Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

Yes, Tennessee is in a very tough spot now and in the near future, along with several other states that are slammed.

I ache for the healthcare frontline workers. Whether people "believe" in COVID issues/masks/etc. or not, their disrespect and disregard for the workers is stunning and appalling. My friends who work in Boston hospitals are quite angry and rightly so. Aren't these workers and doctors and all our neighbors and relatives and friends? Why are people ignoring or disputing what they say?

---retired RN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 11:16 AM

529 posts, read 491,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Our local hospital announced yesterday that they have the most COVID-19 patients since the start of this situation.

Article in the newspaper about a local physician who has the virus. He said that at times, it was like he was being tortured by having a belt around his chest being tightened. He is trying to get the message across to people that this is not just like the flu and they need to take it seriously.

The situation a couple of weeks from now is most likely going to be very ugly around here and the rest of Tennessee
I am seeing less and less wearing the masks, including older folks. And the infection rate is getting worse.

I guess the popular perception is with the "low" infection rate according to statistics, that means they are safe.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:27 AM

I think it's magical thinking because there is a vaccine available, in addition to the above. Numbers are up in most states and places.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:55 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
The point I was trying to make is no matter what the facts are, there will always be people who will ignore them.

There was a woman being interviewed about her traveling to see family for Christmas and the person interviewing her asked her if she was aware of the warning against travel at this time. She said oh yes she knew all about it and she just had to see her family and didn't really care what happened.

It's that mentality that seems to be running amok.

I make an effort to stay safe. But there are people out there who don't make an effort and could care less.
They ignore them at their peril here!

People are getting $1,000 fines for breaking the stay at home order that is in place for 5% of Sydney. The Immigration Minister has just threatened to deport temporary visa holders who are flaunting the rules, following a beach party on the weekend.

The silent majority who are following our rules, be they ever changing and complex, are completely fed up with the few who ignore them. Most of the complaints have been that the police have not been tough enough.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:43 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
Two megachurches in my city have been fined $5000 each after photos and videos showed both churches violating orders limiting occupancy, mandating masks, and practicing social distancing. The photos and videos showed Christmas services with packed rooms of hundreds of people, very few masks, and many were singing.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:25 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think it's magical thinking because there is a vaccine available, in addition to the above. Numbers are up in most states and places.
Or it could be that the UK strain has been here for a while.

Just now detected in CO in a 22 year old that has no history of travel.

The UK strain is not more lethal but much more highly contagious.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:45 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Our area has rising cases while at the same time, testing has gone down considerably. Kind of makes you wonder just how much worse it really is than what the numbers indicate.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:01 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Our area has rising cases while at the same time, testing has gone down considerably. Kind of makes you wonder just how much worse it really is than what the numbers indicate.
Yeah, your test positivity is around 22%, you obviously have more cases than are being reported.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-29-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Or it could be that the UK strain has been here for a while.

Just now detected in CO in a 22 year old that has no history of travel.

The UK strain is not more lethal but much more highly contagious.

Yes, I'm sure it's all over now. The attempts by closing airline flights or whatever seemed pointless from the first day of it. Not gonna stop this new mutated version from spreading in the communities, especially if more infectious than previously.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:54 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
What exactly does “more contagious “ mean?
Are there MORE viral particles per capita?
Does this new mutation stay alive on surfaces?
Is it a stronger version that escapes sterilizing attempts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement