Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I lucked out when my son knew a nurse at a hospital in another county where they had an excess of doses of the vaccine and were allowing anyone, of any age, to get an appointment. My whole family, including my 35 year old son and his 27 year old gf, has had the first round of inoculations. We all have appointments for our second shot in 3 weeks and then we're done. Keep asking around to see if you can find something like this. Vaccines only last a month or so, if they aren't used they are thrown out. Some hospitals are smart enough to give out those vaccines before they expire.
Same here, a friend sent me a link to the local hospital and said try this. I clicked and there was the appointment calendar. We have appointments and confirmations for 1/20/21. None of this was made public that I could find. “Those in the know”

Last edited by Southern man; 01-17-2021 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:50 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
So a friend posted on FB a pic of her young grandchildren with caption over them “we just got vaccinated!” Since when are children in the current groups to get immunized?

Old 01-17-2021, 09:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So a friend posted on FB a pic of her young grandchildren with caption over them “we just got vaccinated!” Since when are children in the current groups to get immunized?
In NJ?

Old 01-17-2021, 09:54 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
It's turned into a free for all. They went for shots and were not turned away. Maybe they said they had chronic conditions ? That's part of phase 1B and you don't have to prove it.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:54 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but, I think it is rude of her to post this. With that said, I am not a fan of FB.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:59 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Same here, a friend sent me a link to the local hospital and said try this. I clicked and there was the appointment calendar. We have appointments and confirmations for 1/20/21. None of this was made public that I could find. “Those in the know”
I did something similar. Both my wife and I are now innoculated.

Both of us have had very little in the way of side effects. My nose has been more runny the last few days, but I'm not ever sure its related to the vaccine. The same is true for a couple of minor headaches that I didn't even judge severe enough to take a tylenol for. My wife had a sore arm that lasted for several days. My arm was barely sore at all.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I still am . I got skinny arms !
Well to ease your concerns as one who has gotten my first shot it doesn't hurt. In fact I didn't even feel it. Turn your head and you won't even know they gave it to you. I always felt a pinch with the flu and pneumonia shot as well as a warmth when it was released into the arm but I felt absolutely nothing with this shot. The next day my arm was slightly sore, mostly when lightly rubbing it. By the second day absolutely no soreness. I again felt more after a flu shot where my arm was sore for about a week.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:04 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Well to ease your concerns as one who has gotten my first shot it doesn't hurt. In fact I didn't even feel it. Turn your head and you won't even know they gave it to you. I always felt a pinch with the flu and pneumonia shot as well as a warmth when it was released into the arm but I felt absolutely nothing with this shot. The next day my arm was slightly sore, mostly when lightly rubbing it. By the second day absolutely no soreness. I again felt more after a flu shot where my arm was sore for about a week.
I'm in the last group so my turn won't come up until fall 2021.
I don't have any "ins" with medical people to get in the front of the line.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
The My Chart thing does work in my state, as of a few days ago. Problem is my appointment isn't until Feb 25 and dh's isn't until March 10. That's for the FIRST shot. Then we still have to wait a month for the second shot, assuming there's enough vaccine.

We are both over age 75 but his health has been poor this past year so I wish he could get the vaccine sooner.

(First thing I want to do is go to a museum. Then I want to walk on a beach.)

Old 01-17-2021, 03:16 PM

187 posts, read 113,299 times
Sometimes I am so naive and think that people will do the right thing when it comes down to it. I just heard of a case where a couple in their early 60's are doing everything BUT the right thing regarding Covid-19.

This couple traveled 1,000 miles to be with family for Christmas, a large family who were recovering from Covid. Within a few days, the husband came down with Covid. At one point, he couldn't breathe well and went to the hospital. He didn't need to be hospitalized overnight but was lucky to be able to go back to the home of the family where he was staying.

Within a day after getting a positive Covid diagnosis and help from the hospital, he decided that since he felt well enough to drive, he and his wife would make the return trip to their home 1,000 miles away. No quarantine for them! The hospital where he was diagnosed called him while they were on their way home, and he basically told them to leave him alone. Although not feeling well, he was able to drive to their home but not before stopping to eat inside at restaurants along the way.

As soon as they were home, the wife began going out for coffee as usual every day. She has not tested positive yet and apparently has no symptoms. Neither thought they should be forced to stay home just because he got this little positive Covid-19 diagnosis. They say that because they wear a mask, something their state has mandated from the beginning, they are free to go about their merry way.

I guess the moral of the story is that there are some incredibly selfish people out there. This couple only thought about their needs and wants and to heck with anyone unfortunate enough to encounter them. The sad thing is, I'm sure there are many like them out there. Don't let your guard down, because you might just find yourself sitting next to them at IHOP or Denny's.

One more thing, they are anti-vaccine. The woman tried to talk an elderly family member of mine out of getting the vaccine. Fortunately, my family member has common sense and said she was getting it as soon as available. Oh, and the man still can't imagine where he picked up Covid and blames it on an anonymous person he must have encountered on the original trip to see family. In his small mind, it couldn't have been circulating in the very recent Covid-infected home he just barged into.

If you haven't become too bored reading this account, can you tell how disgusted I am by these two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement