Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times

Advertisements

Our parent's generation did not have statins and my father is a good example of the consequences. As he aged, atherosclerosis took a toll with a quad bypass, aortic aneurysm, clogged carotids, stroke, blindness and a list of issues that could have been greatly decreased with the use of statins.

Many of you have offered great advice on trying to find a healthy diet. That works for some and for virtually everyone will have some positive results. That does not mean it is a good idea to become your own doctors, give up statins and face the consequences of previous generations.

Physicians do not just arbitrarily decide on the use of statins. There are well researched consensus guidelines for evaluating lab results and a host of risk factors. Even with detailed guidelines some judgment is needed. There are also those who cannot tolerate statins or who need to try different formulations. Rather than become your own doctor, you would be better off to work with your doctor. For some, going off statins might be necessary. Weight loss, dietary changes and other steps to reduce risk can definitely help. In any case you need to work with your physician. If that is not working, you need to voice your concerns and possibly change physicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I don't know about steel oats but I do know that we get the "old fashioned" oats not the instant ones. We get the generic store brand and it tastes just fine.

I don't know what farina is but I am sure it is good for you too.

I am just living proof that it does work.
Steel oats have more fiber, less glycemic index. I get them from Sprouts.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM

43,127 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I don't know about steel oats but I do know that we get the "old fashioned" oats not the instant ones. We get the generic store brand and it tastes just fine.

I don't know what farina is but I am sure it is good for you too.

I am just living proof that it does work.
Cream of Wheat is the brand I buy. It's in a box in the same location as oats.
It's ground wheat kernels. Looks like grits but has a finer texture.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 AM

10,565 posts, read 7,767,498 times
If you feel fine, don't bother having your numbers checked. Problem solved.

Diabetes shouldn't be ignored though.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:43 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
If you feel fine, don't bother having your numbers checked. Problem solved.

Diabetes shouldn't be ignored though.
Absolutely horrible advice. Coronary disease can be a silent killer.

Last edited by jrkliny; 06-18-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Absolutely horrible advice. Coronary disease can be a silent killer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Despite the fact that all her immediate family died by 57 of heart disease, my mom thought she knew better than the Dr. She refused to take her bp & statins and died of a stroke at 68. Her heart healthy diet wasn't enough with her genetics. My bp is OK without meds, and my Dr worked with me to find a statin that is mild and works for me.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 AM

695 posts, read 998,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Our parent's generation did not have statins and my father is a good example of the consequences. As he aged, atherosclerosis took a toll with a quad bypass, aortic aneurysm, clogged carotids, stroke, blindness and a list of issues that could have been greatly decreased with the use of statins.

Many of you have offered great advice on trying to find a healthy diet. That works for some and for virtually everyone will have some positive results. That does not mean it is a good idea to become your own doctors, give up statins and face the consequences of previous generations.

Physicians do not just arbitrarily decide on the use of statins. There are well researched consensus guidelines for evaluating lab results and a host of risk factors. Even with detailed guidelines some judgment is needed. There are also those who cannot tolerate statins or who need to try different formulations. Rather than become your own doctor, you would be better off to work with your doctor. For some, going off statins might be necessary. Weight loss, dietary changes and other steps to reduce risk can definitely help. In any case you need to work with your physician. If that is not working, you need to voice your concerns and possibly change physicians.
I think most people would agree with what you are saying. Meds should not be stopped without consultation with a physician, and drugs are appropriate for some patients, and in some cases, there isn't even a question.

However, when a PCP who sees a patient for the first time, for a 15 minute app't, looks at test results that are 2 years old with "borderline" high cholesterol, doesn't ask about any lifestyle issues (diet and exercise), and the patient has no other risk factors or any family history of heart disease, but the doctor immediately recommends Rx drugs without further testing or even asking about diet or exercise, then it's a problem. The first line of defense in an otherwise healthy adult should be diet and exercise changes if necessary, and an additional follow-up test before starting any serious drug, in my view. YMMV

In my experience, some docs don't appreciate patients who want more information before starting a new med, which is unfortunate. I personally think the doctor-patient relationship should be a team effort, not a "boss and a subordinate" situation. Physicians are experts in their fields and have an obligation to explain their recommendations to patients based on data. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 06-18-2019 at 10:24 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 10:26 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
I'm overweight, but have always had great numbers. My cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar are all great. My doctor tests them all, as well as many others every 6 months when I get my thyroid tests. I'm very lucky.

I used to have better than expected DEXA scores for my age, but recently had a new DEXA that said my spine density was bordering on osteopenia. I learned only in the last 6 months that my "family history" of various diseases was incorrect. I just found out who my bio dad was, and have spoken to his daughter (my half sister) about her dad's health history, and apparently he has osteoporosis of the spine, and so does she. So it looks like I'm going to get serious about supplementation. I intend to take a supplement that provides not just calcium and magnesium but numerous trace elements important for bone growth, as well as a strontium supplement. This combination has been proven in more than one clinical study to not just slow down bone loss, but to actually reverse it. So I will try it for a year and see if I can get another scan to check out how I'm doing. With my new family history, my doctor actually said that I now have NO risk factors for heart disease. I guess just being overweight is okay if the numbers are good.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
You don't have to take pills and that shouldn't have been the first response, diet and exercise changes should have been.

I think most people with high cholesterol, HBP and pre-diabetic can "feel" fine, but damage is being done to your body.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement