Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

The only certainty is, things change!
Truer words were never written or spoken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 10:26 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
I had a dream. It involved a couple months of something I really yearned to do. After retirement. Recent health situation with DH is making me wonder if we can even do this or if it is even wise. I am sad to say retirement has been put off yet again because of a job situation, something we promised to do that is now taking 9-12 months longer than we anticipated. I am a little - no a lot - annoyed about this. My energy level is ebbing away and by the time we get there, will I have enough energy for my dream? And will DH have the health for it? I'm feeling as though I've gotten cheated by life. I will need to settle for less.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
And we still have the HOPE of acquiring some good mutual friends in our retirement. For various reasons, that is something we have never had in over 30 years of marriage. (I would love to live within just a few miles of another couple that is compatible with us in personality and in interests.)

This will be our new challenge when we move to our new location next year. We rarely had mutual friends in our 40 years of marriage. Not our dream place for retirement, although I can't say we ever had a dream place per se, BUT we are so excited to be near our grandchildren.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:46 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I had a dream. It involved a couple months of something I really yearned to do. After retirement. Recent health situation with DH is making me wonder if we can even do this or if it is even wise. I am sad to say retirement has been put off yet again because of a job situation, something we promised to do that is now taking 9-12 months longer than we anticipated. I am a little - no a lot - annoyed about this. My energy level is ebbing away and by the time we get there, will I have enough energy for my dream? And will DH have the health for it? I'm feeling as though I've gotten cheated by life. I will need to settle for less.

I hope things turn around and you don't have to settle for less.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
The OP asked: "Have any of your dreams changed? Something you thought you really wanted, didn't get, now settle for other."

My answer is a big NO.

I have wishes and goals but never dreams. My personal definition of dream is something fanciful, unrealistic, not attainable - the bolded words in the dictionary definition below

definition of dream

1 : a series of thoughts, images, or emotions occurring during sleep had a dream about climbing a mountain gives me bad dreams — compare rem sleep
2 : an experience of waking life having the characteristics of a dream: such as
a : a visionary (see 1visionary 2a) creation of the imagination : daydream the dreams of her youth[b]
b : a state of mind marked by abstraction or release from reality : reverie walking around in a dream
c : an object seen in a dreamlike state : vision a man that was her dream come true
3 : something notable for its beauty, excellence, or enjoyable quality - the new car is a dream to operate
4 a : a strongly desired goal or purpose- a dream of becoming president
b : something that fully satisfies a wish : ideal a meal that was a gourmet's dream

I remember the OP had cited the phrase "if you want the ocean don't settle for the stream" heard from an inspirational speaker. IMO, if this 'want' is attainable with some efforts, it is a goal. If it is unrealistic, unattainable then it is a dream.

I don't like the term 'settle' because of the connotation of being unfulfilled and disappointed. Bottom line is that I have never followed the above advice!

I am an optimistic person and can state that throughout my life, I pretty much get what I had wished or wanted. My wishes, wants or goals have always been attainable for two reasons. First, I never wish or set any lofty, unreachable goals way beyond my capabilities, efforts and means. Secondly, I make efforts to achieve my goals but constantly assess the situation to make appropriate changes (both downscaling and upscaling). Since I never felt that I had 'settled' for something less, I always feel fulfilled, contented and satisfied. So since all my wishes have always been fulfilled, one can say that I have attained my 'dreams' as per 4b definition. However, I have never considered any of my 'rubberband' wishes as dreams ;-)

Each person is different. If I was the OP who had always dreamed of living near the oceans or lakes and to travel but thought those dreams are now way beyond her financial means and physical abilities, here is what I would do:

1. Scale down the 'dreams', wishes or goals.

- Instead of living by the oceans or lakes, how about just take a vacation at a place with ocean or lake front?
- Instead of travel coast-to-coast or to a far flung destination requiring flying (which she does not want to do) or long distance driving (expensive and could be too much for a senior woman), how about just to take mini vacations, driving to nearby parks, lakes and staying there for a short time.

I believe that the OP lives in upstate NY in the Finger Lakes region. There are many beautiful lakes and parks to explore. I just did a quick check for lake vacation rental and found this one for $100/night.

https://www.vrbo.com/617759

2. Find ways to achieve your scaled down dreams, wishes or goals.

Let's say if I was in the OP's situation and wanted to vacation at the above cottage but thought that $100/night minimum 2 nights was too much. Here is what I would do

- Try to find a travel mate to share the cost.
- Try to put aside a bit of money here and there towards the goal such as substituting a banana or a fruit for ice cream for dessert, cancelling or scaling down cost of subscriptions, postponing buying some items etc.

3. Never think of scaling down or making necessary adjustments as 'settling for something less'. Think of the glasses are half full and not half empty. This is the secret of my contentment or 'life success'.

Again, these are the things that I would do and not what I suggest the OP or others to do.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
As a very young woman I was helping a resident in a nursing home who was dying and she offered me this advice, "make happy memories because that is all you have left in the end and they will comfort and sustain you." I took her advice.

Sure I have mini dreams, but wherever I am in this life, through thick and thin I try to make happy memories
I wouldn't mind if you shared/posted some of your fondest memories thus far. What do they involve? Family? Children? Spouse? Friends? Travel? Things? Hobbies? Please do share...

Old 12-29-2017, 11:15 AM

352 posts, read 262,814 times
I think as I get older my dreams change and I am okay with that. Funny how your dreams in your 20's, 30's 40's, etc. are so different. All I wanted when I was in high school was to graduate and move from the east coast to California. I just knew I was meant for California even though I had never been there. It did not happen and after I graduated I never would have been able to move that far away from home. When I hit 50 I finally made it to California. Even did the walk down the the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the tacky Beverly Hills home tour. It was the best. At least I got part of the dream and that was to go to California. My only dream now is to retire near a beach area and enjoy retirement by the beach and boating and have my children and grandchildren come and visit and enjoy it with us. However, who knows what dreams I may have in 3, 5 or even 10 years from now. I will never stop dreaming though. Makes me feel wishful and hopeful.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
The OP asked: "Have any of your dreams changed? Something you thought you really wanted, didn't get, now settle for other."

My answer is a big NO.

I have wishes and goals but never dreams.
Your post is exactly how I feel.

I also have "wishes and goals" and they changed throughout my life.

If all you ever do is to dream about something without setting goals and plans towards it then it will forever be nothing more than a dream.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
This remark is for a few of the above posters.

Geeze. The only thing you can "see" in my post is the word DREAM.

So, I didn't use what you consider to be correct word. Really??

You can use whatever word you want in YOUR post. This one is MINE. And I know how I DEFINE the word dream.

Geeze.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the important thing is to find happiness with what you have. Dreams come and go, the here and now doesn't.

YES!! I just do what I want when I want. Right now my priority is my old dog that threatens to leave us soon. He's had minor set backs all year. We won't travel together until he's gone. My dream right now is to get the rental properties out of our life. It's going to be a busy summer. I'm sure I'll throw some fun in there whenever I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement