Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 11:12 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Please help me understand: You didn't know Florida has hurricanes every year? I'm not being snarky, but hurricanes have always been a part of life in Florida.
No hits from 2006 to 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I disagree as well. Some states go decades or longer without natural disasters. I can't think of a single natural disaster in Utah for example. As far as earthquakes, there have been very few earthquakes in the U.S. that have destroyed cities. 1906 comes in mind for San Fran and then 1960s for some towns in Alaska. Otherwise, an earthquake that destroys a city is quite rare. Hurricanes that destroy cities are not very rare. So yes, I would choose earthquake country as opposed to hurricane country.
After spending ten years in Utah (DH spent 30 ), I have to agree. No natural disasters there. At least not in the SE. Maybe avalanches in SLC, LOL.

BUT, you've got the Southwest issue of water. We had to "prove" our water rights every year, as our well slowly went dry. Aquifers draining due to overdevelopment.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Quote:
Please help me understand: You didn't know Florida has hurricanes every year? I'm not being snarky, but hurricanes have always been a part of life in Florida.
Florida does not have hurricanes every year. Some years they may get a tropical storm(s) and no hurricanes. Some years they may get nothing; not even a tropical storm (2011 is an example). And some years it is like they are in the bullseye for hurricanes. No way of knowing in advance how any one year is going to play out. If you live there, you just learn that on June 1st you start keeping an eye on what is going on in the tropics (especially when you get to the last part of August).

Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
No hits from 2006 to 2015
Okay, thanks Bette. I guess I was confusing tropical storms with hurricanes. As a northerner it seems every year there's something in Florida to sound the alarms. I am guessing that some of the tropical storms started out as a hurricane warning?? I'll blame it on the media. Haha!

https://www.differencebetween.com/di...-vs-hurricane/

Old 09-03-2019, 12:04 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Florida is prepared for hurricanes, much more so than lets say NJ. Tropical storm Sandy is a good example.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:09 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
No it's not really. It's not a significant part of life, living there for 30 years in the 60's to 90's. Many years we have none, or they head for the gulf or north. Some years, depending on where you are, it may hits parts of florida, mainly around the coast, and you wouldn't even know it in other parts. In my 30 years living in Central Florida it was never a big deal. Florida is a big state, for those that are geographically challenged, and hurricanes tend to diminish in strength dramatically once making landfall.

This one looks to be brushing past the state and heading north once it makes it's turn.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:34 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
If an innocent teen being gunned down by George z didn't make ya reconsider retiring there...then by golly you are ripe to be a resident. No sensible person would wish to live where it's a free for all on killings. Florida has some real wIng dinger laws.
That enough is reason to reside elsewhere.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:35 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft Laud Guy View Post
Maybe in Tornado Alley.

It's not the wind that kills most people during hurricanes, it's the storm surge.
And most if not all coastal houses are elevated above the surge level, right?

Old 09-03-2019, 12:40 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Florida does not have hurricanes every year. Some years they may get a tropical storm(s) and no hurricanes. Some years they may get nothing; not even a tropical (2011 is an example). And some years it is like they are in the bullseye for hurricanes. No way of knowing in advance how any one year is going to play out. If you live there, you just learn that on June 1st you start keeping an eye on what is going on in the tropics (especially when you get to the last part of August).
My family moved down here in October of 1960, right after Hurricane Donna hit Fort Myers. That was the last direct hit until Charley in 2004 and that actually made landfall in Punta Gorda, about 30 miles north of us. We were without power for three days. Wilma wasn't even an issue for my area although we did lose power for one day. Fortunately it was late October so it wasn't as hot as usual. Even Irma which caused destruction in my area made landfall south of us on Marco Island but it was such a large hurricane that we felt the effects here in Lee County. Cape Coral had no electricity for a week. Yes, we have had tropical storms but nothing that caused massive destruction like Camille, Floyd, Harvey, Katrina, Michael and Dorian.

I think with climate change we are going to see more destructive hurricanes in the coming years. My impact resistant windows are being installed toward the end of this month and I'm going to be checking into getting a generator. I had a new roof put on in 2017 that is up to the new hurricane specifications for Florida. The worst part of these hurricanes if you're not near the coast or river is the lack of electricity when the heat & humidity are unbearable without A/C.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
If an innocent teen being gunned down by George z didn't make ya reconsider retiring there...then by golly you are ripe to be a resident. No sensible person would wish to live where it's a free for all on killings. Florida has some real wIng dinger laws.
That enough is reason to reside elsewhere.
Thanks for your nonsensical social/political commentary. I am sure it's useful and relevant in our conversation about hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement