to slow something down that I didn't even know was going to start so soon!
Hmm. While I was in Bloomiington, IL, I got the same kinds of comments.

I got down here in Plano, TX, and my new doctor's opinion is that they should not have doffed off treatable conditions just because I'm old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 11:53 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I do believe there needs to be real awareness that the biological process of aging is a major part of life and that certain things happen to almost everyone within certain age ranges.
Yep, we all age.
Stuff happens and aging happens from the time one is born.
That's life.

If you're trying to say that someone ages more between ages 55 and 65 than between ages 35 and 45, or 25 and 35, or 5 and 15, then say so, and present that proof.

Your posting history on age issues indicate you're either trolling or overly concerned with age issues.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:47 AM

155 posts, read 149,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Stuff happens and aging happens from the time one is born.
That's life.
Young people should rather be taught about living a quality life. Looking after their health and minds the best they can from an early age.

As aging will take care of itself and will vary from person to person what do you have to be taught?

Old 09-07-2015, 03:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Why aren't young people taught about aging?

Why would they want to be bothered by that!

I trust aging will be a WHOLE lot better / easier for them.

They might fall into 'despair' and not be able to accept reality! That would be very BAD for all of us!

I certainly am glad I didn't know what was going to happen yesterday OR tomorrow!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:09 AM

505 posts, read 716,774 times
I think the thing really missing is lack of contact with older people. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s my grandparents were near by and so were my grandparents siblings. They did things with us that busy parents with many kids in the era didn't have time for. They really listened to us. They lived near enough when we were fairly young we could bicycle to see them. We did things for them. They were real people.

Not many kids today have that experience.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you're trying to say that someone ages more between ages 55 and 65 than between ages 35 and 45, or 25 and 35, or 5 and 15, then say so, and present that proof.
I would definitely argue that debilitating effects attributable to age advance with increasing effect as one ages. I certainly lost more capability from 40 to 50 and from 50 to 60 than I did from 20 to 30.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would definitely argue that debilitating effects attributable to age advance with increasing effect as one ages. I certainly lost more capability from 40 to 50 and from 50 to 60 than I did from 20 to 30.
50 to 60 has been the first significant downturn for me and I am only 2/3 through it. Mostly joint problems. I am not sure I would have changed anything if I had a warning. I sort of did have a warning as it is inherited.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:07 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There have been federal school lunch recommendations and requirements for decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Right, so I don't know if that argument about the "government telling the parents what the kids can eat" makes sense.
The amount of food provided changed....parents were being told they could not send certain types of food with their kids (and not just peanut butter).

Luckily, this never affected my kids, as they attended private schools throughout their education careers, but my neighbors had horror stories.....tiny portions for burly football playing guys, weird vegetables like lima and garbanzo beans, etc.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
50 to 60 has been the first significant downturn for me and I am only 2/3 through it. .....
I'm just over half a century, and I figure I am only about 1/3 of the way through life, so.....

Attitude is everything!!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I'm just over half a century, and I figure I am only about 1/3 of the way through life, so.....

Attitude is everything!!
Having a good attitude as you age is about dealing with adversity, not denying it. I have a positive outlook about how to adapt my plans to what I can handle even though it's less than I had planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement