Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 09:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
And additionally, I just recently retired from long years in healthcare. But medicine that I practiced was confident and useful. We didn't lose patients, we weren't helpless and clueless, not even in those initial years of raging AIDS around 1980. It is a combination of tragic and idiotic and very very strange that a healthcare worker feels when there is nothing to offer as a remedy (if you saw my other posts, I really don't believe the famous ventilators are doing anything worthwhile in this situation). Just want this to be over. This is not possible. We seem to have collectively wandered into some kind of incorrect universe...
Try to do something nice for yourself tomorrow. Could be food, a walk, sit outside if the sun is shining, gardening... just some little thing that makes you smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 07:19 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
@ Ansible - thank you for the kind words. I am actually not freaking out 24/7, you can see that my posts are mostly normal :-). Since I just made the decision re full retirement a few weeks ago (after a lifetime of maximal professional stresssss!), I am just pleasantly relaxing at home & feeling very content... but every few hours, the full awareness of the actual reason why I am pleasantly relaxing at home, erupts like a volcano for about 20 min.... aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh.....

@ Matisse - as a person with biomedical background, I can tell you that a large proportion of published science is not worth any attention, particularly in this situation of very little knowledge. We now understand HIV very well, and it has been finally fully controlled (at least in the West) for about a decade or so (in which achievement Dr. Fauci had a major role), but the first two decades were a horrendous struggle... and HIV is not remotely as easily transmissible as coronavirus. Hopefully this last fact has sufficiently kicked the administrative component of the biomedical scientific community in the rear to permanently realize where the priorities should be, which will hopefully result in FASTER development of immune and molecular therapies for this and other viral diseases (and maybe a spectrum of other non-infectious diseases for which the immune/molecular approach is applicable, actually). For now, I don't think anyone can truthfully give any informed prediction about the course of this epidemic.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:17 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

@ Matisse - as a person with biomedical background, I can tell you that a large proportion of published science is not worth any attention, particularly in this situation of very little knowledge. We now understand HIV very well, and it has been finally fully controlled (at least in the West) for about a decade or so (in which achievement Dr. Fauci had a major role), but the first two decades were a horrendous struggle... and HIV is not remotely as easily transmissible as coronavirus. Hopefully this last fact has sufficiently kicked the administrative component of the biomedical scientific community in the rear to permanently realize where the priorities should be, which will hopefully result in FASTER development of immune and molecular therapies for this and other viral diseases (and maybe a spectrum of other non-infectious diseases for which the immune/molecular approach is applicable, actually). For now, I don't think anyone can truthfully give any informed prediction about the course of this epidemic.
I hope you are correct about CDC and NIH turning their focus to infectious diseases. I think we as a nation (including the medical and scientific community) have forgotten or are too young to remember all the communicable diseases we used to deal with in the days before vaccines. We have become so lax that most of our population doesn't even know one should stay home when sick.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've had a few flashes of fear with this virus. I am alone and independent, and while some things take me longer now, I can still do them.

But recently I have had thoughts of not being able to do things I need to do. Housework? can't remember last time. Cooking? not much of it, glad there are frozen meals, mixes, things that I can put together easily. Our big grocery store has nice salads already made. Meals already made. Yes, some expensive stuff but for me cheaper than making from scratch where there is the chance they won't get used and therefore thrown out.

I'm eventually going to have to hire someone to come in to clean my apartment. I keep thinking I can get it done. But then it does not.
i'm like you

I thought i would be like so many others and just be cleaning away and cooking etc.

Nope. I'm just reading online and listening to the news.

I did realize that it was affecting me. So I started going for walks.

And then i got a burst of energy and planted some veggies

But there are other things going on in real life (sale of house) that has to be taken care of. Not my house - parental house. And with death of sibling after paperwork had been done, - have to start all over.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Clemencia53[/b];57802853]i'm like you

I thought i would be like so many others and just be cleaning away and cooking etc.

Nope. I'm just reading online and listening to the news.

I did realize that it was affecting me. So I started going for walks.

And then i got a burst of energy and planted some veggies

But there are other things going on in real life (sale of house) that has to be taken care of. Not my house - parental house. And with death of sibling after paperwork had been done, - have to start all over.

I am doing way too much sleeping. I can sit down and be asleep five minutes later. Wake up four hours later. Too much TV. Unmotivated.

Your walking is so good, I need to do more of it. That's probably where your burst of energy came from.

Sounds like you are doing fine!

Sorry for your loss of your sibling.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I am doing way too much sleeping. I can sit down and be asleep five minutes later. Wake up four hours later. Too much TV. Unmotivated.
I do think people underestimate the stress of the shock of the world being turned inside out and continue to churn around us every day. Even for us who are retired, it's still our lives and world that are being churned, our country, everywhere. I think it's reasonable to feel exhausted or sleep more, no matter what one is doing or not doing. I know it is for me.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
And what about the actions of the federal gov for their delayed Covid-19 response?

Tell the states that their 'on their own', then commandeer the process away from them?

Feds seize coronavirus test kit materials bound for Bellingham (WA) hospital and Northwest
https://www.city-data.com/forum/wash...materials.html
When the test kit materials were redirected, PeaceHealth simply received information from its supplier that the items were not going to be delivered and told “they had been diverted to the East Coast based on direction from the federal government,” Rush reported.

According to the Los Angeles Times story, hospital and clinic officials in seven states described similar seizures in the past week, though the Federal Emergency Management Agency has not publicly announced the seizures.
Shutting down (FEMA de-funding) testing when we are still reporting the highest number of new cases everyday.
(without a vaccine, testing is the only get under control via frequent and repeat testing... )
https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/apr/0...virus-testing/

Seems to be the wrong decisions at the moment. (as usual, but these are blatantly wrong with dangerous consequences)

Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Here is an article from my newsfeed about ventilators, should rethink about using ventilators. I know some governors have been demanding 40,000 ventilators. But maybe that’s not such a good idea.

https://news.yahoo.com/rethinking-co...123733204.html

Old 04-09-2020, 08:22 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Below is a link to an interview with Dr. Fauci. What I found to be most interesting and somewhat alarming was this observation by Fauci:

"This is an unusual disease. I'm fascinated, Sanjay, by what I would call the pathogenesis.You know, you get so many people who do well and then some people who just, bingo, they're on a respirator, they're on ECMO (a life-support machine) and they're dead. I mean, the dichotomy between that, there's something there, Sanjay, that we're missing from a pathogenesis standpoint. And I don't think it's only if you're elderly or if you have underlying conditions. There's something else going on there that hopefully we'll ultimately figure out."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/health/sanjay-gupta-podcast-april-1/index.html

Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Here is an article from my newsfeed about ventilators, should rethink about using ventilators. I know some governors have been demanding 40,000 ventilators. But maybe that’s not such a good idea.

https://news.yahoo.com/rethinking-co...123733204.html
It's interesting, for sure. I have no intention of EVER going on a ventilator. I'm going to update my advanced directive but even the one I drafted over a decade ago was clear. No DNR, no intubation. OTOH, they'd better knock me out if I'm drowning in my own fluids. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement