Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:17 PM

1,205 posts, read 936,189 times

Advertisements

As a couple others have remarked, I’m so enjoying this thread. Thanks for starting it, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 08:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
To all those who have written that they are enjoying this thread, I'm really glad. I was not sure what the reaction would be.

Thank you for letting me know!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Reality has given me far more than my dreams

Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
She made some good points. I also want to live at the beach but maybe only during winter.

Here in south texas they get flooded with people during the summer. Spring break forget it.

They say in January they sort of get crowded with seniors, but I would prefer that to college kids.
Winter in beach towns is nice! Fairly quiet to just plain dead, locals are more relaxed, and the changing skies and water conditions provide plenty of “things to see” if you are the contemplative kind, or simply a nature-lover. Just be aware that some businesses close down in winter or have fewer hours of operation.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:50 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Winter in beach towns is nice! Fairly quiet to just plain dead, locals are more relaxed, and the changing skies and water conditions provide plenty of “things to see” if you are the contemplative kind, or simply a nature-lover. Just be aware that some businesses close down in winter or have fewer hours of operation.
I hope to fulfill this dream within the next five years.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 PM

798 posts, read 2,729,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I think the "Serenity Prayer" still holds true, no matter how old one is. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I think that as long as there is the POSSIBILITY of still achieving one's dreams, one should not give up on them -- but if there is no REALISTIC chance of having dreams come true, then in one's old age, one should just accept that and think about and appreciate the GOOD things in one's life.

For myself and my husband, we have given up on the idea of being close in any way to any of our relatives, but we have not given up on our idea of our dream retirement home -- or at least something very close to it. And we still have the HOPE of acquiring some good mutual friends in our retirement. For various reasons, that is something we have never had in over 30 years of marriage. (I would love to live within just a few miles of another couple that is compatible with us in personality and in interests.)
Have you considered looking in to retiring in a 55+ community? It has many social advantages that may lead you to find compatible friends right in your community.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
When I see an older person in a sporty car, I think, "Good on 'em." It's better than driving an ugly tank of an SUV. Why not enjoy the drive if you've got the means in your old age? you don't have to drive at sports-car speeds to feel the superb handling and enjoy the wind in your hair and the stars above. What's there to ridicule?
Thank you. My dream has been to own another Porsche after having owned a little 924S from 1986 to when it was totaled ( rear-ended) in 1994. My wife has agreed to the purchase but with everything since 1994, other priorities keep popping up. My next major purchase will be retirement land. Land > Car for now.

Once the land is acquired and the house build, we’ll reassess our finances. If it doesn’t work out, no worries! Dreams don’t always come true but one shouldn’t to depend on a dream to realize that good fortune already exists.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
For a long time I dreamed of moving to an area by the ocean, or at least near a very large lake.
Sometimes people don't understand how strong this desire can be.

I'm a displaced ocean baby too ... "She" is my earthly mother: I was born on an island, the majority of my DNA comes from the Mediterranean & despite having close relatives who are from "Central" locations; absolutely zero of mine is ... I have "some" Atlantic Ocean& Baltic Sea ... & a little Red Sea & Pacific Islander.

WTH am I doing in Colorado? At 7,000 ft elevation? Well, this is home for my family & when I was 3 years old, my parents brought me on an airplane to the United States & went home & built an awesome life.

I remember struggling with the huge Atlas book to the middle of the living room floor & opening it to the seas. Learned how to use a ruler to measure how far/close I was to "my" water.

The last time I went "home" to my ocean was in 2014. I put 3 kids & the dog in a 19-year-old Nissan (Katrina car with electrical problems) & drove south until I saw my ocean. I went in the late 1990's; my parents kept the kids. I broke down in Bullhead City AZ & hitch-hiked with truckers the rest of the way there. I stood on the beach under a full moon & sobbed because I was so happy.

Are you still in Central NY? If so; you are almost there! Less than 300 miles at least! I can smell the ocean from over 200 miles away, so I am a little jealous.

I am 1,014 miles away. I will send you my New Year's positive thoughts; you (like I) need a Mysterious Benefactor.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
^^^^^ coschristi: I really like your post. Yes, you are so right, people don't always "get" how strong the inclination can be to do something (like live near the ocean). There are several lakes near me here in central NY state, the largest being Lake Ontario. When I was married we camped many times up there and the water was wonderful. Nice sandy beach, waves rolling in sometimes. Was there some other times with other people. So I don't go there anymore.... too many "ghosts".

Yes, a mysterious benefactor would be nice. But I don't seem to meet any one like that.

Please keep me informed!! Let me know if you meet yours and where you end up.

For the past week the temperatures have been hideously cold, below zero at times, getting up to maybe 10 or 15 degrees F. And plenty of snow to go with it. And wind. Fortunately for me, my area (Syracuse) has gotten snow but nothing compared to the north country and in western NY state bordering Lake Erie.

I'm desperately in need of warm, sunny weather.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:59 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I think the "Serenity Prayer" still holds true, no matter how old one is. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I think that as long as there is the POSSIBILITY of still achieving one's dreams, one should not give up on them -- but if there is no REALISTIC chance of having dreams come true, then in one's old age, one should just accept that and think about and appreciate the GOOD things in one's life.

For myself and my husband, we have given up on the idea of being close in any way to any of our relatives, but we have not given up on our idea of our dream retirement home -- or at least something very close to it. And we still have the HOPE of acquiring some good mutual friends in our retirement. For various reasons, that is something we have never had in over 30 years of marriage. (I would love to live within just a few miles of another couple that is compatible with us in personality and in interests.)
That sounds like us. We have had a few couple friends over the years but they either moved, divorced or, in the one case, became more than social drinkers. We don't drink so maybe that limits our choice of couple friends. I have always been an introvert as has my DH so each only has several close friends but they are not couples. We have many acquaintances, though. It may not hrlp that we don't live close to the social scene in town, too. Hopefully, you will find your friend ⭕️.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement