Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 05:17 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

Advertisements

There will be four days of vaccine shots given at my county for 1A and 1B groups. There are no appointments and it is walk up or drive up. I foresee long lines being on the news. I have no intention of waiting in hour(s) long lines for the shot. I am 1C and hopefully they will get the kinks worked out. While checking on my prescriptions at CVS it popped up with a "schedule your vaccine shot" link. I checked it and it had no info except for no vaccines are available. So maybe CVS is gearing up to do appointments and shots (I hope so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 05:18 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Was just reading yesterday, this surgeon says x-rays of lungs from people who have had Covid are worse than smoker's lungs, even in people who were asymptomatic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-l...smokers-lungs/

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...rgeon-say.html

Old 01-15-2021, 12:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
My neighbor on the left of me got her appointment at last. End of February. She is 1b (over 75). My neighbor on the right is afraid to make an appointment because she's read about how sick you can get after the second shot. People are worried about what to do when they are 75+ and live alone and get sick for a couple of days.

I said I guess we need a nurse to run around to all the apartments checking on people! Seriously though, they are not making it easy on the 75+ people. You have to sign up online and some people have macular degeneration or glaucoma. And then there are people in their late 80s and early 90s who can't even use a computer. There is a phone number but it's always busy. (Just venting.)

Old 01-15-2021, 02:30 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Friday 01/15/2021. There is no Pfizer's reserves the Trump's administration said there would be, thus Pfizer's second shot may be in jeopardy since the states are accelerating vaccinations. What a mess the new administration will inherit. I was counting on the B group (70+) to take place by the end of the month....the sooner the transition teams take over, can't be too soon.

reported by Evan Bush, SeatteTimes: (https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ccine-reserve/)
Quote:
After learning that the federal vaccine reserve is apparently barren and won’t provide a boost of doses to states, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee accused the Trump administration of deception.

“Governors were told repeatedly by [the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)] there was a strategic reserve of vaccines, and this week, the American people were told it’d be released to increase supply of vaccine,†Inslee wrote on Twitter. “It appears now that no reserve exists. The Trump admin. must answer immediately for this deception.â€

Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., also wrote on Twitter about the federal government’s “utter failure†and said she was ready to work with President-elect Joe Biden’s administration to get “back on track.â€

The sharp criticism fits a pattern: The vaccine rollout has been marked by communication breakdowns between federal officials and those in Washington, among other states, and has led to disappointment and finger-pointing from those in government.

Inslee last week joined governors in eight other states to write to the federal leaders of the vaccine distribution effort, demanding that the U.S. government immediately distribute any doses held in reserve.

Last edited by leastprime; 01-15-2021 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 02:36 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Apparently the Pfizer's Reserves for the 2nd shot, is non-existent. Which means that the release of the 'reserves' that Biden team wanted to use for the B group, is up in flames. AND that the second shot that people who got the 1st Pfizer will be be in jeopardy. What a mess the new adminstration will inherit. I was counting on the B group (70+) to take place by the end of the month....the sooner the transition team takes over , can't be too soon.
Yes, it may be a big problem. All the reserves have already been released under the current admin. I know Pfizer cut the quantity to be delivered to the EU. They are going through a set up to increase the productivity in March, but it is slowing it down NOW.

I really think getting our own vaccine production going is super important. Both Pfizer and Moderna have offered to assist.

But that will take a minute or two.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-15-2021, 03:29 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Friday 01/15/2021. There is no Pfizer's reserves the Trump's administration said there would be, thus Pfizer's second shot may be in jeopardy since the states are accelerating vaccinations. What a mess the new administration will inherit. I was counting on the B group (70+) to take place by the end of the month....the sooner the transition teams take over, can't be too soon.
Manufacturing, especially for something as critical as a vaccine, is a highly reproducible, predictable activity. That means the manufacturers can be very confident regarding the amount they'll deliver next week, the week after, the month after and such.

The plan now is to use future vaccine shipments for second round vaccinations. That makes perfect sense, and should have been done from the beginning, like most other countries have done. And not like UK, which is delaying 2nd round to get in more first round jabs.

So only the alarmists, the same folks that said last summer "vaccines may not work" and "infections may not give long immunity" (or the worst, the ones that said "you can get covid from toilet spray...") have something to talk about.

But heck, the alarmists have gotten lots of clicks for their websites, so lots of ad dollars. Since they're not held to any standard of accuracy, what's not to like?

Old 01-15-2021, 03:55 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Manufacturing, especially for something as critical as a vaccine, is a highly reproducible, predictable activity. That means the manufacturers can be very confident regarding the amount they'll deliver next week, the week after, the month after and such.

The plan now is to use future vaccine shipments for second round vaccinations. That makes perfect sense, and should have been done from the beginning, like most other countries have done. And not like UK, which is delaying 2nd round to get in more first round jabs.

So only the alarmists, the same folks that said last summer "vaccines may not work" and "infections may not give long immunity" (or the worst, the ones that said "you can get covid from toilet spray...") have something to talk about.

But heck, the alarmists have gotten lots of clicks for their websites, so lots of ad dollars. Since they're not held to any standard of accuracy, what's not to like?
I couldn't agree more. The doom and gloomers will continue their negativity no matter what.

There doesn't seem to be any lack of vaccine in CA. Half the vaccines in Los Angeles county have not been used yet because people are backing out of getting it. They are now suggesting people be put on a waiting list only so if someone doesn't show, they can call the next person to come in and get it.

As I previously mentioned, CA is now opening up to everyone 65 and over. That means about 7 million vaccinations in that age group alone in one state.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
As I previously mentioned, CA is now opening up to everyone 65 and over. That means about 7 million vaccinations in that age group alone in one state.
I guess I'd better check out our CA county. I do not want to go back there, especially now, but it couldn't hurt to see what's going on.

ETA: From the information provided, it seems I might be able to get the vaccine at either Stanford or Sutter Health. I am a patient at both clinics. I just tried logging into the Sutter Health vaccine portal and around and around goes the twirly icon... where it stops, nobody knows...

But thanks for the heads-up, Marino. Appreciate it.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:45 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My niece is a nurse who had Covid, she was told by her hospital/employer she had to wait 90 days for the vaccine.
That’s largely to free up doses for people who have no immunity via natural infection.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:45 PM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Not a comment on the logic, but the guidelines are in MT are (based on CDC guidelines): with symptoms, not hospitalized, 10 day quarantine from onset of symptoms. Without symptoms, but exposure or positive test, 14 day quarantine from exposure or positive test. With symptoms and hospitalized, 20 day quarantine from onset of symptoms.

In my case, I was symptomatic on the 23rd of Dec, but hospitalized the 2-3 Jan. County health required quarantine until 13 Jan for me. My wife (symptoms starting on the 25 Dec, but not tested), was required to quarantine until 5 Jan.

We are both staying in quarantine longer, because we are not convinced we are completely through the virus, but from a County health standpoint, we are no longer active cases, or a risk to others...
Thanks for posting the factual info, and my best wishes for a complete recovery for you and your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement