Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My husband (age 63) and I (age 66) are going into voluntary self-quarantine (except for neighborhood walks) starting 9 a.m. tomorrow. We have four stores to visit tomorrow before then (between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.), but that will be all until we think the virus in the U.S. is back at late February levels. My hope and guess is that it will not be more than eight weeks of self-isolation -- we think that it will be mid-May until there are three successive weeks of the number of deaths being at least half of the week before -- but the only things we anticipate missing are eggs, milk, and fresh produce.

We have no underlying health conditions -- except that my husband takes meds for high blood pressure (genetic, he's been taking them for over 30 years), and we could both stand to lose 25 lbs. -- but we figure better safe than sorry.

Thank goodness we are both introverts and VERY compatible with each other!!!!
No fair. We are already 3 weeks and 2 days in......and I feel now that we are just getting started cause everyone else is!

DC just locked down for a month - almost a complete lockdown to April 24.

Florida (here) is not locked down except in some areas. DeSantis is buying the Trump lines and was hoping it would go away. Very little testing being done, although cases are spiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No fair. We are already 3 weeks and 2 days in......and I feel now that we are just getting started cause everyone else is!

DC just locked down for a month - almost a complete lockdown to April 24.

Florida (here) is not locked down except in some areas. DeSantis is buying the Trump lines and was hoping it would go away. Very little testing being done, although cases are spiking.
Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach ordered hotels/short term rentals to cancel anything booked after Sunday.
No new reservations until May 1.

"In light of those up north fleeing to other areas...." is what prompted them to meet today and enact emergency orders.

Also all passengers at Myrtle Beach airport will get their temp taken. It's a small airport though.

https://wpde.com/news/local/city-of-...sunday-at-noon
The City of Myrtle Beach is asking most visitors to be out of the city by noon on Sunday, unless they've been here since March 1.

They've also ordered all including hotels, motels, condo hotels, rental properties, inclusive of private management companies and Airbnb, VRBO style lodging, plus public and private campgrounds to stop taking new reservations prior to May 1.

They also ordered that existing reservations starting Saturday through April 30 to be rescheduled or canceled.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:01 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm not leaving for Minnesota until the end of April and the ban may be lifted by then but was glad to see that traveling back there from somewhere was not restricted. So many snowbirds who just want to get back to their main residence.
After your beloved brother is stronger/healthier/feels better, y'all can go enjoy some spring fishing...
Take Care...

Old 03-26-2020, 09:34 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
After your beloved brother is stronger/healthier/feels better, y'all can go enjoy some spring fishing...
Take Care...
Thanks Hawk. I'm proud to say that I caught the biggest fish a couple years ago. Mighty fine tasting too.

It is one of the things I miss about Minnesota. I didn't do much ice fishing, although I did do some, but there's something about being on a lake, fishing, that can't be beat.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:15 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Because I was too busy or too lazy to deal with it at the time, as we sort it according to mail that might cause headaches if it were too fall into dishonest hands (such as offers for credit cards or home equity loans, old paystubs, etc.), and these boxes now also include very old bank statements and a "ton" of old mail order catalogs, like those from L.L.Bean. And it also includes a lot of waste 8 x 11 paper that is only printed on one side, which I use to print online recipes and things like that. So now we are sorting into "shred", "recycle, doesn't need shredding" and "reuse".

Good question, btw!
Why not just take ALL junk mail and shred it?

In our case, no piece of paper leaves the house unless it has been shredded. That includes the pages that say "intentionally left blank."

Old 03-26-2020, 10:38 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Thanks Hawk. I'm proud to say that I caught the biggest fish a couple years ago. Mighty fine tasting too.

It is one of the things I miss about Minnesota. I didn't do much ice fishing, although I did do some, but there's something about being on a lake, fishing, that can't be beat.
That's Great, Meo (biggest fish Congrats) Which species fish did you catch?

My favorites for eating are fillets of deep-fried/with dip mix, Striped Bass/catfish/crappie/red ear sunfish...yum
With fresh made French fries or fried potatoes & onions/coleslaw/cornbread/cold beer.
I usually fish in a lake or pond from my boat or from shore.

I love to catch&release Largemouth Black Bass.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:16 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Trout. Wow, sounds like you're in a fish wonderland. We just have trout, sunfish and croppies.

Back to keeping yourself in seclusion, I wonder how long this will really go on? When would a person feel 'safe?'.

I worry about having the furniture liquidators in here too soon. What I will do is contact them after the first and see what they feel comfortable with.

I know life is uncertain for all of us and we all wish there were more 'knowns' in this uncertain life.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:57 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Trout. Wow, sounds like you're in a fish wonderland. We just have trout, sunfish and croppies.

Back to keeping yourself in seclusion, I wonder how long this will really go on? When would a person feel 'safe?'.

I worry about having the furniture liquidators in here too soon. What I will do is contact them after the first and see what they feel comfortable with.

I know life is uncertain for all of us and we all wish there were more 'knowns' in this uncertain life.
Hi meo!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, put off your plans to "give up house and home and hit the road", at least temporarily.

We still don't know where this thing is going!

I'm starting to see YouTube videos from rubber trampers who are NIT having a fun time of it.

You have to remember that: rest areas are closed, hotels ( should you need one) are closing, gas stations CAN be open, but may be fewer and farther between. Many resorts are shut down, including the "happiest place on Earth"... Disney world.
When in LOCKDOWN areas, they are going stir crazy ( as are those of at home) in an 8'x13' space, or worse quarantining in a CAR or Minivan.

So, I hope you tell the furniture liquidators"no dice", at least not for a year!

Best to you and all of us as we get on our own nerves!!( Let alone someone else's nerves!)

Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hi meo!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, put off your plans to "give up house and home and hit the road", at least temporarily.

We still don't know where this thing is going!

I'm starting to see YouTube videos from rubber trampers who are NIT having a fun time of it.

You have to remember that: rest areas are closed, hotels ( should you need one) are closing, gas stations CAN be open, but may be fewer and farther between. Many resorts are shut down, including the "happiest place on Earth"... Disney world.
When in LOCKDOWN areas, they are going stir crazy ( as are those of at home) in an 8'x13' space, or worse quarantining in a CAR or Minivan.

So, I hope you tell the furniture liquidators"no dice", at least not for a year!

Best to you and all of us as we get on our own nerves!!( Let alone someone else's nerves!)

The truckers are having a hard time on the road. Hard to find food and gas. The lockdown is having an impact on them.

You can't exactly pull an 18 wheeler into the McDonald's drivethru.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I've always been a proponent of phasing out tax deferred retirement savings programs and improving SS to compensate for the demise of pensions. Federal and state employees' retirement systems should also be phased out. We need everyone in on SS for it to function best. People can and should still save what they can on their own, but SS could be improved so it can provide a livable wage for all; livable based on the national (not local) cost of living.
FYI, federal employees have been contributing fully to the Social Security system since 1984.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Why not just take ALL junk mail and shred it?
Because if you have a typical personal/home office shredder that only shreds a few pages at a time, shredding everything would require extra time and effort and serve no purpose whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
In our case, no piece of paper leaves the house unless it has been shredded. That includes the pages that say "intentionally left blank."
Enjoy yourself. I've got more important things to do with my time than shredding blank pieces of paper, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement