Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yeap, everybody here said the CDC is top notch, I knew they made mistakes on multiple fronts.
You're right.

Moreover, the CDC is in full-on ass-covering-mode, refusing to give information to the FDA regarding their manufacturing problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 02:13 PM
JRR

8,161 posts, read 5,653,202 times
There is a couple that we enjoy playing cards with; used to play on Friday afternoon and then go out to dinner. Haven't done it for the last six weeks or so. I was telling my wife the other day that maybe we could do it sometime soon as, being a bit older than us and with several medical conditions, they would be playing it safe regarding exposure.

Got a phone call from them yesterday just to see how we were doing. During the course of the conversation, it come up that they are bored and have been going over to Walmart a lot to wander around, been at a crowded nursery to get some plants, shop at two grocery stores and the husband goes to Lowes every other day or so.

I guess we'll put off the getting together just a bit longer. While we are not sitting here quaking in our boots about this, we figure we will stay on the side of caution for a bit longer and see how this plays out.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I have been reading on line news. Bad idea. Now the EMTs in NY are being told not to try to resuscitate any Covid patient who has no heart beat. Previously they were trying for 20 minutes before giving up. This DNR seems really unfair to those patients who might be able to be brought back to life. Just because there are too many medical workers out sick, patients are dying with no one trying to help those that could be saved.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:07 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I have been reading on line news. Bad idea. Now the EMTs in NY are being told not to try to resuscitate any Covid patient who has no heart beat. Previously they were trying for 20 minutes before giving up. This DNR seems really unfair to those patients who might be able to be brought back to life. Just because there are too many medical workers out sick, patients are dying with no one trying to help those that could be saved.

Is it EMTs in the field, or is it known COVID patients in-hospital who need resuscitation and the breathing part of resuscitation is too dangerous for providers? How would an EMT in the field know if someone had COVID? I say this as someone who has done CPR on people in hospital and had annual training for years.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
It was rescinded.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-...-crisis-report

Old 04-22-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Aha.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You and I must be reading and listening to very different people.

“Cigarette smoking causes heart and lung diseases, suppresses the immune system, and increases the risk of respiratory infections,” FDA spokeswoman Alison Hunt said. “People who smoke cigarettes may be at increased risk from Covid-19, and may have worse outcomes from Covid-19.”
Some indication that nicotine may reduce severity of symptoms. So on one hand, your bust up smoking lungs put you at greater risk, but nicotine may help some.... early stages. I have some vague recollection that nicotine reduced inflammation in regards to psoriasis. Something I read years ago. I smoked and had psoriasis, so it stuck.

Hoping now I have the magic combo, stopped smoking a decade ago but still chew nicotine gum...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Hoping now I have the magic combo, stopped smoking a decade ago but still chew nicotine gum...
Actually, that could be on the right track!

Old 04-23-2020, 09:47 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
A segment on the news this morning was about pulse oximeters which measure blood oxygen levels. They are those little devices that clip onto the end of your finger while they take you temp at the doctors.

Patients are arriving at the ER with Covid-19 with pulse ox levels of 50 instead of the normal in the 90’s. This is similar to high altitude blood oxygen levels. The patients can talk but have shortness of breath. The thought is that blood oxygen levels in the first phase of covid pneumonia start drifting down until the patients go to the ER in the second phase where they are in more acute condition. In Germany, they are monitoring patients at home and use a pulse oximeter to check that blood oxygen levels are not going down. Early intervention with oxygen and other methods may help before the acute phase.

I research online for more information on pulse oximeters and Covid-19. I found numerous articles from various new sources stating how they aren’t meant for non-medical people, even FDA approved ones may not be accurate and using one is stressing people out. Okay, that makes sense, but continuing down near the bottom of each article is a familiar statement, eerily reminiscent of wearing masks: these are part of the equipment that are needed for medical facilities and the general public doesn’t need them.

I have no issue or argument that PPE’s should be available to the medical community first. I can accept being told a pulse oximeter is a useful tool but needs to be reserved for the professionals. What I can’t except is being told I would not know how to use it or understand the numbers and while FDA approved devices aren’t accurate for me, they are fine for medical people to use.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-23-2020 at 10:03 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 09:55 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I bought one. The ready shows I am always at 97-99%. DH was sick and having trouble breathing and it showed him at 95%, now he feels better 99%. So I think it is giving a good reading.

We had bought one for MIL because she has COPD and is on oxygen, and it seems to give a good reading too.

I bought it because I needed something to quantify whether we should go to the hospital if one of us catches Covid19.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement