Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 AM

498 posts, read 572,264 times

Advertisements

I am also a shredder of anything with my name on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 10:27 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Ramped up police patrols on my beach.
Was there this morning and they are going up and down the beach constantly.
Folks around me were keeping their distance and I didn't see any big groups.
City enacted emergency ordinance yesterday basically shutting down hotels. No reservations from Sunday until May 1.

Opposite of what is going on in Florida. I'm glad folks here are taking it seriously. Our beaches are still open and I hope it stays that way.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:59 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
You can take shredding to a UPS Store, if you can find one open, they take shredding and it’s inexpensive, pay by weight. Iron Mountain which is a nationally known shredding company then comes and picks it up, it’s shredded right there. You can ask to receive a receipt from them that your docs were shredded. If you have a lot, it’s worth it. I used to work for a large international financial firm and we always used Iron Mountain.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:47 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,820,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I asked this elsewhere and did not get an answer, so I am asking it again here:

What is the point of continuing to wash surfaces if you are self-isolating and if you have NO visitors? After we come home from our once-a-week grocery shopping, wash our hands thoroughly, put the groceries away, and again wash our hands thoroughly, what more needs to be done and why?

Also, regarding produce and groceries washing, if you put the groceries away and don't touch them for at least 24 hours, wouldn't the virus (if it existed) die on its own?

Thanks for any answers to these questions!
I think if you don't have kids, you're ok.
I'm in the same boat and after discarding my mask (if I used one) I wash my hands, fruits and vegetables, swipe plastic casings, etc., put my clothes in the washer, shower, and do a wash every time I go 'public'.
Surface cleaning is overkill and may not make a difference in our case.
IMO OVERKILL is GOOD.
Do I do it with the absolute tenacity that I perform the other essential acts?
No, but I do the best I can.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:48 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
A bit of good news:

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...5-minutes.html

DETECT COVID-19 IN AS LITTLE AS 5 MINUTES

FDA grants emergency use authorization for fastest available molecular point-of-care test for novel coronavirus.

Abbott has received emergency use authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the fastest available molecular point-of-care test for the detection of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), delivering positive results in as little as five minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.

What makes this test so different is where it can be used: outside the four walls of a traditional hospital such as in the physicians' office or urgent care clinics.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...5-minutes.html

Old 03-28-2020, 06:08 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
There was also a story about a pregnant scientist in India who developed something similar. She had her baby, a girl, the next day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52064427

Old 03-29-2020, 04:36 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
The local hospital here in Cookeville said they are pretty much ready to go. They are running different scenarios every day. Max capacity would be another 150-175 beds from what is occupied now. They could handle 150 patients on ventilators. They have a two month supply of personal protective equipment on hand.

We have 17 people in our county tested as positive so far with only one hospitalized. Lucky for now, but we know it will be here in a much larger way, sooner or later. We also have to consider that our hospital is the largest between Nashville and Knoxville. So if the smaller hospitals in the middle Tennessee area get overwhelmed, they will be looking here for assistance.

It is going to be an interesting next few weeks.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:09 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
The local hospital here in Cookeville said they are pretty much ready to go. They are running different scenarios every day. Max capacity would be another 150-175 beds from what is occupied now. They could handle 150 patients on ventilators. They have a two month supply of personal protective equipment on hand.

We have 17 people in our county tested as positive so far with only one hospitalized. Lucky for now, but we know it will be here in a much larger way, sooner or later. We also have to consider that our hospital is the largest between Nashville and Knoxville. So if the smaller hospitals in the middle Tennessee area get overwhelmed, they will be looking here for assistance.

It is going to be an interesting next few weeks.
They'll get killed with a severe outbreak. Anything serious will get referred to Vanderbilt or whomever is left standing in Nashville. Those hospitals have far greater expertise and capacity than Cookeville. Cookeville could deal with mild-symptom COVID patients. They don't have the ventilators, tools, or expertise, even per capita, to deal with a real outbreak.

It's the same here. If I had significant coronavirus symptoms and can drive, I'm driving my ass down to UT Medical Center (provided they aren't overrun) for treatment. We don't have the expertise or resources to deal with serious COVID patients locally.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's the same here. If I had significant coronavirus symptoms and can drive, I'm driving my ass down to UT Medical Center (provided they aren't overrun) for treatment. We don't have the expertise or resources to deal with serious COVID patients locally.
A significant symptom calling for hospitalization would be a very compromised breathing or inability to breathe. Doubt anyone experiencing that is gonna hop in the car and go elsewhere.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:00 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They'll get killed with a severe outbreak. Anything serious will get referred to Vanderbilt or whomever is left standing in Nashville. Those hospitals have far greater expertise and capacity than Cookeville. Cookeville could deal with mild-symptom COVID patients. They don't have the ventilators, tools, or expertise, even per capita, to deal with a real outbreak.

If it gets severe in Tennessee, there won't be any referred to Nashville or driving to UT Medical Center Knoxville. They will have the No Vacancy signs hung out as they will be swamped from their immediate areas.

Like it or not our well being is pretty much going to depend on the hospitals in our immediate areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement