Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 08:52 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
You may have caught the new highly contagious variant. And that variant may now be transferred more easily on surfaces, dishes, napkins, food, air, whatever from the restaurant staff or workers or former customers.....
Many Thanks to you and others here keeping us updated on what you’ve learned.
Virologist (retired) here again.

Please, please. Surfaces? Napkins? Even the CDC finally agrees that surfaces are not a significant factor in transmission.

Please limit your speculation to things that are realistically possible, and not invent new science. We have enough uncertainty right now, with rising infection levels and clumsy vaccine rollouts. We don't need more alarming speculation, especially that based on bad science. It's not helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 08:54 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I am 13 days after exposure & 12 days with persistent though mild symptoms & it seems this is the second day in a row with no fever. I'm not going to jump the gun & claim recovery, because I've read too many stories about people in the same position that were feeling almost well after a few weeks & suddenly took a major turn requiring hospitalization.

I still have some coughing & minor congestion and am hoping 2-3 more days of isolation will end it. Fingers crossed. I'm very thankful that my symptoms have been low-grade.

I've been using Instacart as well, a lifesaver, well worth the $10/mo fee for one month.
Good news and continue progressing and getting better.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Also, the morning the new week's sales come out, chicken and other high demand things are "sold out". Not even possible for these things to be sold out by 7:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Plenty of non sale chicken available but the good priced items are always gone. This happens every time. If you go into the store these sale items are available.
While not a factor for us I very much realize that sale items especially meats being unavailable is a serious issue for many people. Food affordability is a serious problem for many.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Well, I am just so put out. So far so good on avoiding the virus, which seems to be all around me. But yesterday at mass, I noticed that more and more people are just not wearing a mask, or social distancing. I mean, I have to wonder WHY at this point, with cases and deaths both growing so much. It's really irritating.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I went out! and picked up two extremely yummy chicken pot pies served in popovers. The place had a lot of young people waiting to get in and every single one of them had a mask. I did notice an old guy going up the steps of a nearby Starbucks without a mask but he stopped before entering and added the mask.

No one would be allowed in a store of any kind or a restaurant without a mask---it's helping to keep our numbers lower, for which I am very grateful.

And the vaccine will be going into phase 1b starting in a few days for signup. So, besides getting my stimulus check today, it was a pretty good day. For once.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:18 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Virologist (retired) here again.

Please, please. Surfaces? Napkins? Even the CDC finally agrees that surfaces are not a significant factor in transmission.

Please limit your speculation to things that are realistically possible, and not invent new science. We have enough uncertainty right now, with rising infection levels and clumsy vaccine rollouts. We don't need more alarming speculation, especially that based on bad science. It's not helpful.
Sorry I offended you Mr. BIG important retired virologist. How did I invent new science?
But please show us your PROOF that the NEW highly contagious variant can not survive on some surfaces.....
Why are we even washing our hands then if it doesn’t stick to SOME surfaces???
Why does the CDC tell us to not touch the front of our worn masks if it doesn’t stick to some surfaces??

The truth is we just don’t know enough yet about this virus, and I believe it’s much better to err on the side of caution for yourself and the protect of others....

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-11-2021 at 06:26 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 06:28 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Sorry I offended you Mr. BIG important retired virologist. How did I invent new science?
But please show us your PROOF that the NEW highly contagious variant can not survive on some surfaces.....
Why are we even washing our hands then if it doesn’t stick to SOME surfaces???
Why does the CDC tell us to not touch the front of our worn masks if it doesn’t stick to some surfaces??

The truth is we just don’t know enough yet about this virus, and I believe it’s much better to err on the side of caution for yourself and the protect of others....
You cannot prove a negative.

You need to provide a source saying the new variant survives longer on surfaces.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:27 AM

8,369 posts, read 4,377,807 times
States should allow general public to register on standby for vaccine locations near their home, so people on standby list can receive leftover doses of vaccine every evening after the vaccine is distributed to all members of the priority group who wanted to get vaccinated. It is insane that vaccinators are throwing away leftover vaccine vials every day, just because they did not manage to recruit enough priority people who want to get vaccinated.

Either that, or abolish the priority system, and simply have everyone register for vaccination online, assign numbers in order of registration, and notify people one day in advance where and when to show up to get vaccinated. This would be the most efficient way to vaccinate most people in the shortest time - the only thing that will stop the epidemic.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:54 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
States should allow general public to register on standby for vaccine locations near their home, so people on standby list can receive leftover doses of vaccine every evening after the vaccine is distributed to all members of the priority group who wanted to get vaccinated. It is insane that vaccinators are throwing away leftover vaccine vials every day, just because they did not manage to recruit enough priority people who want to get vaccinated.

Either that, or abolish the priority system, and simply have everyone register for vaccination online, assign numbers in order of registration, and notify people one day in advance where and when to show up to get vaccinated. This would be the most efficient way to vaccinate most people in the shortest time - the only thing that will stop the epidemic.
I guess it depends where you are. Here in SC there are more people signed up than doses available.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/01/11/...ses-available/
As of Monday evening, DHEC had received 147,200 total doses of Pfizer’s vaccine, for the purposes of administering both first and second doses of vaccine. Only 60,458 doses remain, but nearly 97,000 appointments have been made in the state.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:25 AM

8,369 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I guess it depends where you are. Here in SC there are more people signed up than doses available.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/01/11/...ses-available/
As of Monday evening, DHEC had received 147,200 total doses of Pfizer’s vaccine, for the purposes of administering both first and second doses of vaccine. Only 60,458 doses remain, but nearly 97,000 appointments have been made in the state.

It has been reported as happening last week in Massachusetts, vaccine being discarded due to insufficient number of priority takers showing up for vaccination. Meanwhile, I would have gladly dug a vial out of trash and injected myself :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement