Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 05:29 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Do you have a link or article or such about asthma not being predictive? I did think that lung compromises were involved in more severe illness, if not mortality, or need for vents/hospitalization. No link available, though, not trying to second-guess the poster.
A doctor talking on radio about his asthmatic patients said he was struck by how they did not seem to be more susceptible to serious problems with COVID-19. He thought it was because the wheezing in asthma is a condition of the airways TO the lungs rather than the lungs’ air sacs themselves, which is where this virus supposedly likes to settle and harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
A doctor talking on radio about his asthmatic patients said he was struck by how they did not seem to be more susceptible to serious problems with COVID-19. He thought it was because the wheezing in asthma is a condition of the airways TO the lungs rather than the lungs’ air sacs themselves, which is where this virus supposedly likes to settle and harm.
That makes sense.
This is so much a ghastly virus. Not that there's much to recommend any of them but this one is diabolic in its mechanism and effects.

Last edited by brightdoglover; 04-14-2020 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-14-2020, 06:37 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
They seem to be finding that the people most likely to die from covid seem to have mostly: obesity; diabetes; hypertension; cardiac issues. What is surprising for a virus attacking the lungs is that pulmonary issues like asthma don't seem to be a predictor for mortality. (Obviously over 60yo is also a determinant.)
Asthma is definitely considered a high risk factor. I've read of several deaths where asthma was the only underlying issue that was mentioned.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ns/asthma.html

Old 04-14-2020, 06:45 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
[mod cut - posted in wrong thread, couldn't move]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-15-2020 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-14-2020, 11:05 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Asthma is definitely considered a high risk factor. I've read of several deaths where asthma was the only underlying issue that was mentioned.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ns/asthma.html
Well, it was something that I read in a news article today that a doctor said but I can't remember where I read it. He said he mentioned it because it surprised him & wasn't at all what his expectation was. Sorry, I go through lots of articles from various news sources each day, genuine journalists, not blogs or political opinion oriented sites. But I can't remember the source.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:40 AM

413 posts, read 701,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Well, it was something that I read in a news article today that a doctor said but I can't remember where I read it. He said he mentioned it because it surprised him & wasn't at all what his expectation was. Sorry, I go through lots of articles from various news sources each day, genuine journalists, not blogs or political opinion oriented sites. But I can't remember the source.
One doctor's take is anecdotal. All kinds of theories are circulating. We really won't know until they can analyze the data.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:41 PM

109 posts, read 115,201 times
Default Earlier peak in cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It looks like Vanderbilt University Medical has come out with their latest models for the virus in Tennessee. There are approximately 10,000 hospital bed in the state.

If we continue with the same social distancing as we are doing now, the virus peak would be the middle of June with 5000 hospitalizations.

If we improved on social distancing the peak would be in the middle of May with 2000-3000 hospitalizations

If we quit social distancing we are pretty much screwed. By mid May 50,000 people would require hospitalization.

It will be interesting to see how Governor Lee proceeds in the face of these projections.
It seems strange that improved social distancing would cause the number of cases to peak earlier (mid May instead of mid June). Wouldn't an earlier peak require a faster rate of spread?

I will see if I can find the Vanderbilt model and review their assumptions...???

Old 04-15-2020, 03:48 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
It seems that according to some that some people that are Asymptomatic but present no symptoms are already some wht immune but this still means that they can be carriers.
Unless testing is done on all, there is no way to know who is and who isnot.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:25 PM
JRR

8,161 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman03 View Post
It seems strange that improved social distancing would cause the number of cases to peak earlier (mid May instead of mid June). Wouldn't an earlier peak require a faster rate of spread?

I will see if I can find the Vanderbilt model and review their assumptions...???
https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...es/5127909002/

Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,272 times
Women who were mothers-to-be about to deliver and presented at a New York hospital were ALL tested for COVID and 33% tested positive - and were asymptomatic.

Reported on MSNBC tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement