Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2021, 08:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,613,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At least around here they don't test for getting over it. They feel like if it's been 10+ days since you are positive than you can no longer spread.
Plus you will still test positive for about 3 weeks after despite not being contagious according to the materials I've read. The cessessation of the fever for several days seems to be the end of the bout if no other symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 08:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not really sure 100% ......just no way of knowing...... three of us had a indoor lunch ..all of us had symptoms in two days and none of us know anyone with covid we could have gotten it from
My son's fiancé has no idea how she got it, she works from home (as does my son) they go almost everywhere together but she caught it and he didn't. She told my son she couldn't taste anything, then she developed a cough, she kept getting worse and went to the ER but they didn't admit her, they kept her overnight and sent her home with oxygen and an IV. Once she developed symptoms she went to stay in her condo until she recovered but it was 2 weeks after that before she tested negative. Weird virus, huh?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:20 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Looks like Johnson & Johnson's single-dose vaccine is next up, but don't expect it this month or next.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/h...n-johnson.html

Old 01-13-2021, 08:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,613,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you have covid you may not want to get a vaccine right away.

https://abc7ny.com/health/covid-live...covid/9432336/

Dr. Anthony Fauci said people who had COVID-19 should wait 90 days after infection before they get vaccinated.

The comments are contrast to the widespread public health guidance that even people who have had the virus should get the vaccine whenever it's available to them.

Dr. Fauci says he believes waiting the 90 days would prevent interference between natural antibodies and the vaccine.
Thanks for that.

From CDC.GOV

COVID-19 vaccination should be offered to you regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection. You should not be required to have an antibody test before you are vaccinated.

However, anyone currently infected with COVID-19 should wait to get vaccinated until after their illness has resolved and after they have met the criteria to discontinue isolation.

Additionally, current evidence suggests that reinfection with the virus that causes COVID-19 is uncommon in the 90 days after initial infection. Therefore, people with a recent infection may delay vaccination until the end of that 90-day period if desired.

See the issue here is that what Fauci said one day & what is said on the official vaccination info CDC page differs or at least isn't clear in its distinction between "may delay if desired" & causing "interference" with antibodies. But it does mean that my personal need for a vaccine can wait a bit since I'm immune for 90 days & don't want to mess up any natural resistance.

But I have been putting off an important trip all last year & I'm getting older & don't want this to drag on for most of this year as well if I can help it. I assume I will need a vaccine "visa" so will have to get the shots & I would want to hit the road by summer.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:02 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Thanks for that.

From CDC.GOV

COVID-19 vaccination should be offered to you regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection. You should not be required to have an antibody test before you are vaccinated.

However, anyone currently infected with COVID-19 should wait to get vaccinated until after their illness has resolved and after they have met the criteria to discontinue isolation.

Additionally, current evidence suggests that reinfection with the virus that causes COVID-19 is uncommon in the 90 days after initial infection. Therefore, people with a recent infection may delay vaccination until the end of that 90-day period if desired.

See the issue here is that what Fauci said one day & what is said on the official vaccination info CDC page differs or at least isn't clear in its distinction between "may delay if desired" & causing "interference" with antibodies. But it does mean that my personal need for a vaccine can wait a bit since I'm immune for 90 days & don't want to mess up any natural resistance.

But I have been putting off an important trip all last year & I'm getting older & don't want this to drag on for most of this year as well if I can help it. I assume I will need a vaccine "visa" so will have to get the shots & I would want to hit the road by summer.
One of the "features" of our minimal testing approach to this virus is that there's a lot we still don't know.

- How long do the infected shed live virus (as opposed to fragments detected by PCR)? We don't really know. Testing for live virus is expensive since it needs a specialized lab with trained personnel.

- How long does immunity last after infection? We don't know, since we don't do much immunological follow-up.

Fauci's comments were most certainly mis-spoken or mis-interpreted, but it's no wonder that CDC and Fauci don't agree. Would you rather have advice from a committee with lots of social scientists involved, or a pure scientist? Regardless, the issue of vaccination after infection is complex, with, again, much we don't know because it hasn't been tested. However, Fauci spoke on pretty solid theoretical grounds. And, keep in mind that the vaccines don't have anything that the virus doesn't. So all the antigen that the vaccine presents to the immune system have already been presented to the immune system by the virus, if you were infected.

Remember that duration of immunity post vaccination or infection is a big unknown. Also remember that a vaccination post infection can't hurt, except for some pretty big side effects, because your immune system is already primed.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:12 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,657,027 times
Tourists Flocking to Florida to Get the Vaccine

Quote:
Some of the arrivals are Americans or foreigners who own second homes in the state and reside here part-time. Others are making short-term visits, seizing the opportunity provided by Florida’s decision to make the vaccine available to people age 65 and older, including nonresidents.

Interest is up sharply from Canadians who are looking to travel to the U.S. for vaccinations, according to Momentum Jets, a private jet service provider in Toronto.

“We’re getting requests now from clients that are willing to fly into Florida, if they have an appointment, and then fly home again on the same day,” said Janelle Brind, a company vice president. Costs for a charter flight range from $25,000 to $80,000 for a same-day round trip, she said...“And they’re telling all their friends.”

Ana Rosenfeld, a 66-year-old lawyer in Buenos Aires, took advantage of a trip to visit her daughter and new grandson in Miami to get a vaccination. At a vaccination site in Tampa, she said she provided her passport as identification and proof of travel health insurance.
and

Quote:
Yanina Latorre, a TV personality who competed in Argentina’s version of “Dancing with the Stars,” recently posted to her 1.5 million followers on Instagram how two fans helped her get a vaccine for her 80-year-old mother at Miami Gardens’s Hard Rock Stadium during their family vacation.

“We are vaccinating Mom,” she shouts with joy as a medical technician plunges a needle into her mother’s arm. “I feel like crying!”

Old 01-14-2021, 07:44 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you have covid you may not want to get a vaccine right away.

https://abc7ny.com/health/covid-live...covid/9432336/

Dr. Anthony Fauci said people who had COVID-19 should wait 90 days after infection before they get vaccinated.

The comments are contrast to the widespread public health guidance that even people who have had the virus should get the vaccine whenever it's available to them.

Dr. Fauci says he believes waiting the 90 days would prevent interference between natural antibodies and the vaccine.
My niece is a nurse who had Covid, she was told by her hospital/employer she had to wait 90 days for the vaccine.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:26 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Actually they were quarantining for 10 days and were headed to doctor's appointments, grocery store, etc. on Day 11 which was the last day Nita posted. There has been some debate on whether a quarantine should be 10 or 14 days and when the timeline starts. Perhaps others who are more knowledgeable of quarantine requirements can comment.
It's kind of weird. My daughter's boyfriend got a call that eight people in his former kitchen (he's a chef who had just changed jobs) had tested positive and that he should get tested. He had mild symptoms (lost of smell/taste, runny nose, some fatigue). He tested positive and was told to quarantine for ten days. Meanwhile, because HE tested positive, my daughter got tested and was told to quarantine for FOURTEEN days. Her test was negative, as was the test at the end of her quarantine. I don't get the logic with him having to quarantine for ten and she for 14 when he was sick and she wasn't. That was New York (Long Island).

I had to quarantine for fourteen days when I entered Canada in November, so that's the standard for them. I don't know if the quarantine periods are set by state (or country) or what.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:38 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's kind of weird. My daughter's boyfriend got a call that eight people in his former kitchen (he's a chef who had just changed jobs) had tested positive and that he should get tested. He had mild symptoms (lost of smell/taste, runny nose, some fatigue). He tested positive and was told to quarantine for ten days. Meanwhile, because HE tested positive, my daughter got tested and was told to quarantine for FOURTEEN days. Her test was negative, as was the test at the end of her quarantine. I don't get the logic with him having to quarantine for ten and she for 14 when he was sick and she wasn't. That was New York (Long Island).

I had to quarantine for fourteen days when I entered Canada in November, so that's the standard for them. I don't know if the quarantine periods are set by state (or country) or what.
Not a comment on the logic, but the guidelines are in MT are (based on CDC guidelines): with symptoms, not hospitalized, 10 day quarantine from onset of symptoms. Without symptoms, but exposure or positive test, 14 day quarantine from exposure or positive test. With symptoms and hospitalized, 20 day quarantine from onset of symptoms.

In my case, I was symptomatic on the 23rd of Dec, but hospitalized the 2-3 Jan. County health required quarantine until 13 Jan for me. My wife (symptoms starting on the 25 Dec, but not tested), was required to quarantine until 5 Jan.

We are both staying in quarantine longer, because we are not convinced we are completely through the virus, but from a County health standpoint, we are no longer active cases, or a risk to others...

Old 01-15-2021, 04:49 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It sort of makes sense. Isolation is the term applied to the infected person (boyfriend) to keep them away from others. Isolation requires that you stay home or isolate for 10 days after symptoms.

Quarantine is the term applied to a person who might have been exposed/infected (your daughter) to quarantine for 14 days after contact. The 14 days would include time to develop any symptoms and for 10 days after symptoms so it is consistent with the Isolation timeline. Your daughter's boyfriend was already infected for a few days before he developed symptoms and then had to isolate for an additional 10 days.

A 14 day quarantine is the gold standard recommended by the CDC. But around December, the CDC provided guidance that an acceptable alternative "based on local circumstances and resources" is 10 days if no symptoms have been reported during daily monitoring which is probably why Nita used 10 days.

My state has a 14 day travel quarantine mandate although it is rarely enforced. Initially the mandate was only for air travel into the state although it was recommended for all travel. I went on a road trip out of state in early September (to National Parks, outdoors) and quarantined for 11 days on my return. Stocked up on food before I left and bought a few perishables before I got back but was eating canned fruit and vegetables by the end. Found out later that you did not have to quarantine if you tested negative although was difficult to get tested at the time. Then the quarantine became a mandate for any out of state travel and you could not test out so I, being a good citizen, managed to quarantine for 14 days after an October road trip. Ten days would have been much easier. Now that the virus is so widespread, no more travel for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement