Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 07:22 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I know people in many times of stress want to find out why this person got a bad situation and why *I* might not... Yes, Mathjak has said he goes to the gym, runs, and so forth. That's great but not a guarantee of not getting COVID or anything else. It's really not our/my business, what every possible encounter in Mathjak's or his wife's life might be. Also, people do not necessarily lead perfect pristine isolated lives in these times over time, and that's their business.

MJ said a few days ago he and his wife got it while having lunch with a friend. So, no need for anyone to speculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 07:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

I also do not understand how our Dear MathJak107 who leads a very healthy lifestyle, exercises everyday (he called himself a gym rat) & eats healthy. And now he is in the hospital I wonder if he caught it in the gym?
time with grandchildren and adult children, he has diabetes,

lives or lived in high rise apartment building in New York City with ELEVATORS and lots of people. (if his apartment building is not a high rise, it would still likely have elevators)

looked for a new condo to move into during pandemic? perhaps that was a couple months ago (to move from NYC apartment to condo in Westchester Cty, a county right outside of NYC in Connecticut.....)

the rate of Covid infections shot back up again in NYC these past several weeks.

Mathjack can fill in, if he cares to

Oh, just saw the 'lunch with a friend post' above mine.
after I wrote this

But anyway, as you can see, there are endless ways to contract Covid.

And people (and children) who have Covid, but are asymptomatic, are walking around not knowing they have Covid, and everyone who comes into contact with these people do not know they have Covid either.....and Covid can and has spread this way too.

Not sure why you would think the aspects above in blue (which you listed) would keep someone from getting Covid......

Last edited by matisse12; 01-01-2021 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-01-2021, 07:58 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're monitoring the levels of bacteria in your blood. Tests determine what to do. I had two relatives in for sepsis and I administered IV antibiotics at home. The doctors gave general antibiotics at the hospital before the culture came back.
A few weeks ago my son's fiancé had Covid she went to the ER and was admitted but released the next morning on an IV that she had to use at home. She's doing well now but she had a rough time for a while.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:10 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
At 9:30 I had the test where I stayed in the car and a nurse came out stuffing a swab up my nose... I swear to God I could feel the swap push on my eyeball.
I had that test several months ago (turned out negative). My eyes were watering afterward.

I agree with taking vitamin D. Glad you're on the mend.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:45 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
You can probably get one for $30 from a local pharmacy (hope they deliver). There are very expensive ones, but for your purposes, the inexpensive one is fine.
Thank you, I just ordered one from Amazon and it should be here on Tuesday!

I'm feeling pretty good this evening.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:38 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
I'd get two inexpensive test kits.
I basically don't trust a single test on anything. Too much at risk.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:52 PM

726 posts, read 328,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
....This morning I am very happy to report I felt great! No kidding, the cough and fatigue is still there but nothing is like it was...
That is great! I was wondering why some people die from Covid19, why some people get really, really sick, other people get mildly sick, and yet others get barely sick at all! Finally I asked in another forum where I know there's a really smart guy - with a medical degree. I think I got a great response:
"I'd say this sort of spectrum of response is actually pretty common--it's just that, unless you're a friend or family member, you don't normally hear about all the people in intensive care who suffer a life-threatening reaction to a generally benign disease. The sheer prevalence of Covid has brought the existence of a "severe disease" tail for this infection into the spotlight, but that sort of thing has been going on in the background for as long as humans have existed.
For instance, some of the sickest people I ever dealt with had Group A Streptococcal disease--an overwhelming inflammatory response to a pretty much ubiquitous and generally mild pathogen.
What we've started to see is that these people are generating a disordered immune reaction to a specific provocation, and that this has specific genetic associations. Some of the genetic associations for Group A Strep disease were published this year. And the same thing has been turning up with Covid--a couple of weeks ago Nature published "Genetic mechanisms of critical illness in Covid-19".

So basically there are a group of people who probably get a high viral load to begin with, and then mount a disordered immune response (the "cytokine storm" that you may have heard of)."

Old 01-01-2021, 09:54 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
People need to be aware that Nice4 or Mathjak, you and I can catch CoVid anywhere because it is airborne, The closer you are to another person, we are taking risks.

We have all seen the earlier video on how far aerosol particles from a cough or sneeze, can travel. Often it is not how far it travels but how long the aerosols stay airborne in your immediate vicinity.
If you can smell some one smoking, you are getting too close.
If you can see the vapor from a vap'or you are really in danger.
In the our damp PNW, vapor lingers and stays airborne for a longtime.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I would never call this beast just a flue if it takes hold ..I have had bad flue in my life ..there is nothing I have had ever that compares to just a moderate case of covid
Please keep us posted mathjack! Sending healing vibes from the PNW. If I knew how to drum, I would drum you recovery beats.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:36 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
On the other hand my wife is on steroids and rendesimer.....I was never on redesimer ...she has a touch of pneumonia, I don’t ...

I don’t try to question the most experienced medical teams with this stuff in our ny top tier hospitals...they have this down to military precision after a year
Exactly. Listen to the medical professionals. I am glad you are in an excellent facility where you are receiving state of art care. I will look for updates. What you, TallysMom and nicet4 (sorry if I got names wrong) are telling us is very informative first person accounts. I have been careful (hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes) but DH has COPD. I am considering all your posts as a wakeup call to be extra-vigilant. May you all thrive in 2021!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement