Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 08:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Women who were mothers-to-be about to deliver and presented at a New York hospital were ALL tested for COVID and 33% tested positive - and were asymptomatic.

Reported on MSNBC tonight.
Makes me wonder why pregnant women weren't the first group to start staying home. They are usually very much aware of keeping healthy, not taking any drugs, eating well, etc. They all should have been in isolation since early March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 08:35 PM

492 posts, read 406,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Makes me wonder why pregnant women weren't the first group to start staying home. They are usually very much aware of keeping healthy, not taking any drugs, eating well, etc. They all should have been in isolation since early March.
Their partners could have brought it home.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:55 PM

109 posts, read 115,637 times
OK, thanks for the reference. The key variable in their model is the rate of transmission from infected individuals to others. Under the uncontrolled scenario they project that each infected person transmits the disease to as many as 5.7 others. They believe the social distancing policies currently in place have reduced that number to about 1.4. The number has to be below 1.0 for the outbreak to die out.

It does not appear that they are modeling the physical movement of infected individuals geographically. I assumed that relaxation of current social distancing would vastly increase the number of people that come into contact with infected individuals, resulting in rapid escalation of cases to a peak number. There are other models out that attempt to incorporate travel of disease carriers.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:02 AM

23,226 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
A doctor talking on radio about his asthmatic patients said he was struck by how they did not seem to be more susceptible to serious problems with COVID-19. He thought it was because the wheezing in asthma is a condition of the airways TO the lungs rather than the lungs’ air sacs themselves, which is where this virus supposedly likes to settle and harm.
And I've also read that, ironically, smokers are less likely to get it. I have COPD, still smoke, just a half pack a day now, and let's hope there's some truth to this. And if true, perhaps I should up my smoking to a full pack a day!

I do know that fear, panic, fear, stress can be another way of making you more susceptible to getting it as these factors have a way of weakening your immune system.

In my 55+ community, I've run into a number of these panic-stricken types, and I know these people well enough to know that when they start having our monthly potlucks again, and our big holiday bashes, where the Association pays for the food and entertainment, these types will not show up even with a bright green light.

In the past, I've always attended our monthly potlucks, and when/if they ever start them up again, the first one is going to be very, very, very interesting and nothing will surprise me.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:18 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And I've also read that, ironically, smokers are less likely to get it. I have COPD, still smoke, just a half pack a day now, and let's hope there's some truth to this. And if true, perhaps I should up my smoking to a full pack a day!
You and I must be reading and listening to very different people.

“Cigarette smoking causes heart and lung diseases, suppresses the immune system, and increases the risk of respiratory infections,†FDA spokeswoman Alison Hunt said. “People who smoke cigarettes may be at increased risk from Covid-19, and may have worse outcomes from Covid-19.â€

Old 04-17-2020, 06:38 AM

23,226 posts, read 29,066,081 times
I found that info from a thread someone started in Health and Wellness, Not a Good Time to Smoke, the posting is toward the end of the thread. Having COPD, I worry more about just getting the flu or pneumonia, which could do me in, and Covid will do me in just faster.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:44 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I do know that fear, panic, fear, stress can be another way of making you more susceptible to getting it as these factors have a way of weakening your immune system.

In my 55+ community, I've run into a number of these panic-stricken types, and I know these people well enough to know that when they start having our monthly potlucks again, and our big holiday bashes, where the Association pays for the food and entertainment, these types will not show up even with a bright green light.

In the past, I've always attended our monthly potlucks, and when/if they ever start them up again, the first one is going to be very, very, very interesting and nothing will surprise me.

It is possible that that one doctor’s patients simply avoided any high-risk virus situation *because* they feared their asthma could make any infections more severe. You, on the other hand...

Old 04-18-2020, 02:53 PM

16,102 posts, read 10,766,542 times
There is talk pro and con on whether the Covid-19 pandemic will change things from what we formerly considered "normal". I don't know how, yet, but I'm pretty sure that our future normal will be different from our past normal. Most of us are old enough to remember the Tylenol tampering cases in 1982. Now, thanks to that, we have to arm wrestle with packaging just to get something open. Computer hackers and virus creators changed almost everything about using computers and the internet. The 9/11 attacks have made travel and other formerly normal aspects of life more difficult. The pandemic is a big deal. The initial reporting and responses were somewhat slow so there is room for improvement there. We need to have stronger vigilance of health threats. Free movement from place to place helped the virus spread. Hopefully, the responses will be appropriate and not heavy-handed. Meanwhile, we are learning stay-at-home skills -- working from home seems to be a viable thing for many people as long as they have access to their stuff. Online purchases of basic needs and supplies is something we generally didn't do before. Zoom and Skype-types of electronic connections and networking are gaining ground. Some experts think we will be in this mess for another year or more. Government policies will have to be reconsidered at every level. Same way with churches and schools.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:16 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,657,027 times
Here's a fascinating article on the self-inflicted problems at the CDC in designing/manufacturing the Coronavirus tests.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...034_story.html

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 04-18-2020 at 06:26 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 06:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Here's a fascinating article on the self-inflicted problems at the CDC in designing/manufacturing the Coronavirus tests.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...034_story.html
Yeap, everybody here said the CDC is top notch, I knew they made mistakes on multiple fronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement