Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I think the thing really missing is lack of contact with older people. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s my grandparents were near by and so were my grandparents siblings. They did things with us that busy parents with many kids in the era didn't have time for. They really listened to us. They lived near enough when we were fairly young we could bicycle to see them. We did things for them. They were real people.

Not many kids today have that experience.
In bygone days, not only were they nearby, they frequently lived in the same house and the "kids" helped take care of aging Grandma and Grandpa. They saw the changes take place first hand.

Today, the focus is on "staying young" or "staying fit" and when the only role models are young, slim, attractive actors, kids are totally in shock when they realize that this is not reality.

I certainly believe that one should do everything possible to retain as much vigor and physical strength as one can, but there is such a thing as diminishing returns. Try as we might, eventually, we weaken and don't snap back as we did when we were "in our prime".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:03 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The amount of food provided changed....parents were being told they could not send certain types of food with their kids (and not just peanut butter).
Now what federal law was that?

Old 09-07-2015, 10:05 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In bygone days, not only were they nearby, they frequently lived in the same house and the "kids" helped take care of aging Grandma and Grandpa. They saw the changes take place first hand.

Today, the focus is on "staying young" or "staying fit" and when the only role models are young, slim, attractive actors, kids are totally in shock when they realize that this is not reality.

I certainly believe that one should do everything possible to retain as much vigor and physical strength as one can, but there is such a thing as diminishing returns. Try as we might, eventually, we weaken and don't snap back as we did when we were "in our prime".
Yes. The original television fitness guru Jack LaLanne could out-exercise practically everyone half his age when he was 90, but he was nowhere close to what he could do when he was 45.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:27 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Could not tell you. As I said, personally, I sent my kids to a private college prep school from K through 12, so we did not have to deal with federal garbage. All I am saying is what our neighbors would complain about regarding school lunches at neighborhood gatherings, which was too small portions and gross vegetables. The school lunches at my kids' school were provided by an outside company; however, most days my kids packed their lunches. They could take hot lunch one day a week. Some weeks they just packed every day. PBJs were their favorites, with an apple or banana or those cuties. They might have tossed in a small bag of chips or some crackers or some carrot sticks or a cookie. It varied.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Why aren't young people taught about aging?

Why not teach your cat or dog the same thing? They age and die within two decades.

It's a natural thing and so gradual no one has ever had to school one about it. Kids know they are aging when they need larger clothes, shoes and have outgrown trikes and training wheels. They outgrow certain toys and move on to more mature things. They progress through their different grades at school, go through puberty and watch people grow old and die around them their entire lives.

Is there a Common Core class class in schools which can better prepare them for getting old?
Maybe squeeze it in with classes geared to accepting the entire LGBT lifestyle?
Yeah, that's the ticket. Let the government teach your kids all about life through mandated curriculum parents have no control over short of homeschooling them.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:23 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
I for one would have liked a bit more information about some things being a by product of aging, and why and how and when other things might be expected.
cataracts- I was just told I have the beginning signs of them. I don't really have a great understanding of what they are, how they will affect me, is this common at my age or not
hearing loss- how common is it in the elderly, does it get progressively worse as a person ages
alzheimers- how prevalent is it, is there a typical age range for onset, do my chances of having it increase as I get older?
thinning skin- does it happen to everyone as they age, what causes it and does it cause serious problems?
arthritis- I used to think everyone got it as the got older, now I see that it's not necessarily true so I wish I knew more about what causes it and why some people have it and some don't
minor things like hair suddenly appearing in odd place ( I didn't realize for the longest time that those old men with hairy ears probably didn't look like that when they were young) or flatulence (you mean granny didn't always sit around pooting all the time?), age spots, what's up with that, and the fact that hair texture can change with age, who knew? When I hit my late forties my hair started going gray it turned into a mop of frizz that takes a lot more effort to keep up with than it did when I was younger, and that came as a total surprise to me.
Oh, and the funky toenails so many old people seem to be plagued with, is that a part of the aging process too, like gray hair? So many mysteries about getting older....

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-07-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 02:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times
It has occurred to me that we as a society don't discuss the aging process, not really.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
I would definitely argue that debilitating effects attributable to age advance with increasing effect as one ages. I certainly lost more capability from 40 to 50 and from 50 to 60 than I did from 20 to 30.
I think this is generally true - at least by what my older relatives have told me. Most of my aunts and uncles are well into their 50s and they seem to agree that you age a lot more in your mid-40s onwards than you do from 20 to 30 or 30 to 40. My mother is 50 in December and she definitely finds certain things harder now than just 7 or so years ago - she complains more of back pains when lifting things, for example. One of my aunts is 54 and needs help getting up after kneeling down - though I have an aunt who is 55 and has no problems with that, so maybe it just depends on the person - some people age faster, and develop problems earlier.

I'm nearly 30, and the only thing I notice that's changed is recovering from sporting injuries takes longer now than it did at 20, and I can't deal with hangovers as well, but running is still as easy as it was when I was 20, ditto weight lifting. My 30s will be a breeze - it's my 40s that I'm dreading. My 50s will be the death of me, I just know it.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-07-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 04:32 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Could not tell you. As I said, personally, I sent my kids to a private college prep school from K through 12, so we did not have to deal with federal garbage. All I am saying is what our neighbors would complain about regarding school lunches at neighborhood gatherings, which was too small portions and gross vegetables. The school lunches at my kids' school were provided by an outside company; however, most days my kids packed their lunches. They could take hot lunch one day a week. Some weeks they just packed every day. PBJs were their favorites, with an apple or banana or those cuties. They might have tossed in a small bag of chips or some crackers or some carrot sticks or a cookie. It varied.
Not so much a federal law but individual schools/school system. Anything nut was banned to due food allergies of some students.

Some schools also tried to regulate what kids brought from home for lunch:

Healthy Schools Program Expands to PGCPS

It's not mentioned in the article or press release but some schools limit the amount of salty snacks brought from home as well as sodas.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:14 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think this is generally true - at least by what my older relatives have told me. Most of my aunts and uncles are well into their 50s and they seem to agree that you age a lot more in your mid-40s onwards than you do from 20 to 30 or 30 to 40. My mother is 50 in December and she definitely finds certain things harder now than just 7 or so years ago - she complains more of back pains when lifting things, for example. One of my aunts is 54 and needs help getting up after kneeling down - though I have an aunt who is 55 and has no problems with that, so maybe it just depends on the person - some people age faster, and develop problems earlier.

I'm nearly 30, and the only thing I notice that's changed is recovering from sporting injuries takes longer now than it did at 20, and I can't deal with hangovers as well, but running is still as easy as it was when I was 20, ditto weight lifting. My 30s will be a breeze - it's my 40s that I'm dreading. My 50s will be the death of me, I just know it.
Same here. I can't deal with hangovers as well but I haven't injured myself recently. Don't want to deal with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement