Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM

496 posts, read 553,461 times

Advertisements

After all, it will happen to them eventually, unless they die young.

Although I remember being given books and quite a bit of instruction about puberty, adolescence, and general health, the whole topic of what happens when your body is on the downward arc was a grim mystery.

I feel that it would make sense to educate young people about what they can expect on that "arc." Maybe they would take better care of themselves, and maybe they would be less inclined to view Old people as a separate, inferior species.

Just my $.02 for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,117,063 times
May not be at all related to the OP topic.....

W.C. Fields is credited with saying "youth is wasted on the young."

I'm not sure younger people would have a real interest in that. They get to watch their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles age. Whether or not they learn something from it I would suppose some do and some don't.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 AM

5,241 posts, read 6,156,300 times
Because when we were young we were foolish and invincible

Old 09-05-2015, 10:07 AM

496 posts, read 553,461 times
I guess I did not make my point very well.

*We try to teach young people many things that don't interest most of them - supposedly, for their own good.

*If young people think they're invincible, and therefore don't need to learn about aging, then why bother teaching them to drive? They can pick that up from watching their elders, too.

I still think it would be helpful for young people themselves to know what to expect, and to know that these changes are either normal (so, stop thinking of the Old people as disgusting, etc.) or preventable (so, continue to do XYZ if you want, but here's what's gonna happen).

Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
There are wide variations among us in terms of how we age. What would we teach young people about aging?

What I wish someone had taught me when I was young was how to manage money. It's tough to learn budgeting in your 60's.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I guess I did not make my point very well.

*We try to teach young people many things that don't interest most of them - supposedly, for their own good.

*If young people think they're invincible, and therefore don't need to learn about aging, then why bother teaching them to drive? They can pick that up from watching their elders, too.

I still think it would be helpful for young people themselves to know what to expect, and to know that these changes are either normal (so, stop thinking of the Old people as disgusting, etc.) or preventable (so, continue to do XYZ if you want, but here's what's gonna happen).

Really?? You are comparing learning to drive to learning about aging?

Apples and oranges.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,135 times
I don't think young people would even care.

Lots of them think they will die young anyway.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 AM

99,618 posts, read 4,495,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
There are wide variations among us in terms of how we age. What would we teach young people about aging?

What I wish someone had taught me when I was young was how to manage money. It's tough to learn budgeting in your 60's.
Exactly! Why don't we teach young people how to make a budget and how to save and invest? Show them how money grows over the course of decades. It should a required part of a young person's education.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

Yes, I am in the same situation. I am in my early 70s and did not take budgeting very seriously until only recently. Unfortunately, for me, spending was comforting. There wasn't much else doing that.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I don't think young people would even care.

Lots of them think they will die young anyway.
And of course, none of them will ever be able to retire, especially as Social Security will have ceased to exist because those greedy geezer Boomers used it all up.

Do schools even teach what we knew as "Social Studies" anymore? Somehow I doubt it. They're too busy teaching to the tests and trying to turn every child into the next tech savvy Bill Gates.

Since all will, in time, lose their parents and grandparents, perhaps some siblings and maybe even die young themselves, at a minimum they should be taught that dying is as much a part of life as is living. That there's no disgrace in aging, that the body will fail to some extent over the years and lose elasticity, that getting older doesn't necessarily mean losing your faculties, these are all valuable lessons that should be taught along with respect where deserved, forbearance and some degree of understanding, appreciation or at least tolerance. Whatever has, to date, made their lives pleasant and worth living has been made by people older than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement