Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2021, 06:19 PM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Meanwhile, watching the politicians masking as advisory committee members at the CDC and FDA has been a real hoot.

I wonder if we'll ever get some serious scientific expertise on each panel, not the pediatric social scientists that staff both panels? It's no wonder that Fauci and the panels disagree so much. One is a scientist that understands in depth virology and immunology. The panelists' expertise is the social factors that influence disease transmission. Just look up what goes into the training for an MPH or Infectious Disease specialty if you doubt me.

A piece of encouraging news: I saw one brief and vague notice yesterday, but it has been all over the news media today, that the FDA advisory panel will meet tomorrow (Thurs) to consider among other topics lowering the cutoff age for boosters (in healthy population) down to 40, based upon the data from Israel (which data they have in fact had for a couple of months already - why are they taking them into account only now?). It appears that vaccinating kids 5-11 will be prioritized, with boosters for 40+ being authorized to be given starting sometime later in Nov. As I am a healthy 61.5 year old, who has been traveling quite a bit in the US (and I'd like to remain healthy & traveling, but am 6 months out of full vaccination just about now), I hope I still have enough immunity til I can legitimately get the booster...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 03:41 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
We in Sydney and NSW have made it to 92.5% first dose, 82.3% double dose in 16+ population and a week earlier than predicted. So a second Freedom Day happened on Monday. Kindies, Year 1 and 12 got back to school with the rest to follow next Monday. Parents say that will be their proper Freedom Day but today the state government announced $250 “rewards” for all families as a thank you for home schooling.

We who are retired and had been living the life of our grandparents since June are so busy making up for lost time that we are getting exhausted. So much to do, so many places to go and finally so many plans to make. I had forgotten how a couple of hours in a Westfield mall makes my knees ache! And that finishing off that bottle of wine in our favourite Italian restaurant affects my balance. Just slightly.

Melbourne and the state of Victoria follow us out of lockdown tonight, even though they are having about 2,000 cases a day. The rest of the country remain Covid free and do not want much to do with us at this stage.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:00 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We in Sydney and NSW have made it to 92.5% first dose, 82.3% double dose in 16+ population and a week earlier than predicted. So a second Freedom Day happened on Monday. Kindies, Year 1 and 12 got back to school with the rest to follow next Monday. Parents say that will be their proper Freedom Day but today the state government announced $250 “rewards” for all families as a thank you for home schooling.

We who are retired and had been living the life of our grandparents since June are so busy making up for lost time that we are getting exhausted. So much to do, so many places to go and finally so many plans to make. I had forgotten how a couple of hours in a Westfield mall makes my knees ache! And that finishing off that bottle of wine in our favourite Italian restaurant affects my balance. Just slightly.

Melbourne and the state of Victoria follow us out of lockdown tonight, even though they are having about 2,000 cases a day. The rest of the country remain Covid free and do not want much to do with us at this stage.

Congratulations! At certain point, though, the lockdowns will have to end everywhere - the vaccine has been developed with record speed, whoever wants to be vaccinated has been vaccinated in the majority of the globally majorly interconnected countries, whoever wants to be boosted will hopefully be boosted in the upcoming months, and after that it is what it is. Nothing else can be done, and the world will have to go back to normal (with the permanent awareness of some degree of risk), or... what? We would have to completely reformat the entire human society, and end the life as we know it, living at home with physical contact with the world only for essential activities. Hotels and restaurants would stop existing, leisure travel would be possible only to vacation homes, all entertainment would be online, and all forms of work that could be performed remotely would move to work-from-home format, homeschooling or online schools would become the norm, people would find romantic partners exclusively online, religious worship would move online. Not a fun world, and things will go in that direction to some extent anyway after this pandemic, but hopefully not completely.

Old 10-21-2021, 02:38 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
A piece of encouraging news: I saw one brief and vague notice yesterday, but it has been all over the news media today, that the FDA advisory panel will meet tomorrow (Thurs) to consider among other topics lowering the cutoff age for boosters (in healthy population) down to 40, based upon the data from Israel (which data they have in fact had for a couple of months already - why are they taking them into account only now?). It appears that vaccinating kids 5-11 will be prioritized, with boosters for 40+ being authorized to be given starting sometime later in Nov. As I am a healthy 61.5 year old, who has been traveling quite a bit in the US (and I'd like to remain healthy & traveling, but am 6 months out of full vaccination just about now), I hope I still have enough immunity til I can legitimately get the booster...
I heard this also. I am 57 years old. I think it's ridiculous that they did the cutoff at 65. As one TV doctor was saying last night, there have been plenty of deaths in the 40-65 age group that it should have been done sooner.

I had my booster today at a mass vaccination site. No questions asked. If they had, my legitimate reason would have been "occupational setting." My employer has started a return to office and I work in a cubicle farm and we get about 3,000 people in per day. I'm in a crowd often and I'm not comfortable with that. I haven't skipped indoor dining for 18 months just so I could sit in a crowd of people at work and get sick.

Old 10-21-2021, 02:52 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
This is one time where if you're in your early 60s and look older than you are, it works in your favor.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:00 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I heard this also. I am 57 years old. I think it's ridiculous that they did the cutoff at 65. As one TV doctor was saying last night, there have been plenty of deaths in the 40-65 age group that it should have been done sooner.

I had my booster today at a mass vaccination site. No questions asked. If they had, my legitimate reason would have been "occupational setting." My employer has started a return to office and I work in a cubicle farm and we get about 3,000 people in per day. I'm in a crowd often and I'm not comfortable with that. I haven't skipped indoor dining for 18 months just so I could sit in a crowd of people at work and get sick.
Woo-hoo, good for you, Christine!

Neither the CDC nor the FDA has our best interests at heart.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:49 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,225 times
The acceptance of the vaccine and the booster shots is so low, it's unlikely that there will be any shortages or difficulty to get either. Certainly, that is the pattern being seen. I'll get my booster next month.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:34 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
As soon as the Moderna half-dose is available, I'm going to make my appointment.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:06 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
As soon as the Moderna half-dose is available, I'm going to make my appointment.
My mother got her appointment for this today. She's going at 4:00. Once the approval was given our mass vaccination site was ON IT!!

Old 10-22-2021, 02:14 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My mother got her appointment for this today. She's going at 4:00. Once the approval was given our mass vaccination site was ON IT!!
Awesome!

I guess the CDC director signed the paperwork, as that was the last step to be done.

ETA: nope not available yet at my pharmacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement