Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
bacterial disease.
There are plenty of bacterial infections that exist in the tropics or semi tropics that just don’t happen in Maine. I’m happy that Murphy of Murphy’s Law is not known to you by his first name(Edward, BTW), but some of us do know him that well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times
I like retirement in NorCal. OK, go ahead with the usual tirade about Calif etc. But CA doesnt tax Social Security. We have Prop 13 that caps property tax. Great health care. Im sure Florida works for some, thats great. Im not fond of humidity bugs hurricanes and weird rednecks so Ill take my chances with wildfires and occasional flooding, Im not in an earthquake zone.

OK, Im ready to be attacked, fire away!

Old 09-03-2019, 07:19 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Hurricanes RARELY strike the Tampa area and even then aren't that strong typically.

Do some more research on the topic, you realize that Tampa isn't even going to get breathed on hard by the current storm right?

Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
There are plenty of bacterial infections that exist in the tropics or semi tropics that just don’t happen in Maine. I’m happy that Murphy of Murphy’s Law is not known to you by his first name(Edward, BTW), but some of us do know him that well.
I'm not saying that the infections never happen in Florida. But it sort of like Lyme Disease in Maine. Some people are going to have a problem with it. But to the vast majority it is just something that they read about.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 PM

408 posts, read 259,894 times
Quote:
Thats the hidden gorilla in the room no one will talk about. Its not global warming, its excess population living in places that are not save from Mother Nature.

Cut back the population to 1950 levels and things will be real nice.
Sure, that is valid. You first.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Now that is just ridiculous. What they'll have is 12 months of beauty in Door County Wisconsin.
I went to visit my BFF in Milwaukee April 15th last year and landed in a blizzard. I left 80 degrees and palm trees to land in a foot of snow.

Quote:
If I lived in florida or any of the hurricane states, I would live in a reinforced concrete Dome house, sitting on telephone poles 12 feet above the ground with 1/4 inch steel shutters.
The new flood insurance requirements would be 17 feet above sea level not 12.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:11 PM

192 posts, read 133,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
I like retirement in NorCal. OK, go ahead with the usual tirade about Calif etc. But CA doesnt tax Social Security. We have Prop 13 that caps property tax. Great health care. Im sure Florida works for some, thats great. Im not fond of humidity bugs hurricanes and weird rednecks so Ill take my chances with wildfires and occasional flooding, Im not in an earthquake zone.

OK, Im ready to be attacked, fire away!
Ok, lol, I’ll bite. Born and raised in California. I’ll grant you that NorCal is beautiful, but moved to Az for retirement because I hate how the state (CA) has changed. Lots of different types of beauty here in AZ. It’s an outdoor lover’s paradise...hiking, Mtn biking, skiing. Also, NO HURRICANES, no earthquakes, low humidity, good healthcare (Mayo clinic, at least as good as most anything in CA IMHO), nice roads, “really” low humidity, top tax rate of 4.5%, no tax on social security, not many bugs (but a “few” nasties), and the coup de grace...two homes (one in the valley and one in the mountains) worth twice what our one home in California sold for, yet have a combined property tax of less than we were paying for the CA home we owned for more than 20 years. So much for Prop 13.

Last edited by Movn-on; 09-03-2019 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 09-03-2019, 08:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
... the snow. When I visited him, I noticed that there were many homes in his neighborhood that were blue "tarp"-ed and one even had a tree smashed right through the middle.

My brother said that most of the "bad" homes had people living in them, but those people didn't have the cash to repair their homes caused by storm damage. He said that hurricanes caused a lot of damage but so did unreported tropical storms and most of the homes had been repaired once but that their owners just ran out of cash to repair multiple times.

The national weather service is one source to learn about historical bad weather events. Newer construction is supposed to reduce high wind and storm surge damage.
Then they must have paid cash and not carried insurance on those homes
People w/mortgages usually are required by mortgage companies to carry insurance including flood insurance
Most people are smart to carry it even if they are not in flood plain...

And if you cant afford insurance you can’t afford a home

Old 09-03-2019, 08:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
Ok, lol, I’ll bite. Born and raised in California. I’ll grant you that NorCal is beautiful, but moved to Az for retirement because I hate how the state (CA) has changed. Lots of different types of beauty here in AZ. It’s an outdoor lover’s paradise...hiking, Mtn biking, skiing. Also, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, low humidity, good healthcare (Mayo clinic, at least as good as most anything in CA IMHO), nice roads, “really” low humidity, top tax rate of 4.5%, no tax on social security, not many bugs (but a “few” nasties), and the coup de grace...two homes (one in the valley and one in the mountains) worth twice what our one home in California sold for, yet have a combined property tax of less than we were paying for the CA home we owned for more than 20 years. So much for Prop 13.
But low property taxes usually carry lower quality public schools
At least that is my experience as public school teacher, parent, and someone who has lived in states w/low property taxes and higher property taxes...
Not always how I wish it would go but low property taxes usually have negative impact on public schools

Old 09-03-2019, 08:35 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
Ok, lol, I’ll bite. Born and raised in California. I’ll grant you that NorCal is beautiful, but moved to Az for retirement because I hate how the state (CA) has changed. Lots of different types of beauty here in AZ. It’s an outdoor lover’s paradise...hiking, Mtn biking, skiing. Also, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, low humidity, good healthcare (Mayo clinic, at least as good as most anything in CA IMHO), nice roads, “really” low humidity, top tax rate of 4.5%, no tax on social security, not many bugs (but a “few” nasties), and the coup de grace...two homes (one in the valley and one in the mountains) worth twice what our one home in California sold for, yet have a combined property tax of less than we were paying for the CA home we owned for more than 20 years. So much for Prop 13.
You left out the extreme heat,110+ degs some areas, monsoons and the tax on SS for high income earners. Thanks, Ill pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement