Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
For a long time I've been told I have high cholesterol/triglycerides, etc. and my doctor has prescribed medication for it. None of them agreed with my system. They didn't really do a lot to reverse the high numbers either. Eventually, the doctor I went to at the time said to stop taking them. And he wouldn't prescribe anything more. I seemed to get along fine, no terrible symptoms, etc. He also said I was borderline diabetic but never prescribed any medication.
If a medication doesn't even solve the problem it's intended to solve PLUS it causes side effects the only logical solution is to TERMINATE it IMMEDIATELY.

Remember, medicines can kill someone faster than the disease many times. It is the luck of the draw. This is why despite occasionally having high BP numbers I would never take BP meds. They don't solve the inherent problem and instead cause imbalances in not only BP alone but have cascading effects on the endocrine system causing more problems than it was intended to solve. If I am in hypertensive crisis then yes administer the drug to save my life. (But keep in mind hypertensive crisis often has nothing to do with long term hypertension) If it's 10 points high, then no I am looking at long term Non-drug changes on what I need to do.

There are some people with really high triglycerides that take a statin and it helps them a lot with no side effects. Great for them! They should continue the medication. If it doesn't work for you, you need to look at diet and exercise, I'm talking about to the maximum. As in getting to the gym 3x a week and pushing yourself as much as possible. And going on strict ketogenic, that type of thing. (Not just nutraslim and 30 minutes of treadmill per week, that won't cut it)

When a lot of medical professionals say "lifestyle changes" they don't emphasize how drastic those changes need to be. My cholesterol levels are enviable, but nobody cares to understand the work involved in maintaining those levels. #1 it means no dairy (which doesn't agree with me anyways) and most Americans refuse to go dairy free, ever. I attribute most of my cholesterol profile to the fact I consume virtually no dairy products which have the most cholesterol of any other food staple and are not ideal for regular human consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile So true....

Quote:
In my humble opinion..... The people (like me) who gained weight over the years have reached for food when there is a lot of stress going on in their lives. And when the stress has somehow lessened, we are already in the bad habit of eating poorly/frequently.

If only there was a "cure" for stress.
Really true!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If a medication doesn't even solve the problem it's intended to solve PLUS it causes side effects the only logical solution is to TERMINATE it IMMEDIATELY.

Remember, medicines can kill someone faster than the disease many times. It is the luck of the draw. This is why despite occasionally having high BP numbers I would never take BP meds. They don't solve the inherent problem and instead cause imbalances in not only BP alone but have cascading effects on the endocrine system causing more problems than it was intended to solve. If I am in hypertensive crisis then yes administer the drug to save my life. (But keep in mind hypertensive crisis often has nothing to do with long term hypertension) If it's 10 points high, then no I am looking at long term changes on what I need to do.

There are some people with really high triglycerides that take a statin and it helps them a lot with no side effects. Great for them! They should continue the medication. If it doesn't work for you, you need to look at diet and exercise, I'm talking about to the maximum. As in getting to the gym 3x a week and pushing yourself as much as possible. And going on strict ketogenic, that type of thing. (Not just nutraslim and 30 minutes of treadmill per week, that won't cut it)

When a lot of medical professionals say "lifestyle changes" they don't emphasize how drastic those changes need to be. My cholesterol levels are enviable, but nobody cares to understand the work involved in maintaining those levels. #1 it means no dairy (which doesn't agree with me anyways) and most Americans refuse to go dairy free, ever. I attribute most of my cholesterol profile to the fact I consume virtually no dairy products which have the most cholesterol of any other food staple and are not ideal for regular human consumption.
Just don't make the double mistake of assigning causality to your specific diet resulting in your good health (unless you've at least done some good ole' ABA testing) or assuming that what you do will work for everyone.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My brother had high cholesterol. Doctor wanted to prescribe pills. He said no and changed his diet.
He's fine now.

Maybe a visit to a dietician might help.
Agreed but anticipate out of pocket costs. American medical insurance is not designed to prevent disease but just treat it. They will cover the drug treatment at 80% but to prevent and have a non-drug treatment it is 80% out of your own pocket.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just don't make the double mistake of assigning causality to your specific diet resulting in your good health (unless you've at least done some good ole' ABA testing) or assuming that what you do will work for everyone.
OP will have to experiment and find out what works for them individually. Keto doesn't work for everybody, dairy free doesn't work for everyone either. But the fact remains is that high cholesterol runs in my family and a key difference between us is I don't consume dairy and they do. OP will have better luck experimenting with ratios in her diet instead of shuffling between statins which deplete CoQ10 and block ATP (already proven in many studies)

Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
I hope this topic does not get moved. I am asking the seniors here, the ones who are most likely to fall in the category of their numbers being too high.

And I am not intending to argue, criticize, offend, etc. I'm just collecting information for my own self.

For a long time I've been told I have high cholesterol/triglycerides, etc. and my doctor has prescribed medication for it. None of them agreed with my system. They didn't really do a lot to reverse the high numbers either. Eventually, the doctor I went to at the time said to stop taking them. And he wouldn't prescribe anything more. I seemed to get along fine, no terrible symptoms, etc. He also said I was borderline diabetic but never prescribed any medication.

I've changed doctors a few times for various reasons. Again, my numbers are high. But I'm not sick. I'm 77 and seem to be doing OK. So this most recent doctor prescribed another medication that was not a statin and had an additional plus of combating diabetes. I decided to take it because I had refused medication before and think the doctor was getting a little upset with me. (Might be just my imagination.) So I took the med, 4 pills a day, 2 in the a.m., 2 in the p.m.

Then the slide started. I found myself getting more and more tired and got to the point I was asleep more than awake. No energy. Had to force myself to get to the store for things I had run out of, nothing I wanted to eat (no energy to cook).

So I stopped taking them. I feel a lot better. I'm awake, I want to do things, why take something that makes me feel half dead?

I should also mention my eye doc put me on a different eye drop to deal with a problem I'm having. So I called him to see what he thought. He didn't think the drop was causing it but said I could cut the dosage in half. He also said he doubted the drop would have that affect on me. The pharmacist agreed with that.

I don't know if anyone had the patience to read this, I know it's too long.

I don't want to live to be 100 but I don't want to hasten death, either.

I just believe there are some of us who are like this.

Do you want to correct all of that? Just eat a bowl of oatmeal every day. I had too low good cholesterol and too high bad cholesterol and and high glucose. I was put on simvestatin and my numbers didn't change except it got slowly worse on the good cholesterol. 1 year of a bowl of oatmeal and 2 eggs (omelet, or other) and half an avocado. I turned all of those three around. I dropped 30 pounds off my frame. I don't eat as much as I used to. I feel great except for all those aches and pains with growing old. I am about to turn 62 and I have not been at this weight in 20 years.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Do you want to correct all of that? Just eat a bowl of oatmeal every day. I had too low good cholesterol and too high bad cholesterol and and high glucose. I was put on simvestatin and my numbers didn't change except it got slowly worse on the good cholesterol. 1 year of a bowl of oatmeal and 2 eggs (omelet, or other) and half an avocado. I turned all of those three around. I dropped 30 pounds off my frame. I don't eat as much as I used to. I feel great except for all those aches and pains with growing old. I am about to turn 62 and I have not been at this weight in 20 years.
Bob's Red Mill extra thick rolled oats.

I discovered the above and those are the oats I remember as a kid..thick and chewy.
I switch between oats and farina for breakfast as farina is a good source of iron.
In the summer I have cheerios with a tad bit of milk and no sugar.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Good to know. I eat steel oats everyday. I haven’t checked my cholesterol level lately.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:55 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Bob's Red Mill extra thick rolled oats.

I discovered the above and those are the oats I remember as a kid..thick and chewy.
I switch between oats and farina for breakfast as farina is a good source of iron.
In the summer I have cheerios with a tad bit of milk and no sugar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Good to know. I eat steel oats everyday. I haven’t checked my cholesterol level lately.

I don't know about steel oats but I do know that we get the "old fashioned" oats not the instant ones. We get the generic store brand and it tastes just fine.

I don't know what farina is but I am sure it is good for you too.

I am just living proof that it does work.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:19 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
Thank you for reminding me about the steel cut oatmeal. I will get some and start having it in the morning.

I'll have to try farina, too.

I worked with a woman who put red wine vinegar on sliced avocado. It was pretty good.

Far better than those darned pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement