Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 02:58 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times

Advertisements

Two cases here related to travel. Two cases in a nursing home, which indicates community spread since all of them have been locked down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 04:44 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
WHO Numbers on the SARS-COVID-19

167 days to reach the first 100K confirmed cases

11 days to reach the second 100K confirmed cases

4 days to reach the third 100K confirmed cases

2 to 3 days to reach the fourth 100K confirmed cases.

Please watch this short video of a few city mayors in Italy imploring residents to stay home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtGJsnLgSc&t=3s

Old 03-26-2020, 04:08 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Some good news — N.Y. Hospitals using IV vitamin C with some success for virus.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/new-yo...ith-vitamin-c/

Interesting info. I would also be curious to see if Vitamin D or lack of it has been explored to be a contributing factor in enhancing contractibility of this virus. I know for myself several years back when I began to develop one URI after another which was atypical for me my doctor decided to test my level and it was found to be severely low. With supplementation and getting my level to norm I experienced no further URIs following. When you consider in the US with the main hot spot zones being Washington state and NYC neither locations get very much sunlight where the bulk of our Vitamin D comes from this time of year so could low D be another contributing factor ??

There are many extrinsic things we can't control during this virus outbreak, but we do have some control over our own intrinsics which includes learning about and putting into practice the things we can do individually to promote our own immune health which IMO is as equally important as social distancing in reducing our vulnerability of contracting this virus.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
WHO Numbers on the SARS-COVID-19

167 days to reach the first 100K confirmed cases

11 days to reach the second 100K confirmed cases

4 days to reach the third 100K confirmed cases

2 to 3 days to reach the fourth 100K confirmed cases.

Please watch this short video of a few city mayors in Italy imploring residents to stay home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtGJsnLgSc&t=3s

WOW!!!

Old 03-26-2020, 09:53 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Colorado is now under a stay home lock down everything closed order. They sent out one of those LOUD EAS notification things via cell phones at 7am today. I was sleeping so well too. Pot shops and liquor stores can stay open. Glad the state has its priorities.

Here's my opinion...if you're sick stay home. If you're scared stay home. Wear a goofy mask when you go out, don't pick your nose, don't lick door knobs. Whole thing is just nuts.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
There's a post over in fashion and beauty on this and I saw a few articles as well as I perused the news this morning.

Manicures/pedicures/hair coloring/etc.....all these services that people use that are shut down now have many women feeling anxious. And few can do it themselves as they don't know how to go about it.
No more gym, yoga class, spa sessions either.

Yeah, yeah..first world problems. But...self esteem is part of your health and staying healthy is very important right now..mental health included.

This big pseudo lockdown is barely a week old. The longer it goes on the more people are going to stress over missing their routines.

Really never dawned on me since I'm an introvert and DIY so doing at home is how I live my life.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:53 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I'm not leaving for Minnesota until the end of April and the ban may be lifted by then but was glad to see that traveling back there from somewhere was not restricted. So many snowbirds who just want to get back to their main residence.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
My husband (age 63) and I (age 66) are going into voluntary self-quarantine (except for neighborhood walks) starting 9 a.m. tomorrow. We have four stores to visit tomorrow before then (between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.), but that will be all until we think the virus in the U.S. is back at late February levels. My hope and guess is that it will not be more than eight weeks of self-isolation -- we think that it will be mid-May until there are three successive weeks of the number of deaths being at least half of the week before -- but the only things we anticipate missing are eggs, milk, and fresh produce.

We have no underlying health conditions -- except that my husband takes meds for high blood pressure (genetic, he's been taking them for over 30 years), and we could both stand to lose 25 lbs. -- but we figure better safe than sorry.

Thank goodness we are both introverts and VERY compatible with each other!!!!

Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 PM

947 posts, read 787,190 times
Default Will The CV-19 Crisis Alter The SS Discussion?

I've always been a proponent of phasing out tax deferred retirement savings programs and improving SS to compensate for the demise of pensions. Federal and state employees' retirement systems should also be phased out. We need everyone in on SS for it to function best. People can and should still save what they can on their own, but SS could be improved so it can provide a livable wage for all; livable based on the national (not local) cost of living.

Pres Trump stated that his administration would be taking a look at SS in his second term. Will the stock market volatility caused by CV-19 change the discussion from cutting SS as proposed by McConnell, to strengthening it as proposed by Sanders?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...cid=spartanntp

Old 03-26-2020, 04:38 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I've always been a proponent of phasing out tax deferred retirement savings programs and improving SS to compensate for the demise of pensions. Federal and state employees' retirement systems should also be phased out. We need everyone in on SS for it to function best. People can and should still save what they can on their own, but SS could be improved so it can provide a livable wage for all; livable based on the national (not local) cost of living.

Pres Trump stated that his administration would be taking a look at SS in his second term. Will the stock market volatility caused by CV-19 change the discussion from cutting SS as proposed by McConnell, to strengthening it as proposed by Sanders?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...cid=spartanntp
People with government pensions don't want a livable wage. They want the money they get now, that they contributed to, and retirement in their 50's. They would never go for your idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement