Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:56 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times

Advertisements

Numbers are lowered on a regular basis to sell more drugs. You are your best doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Numbers are lowered on a regular basis to sell more drugs. You are your best doctor.

In this case, the numbers go up, not down.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Prescription number one from doctors should be diet and exercise. Pills should be temporary or a last resort. Doctors putting you on lifetime medication for a condition that is created or exacerbated by a poor diet, lack of exercise and/or excess weight is the pharmaceutical industry's profit strategy. Don't go along with it.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 PM

143 posts, read 150,364 times
I am no longer prediabetic because I am doing Keto. All my numbers are good.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:19 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Prescription number one from doctors should be diet and exercise. Pills should be temporary or a last resort. Doctors putting you on lifetime medication for a condition that is created or exacerbated by a poor diet, lack of exercise and/or excess weight is the pharmaceutical industry's profit strategy. Don't go along with it.
I wish it were that simple. Most people don't WANT to make lifestyle changes. They want pills so they can keep eating at Outback Steakhouse and Cheesecake Factory. We could save so much in healthcare $$$ if people took charge of their own health, but I have plenty of contemporaries who have given up on that or it's too late and the damage has already been done. And yes, I KNOW there are awful diseases and accidents that happen to people that they can't control. There but for the grace of God go I- but maybe if we could prevent more of what's preventable there would be more resources to take care of the rest.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,045 times
In my humble opinion..... The people (like me) who gained weight over the years have reached for food when there is a lot of stress going on in their lives. And when the stress has somehow lessened, we are already in the bad habit of eating poorly/frequently.

If only there was a "cure" for stress.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:40 PM

721 posts, read 598,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And yes, I KNOW there are awful diseases and accidents that happen to people that they can't control. There but for the grace of God go I- but maybe if we could prevent more of what's preventable there would be more resources to take care of the rest.
Yes and yes. There are many things outside our control in terms of health, but there are so many where our choices can have such a profound impact. Even when dealt a hand of cards that's not the best it can often be at least mitigated to some extent by better choices. Not always. I get that. But when it can and people choose not to it's very sad. When I see it in my own friends it seems somehow rooted in depression, resignation. And that is sad in itself.

My ex —who is still my dear friend— is one of those people. He used to be fit, healthy, full of life, and now he's way overweight, HBP, drinks, smokes a little, is on antidepressants and who-knows-what-else, he never stops working, never sits still, never gets out of his busy professional life... and I can see that he's killing himself slowly.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:50 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Yes I agree. Diet/exercise/lifestyle changes should be the first thing to try. Instead many doctors just go for the pills first. That's what happened in my brother's case. Lifestyle changes weren't even suggested so he asked for a referral to a dietician to try that first. In his case the changes weren't too drastic and his cholesterol count came down. He then found a new doctor in his network.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:11 PM

695 posts, read 997,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yes I agree. Diet/exercise/lifestyle changes should be the first thing to try. Instead many doctors just go for the pills first. That's what happened in my brother's case. Lifestyle changes weren't even suggested so he asked for a referral to a dietician to try that first. In his case the changes weren't too drastic and his cholesterol count came down. He then found a new doctor in his network.
Exactly. Glad your brother found a dietician and a new doc.

Lifestyle changes are hard and many people just aren't motivated to change. And the healthcare system reinforces the "pop a pill to cure everything" mentality, so patients expect that kind of treatment. Plus, it's expeditious. 10 minute app't, no problem, here's a Rx.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:14 PM

695 posts, read 997,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I wish it were that simple. Most people don't WANT to make lifestyle changes. They want pills so they can keep eating at Outback Steakhouse and Cheesecake Factory. We could save so much in healthcare $$$ if people took charge of their own health, but I have plenty of contemporaries who have given up on that or it's too late and the damage has already been done. And yes, I KNOW there are awful diseases and accidents that happen to people that they can't control. There but for the grace of God go I- but maybe if we could prevent more of what's preventable there would be more resources to take care of the rest.

BINGO! Excellent article in the Atlantic magazine about this very topic titled: "The Worst Patients in the World"

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ending/590623/

One excerpt:

"Americans are hypochondriacs, yet we skip our checkups. We demand drugs we don’t need, and fail to take the ones we do. No wonder the U.S. leads the world in health spending."

Well worth reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement