Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 01:36 PM

3,089 posts, read 1,550,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I decided early on to be proactive about COVID and to stay balanced, which has not been easy.

I realized this morning I have not read any of the usual reports by the media about Eastern equine enchephalitis or West Nile disease this summer. Maybe they have gone away this year or aren’t enough of a story to report on.
report when I live about the prevalence of west nile in mosquitoes. not much about EEE or human cases like a couple years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 02:10 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Being healthy, exercise and whole foods certainly won't be a negative, but other factors, that we have no control over, seem to have greater impact.

Such as an increased level CD47 seeming to be a contributing factor to severe covid. While we can't do anything about that, they can develop therapeutics that target such things.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...ty-covid-.html

There have been other things similar they found that seems to make the individual more susceptible to severe covid, but generally speaking, the conversations are above my pay grade, and there is nothing I can do with info anyway.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-26-2021, 09:23 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, if you are apolitical but state that you believe in vaccines, you're apparently automagically transformed into a Democrat!
Wonderful word!

My sister who was on the ventilator with COVID is a conservative. She got sick in March, when she was waiting to be able to get a vaccine. She got it from my brother, who didn't believe he would get COVID if he believed he couldn't get COVID. He's not political whatsoever. I doubt he has ever voted.

He had mild symptoms despite a bad heart. She almost died. I know it sounds crazy, but the virus doesn't actually care about the host's politics.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:54 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times
Random numbers:

Biden won Georgia by 12,000 votes.

24,000 people have died from Covid-19 in Georgia.

Old 09-27-2021, 03:47 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Walmart.com has BinaxNOW Covid-19 testing kits back in stock. $14.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BinaxNOW-...ount/142089281

Old 09-27-2021, 09:42 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
I saw this morning on the national news that new cases are down 18% in the last 2 weeks nationally. Most are now saying we've turned the corner on this latest wave. One of the CEOs (maybe Pfizer) predicts within a few months new cases will be very low, reason being that almost everyone now has already caught it thanks to the Delta variant or been vaccinated and most vaccinated have very mild cases if there is a breakthrough. Other pharma big wigs were saying things will be back to normal by summer of 2022.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:02 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I saw this morning on the national news that new cases are down 18% in the last 2 weeks nationally. Most are now saying we've turned the corner on this latest wave. One of the CEOs (maybe Pfizer) predicts within a few months new cases will be very low, reason being that almost everyone now has already caught it thanks to the Delta variant or been vaccinated and most vaccinated have very mild cases if there is a breakthrough. Other pharma big wigs were saying things will be back to normal by summer of 2022.

In local Boston news, Harvard Business School moving classes back online due to a new covid spike. I assume that vaccine boosters will be approved eventually for international travel, and I would get a booster if it were available for a healthy 61 year old (I guess 62 by the time international travel becomes possible).

Old 09-27-2021, 10:08 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
In local Boston news, Harvard Business School moving classes back online due to a new covid spike. I assume that vaccine boosters will be approved eventually for international travel, and I would get a booster if it were available for a healthy 61 year old (I guess 62 by the time international travel becomes possible).
Localized outbreaks in schools don't really mean very much except one person had it and it spread to others. It happens everywhere.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:26 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Localized outbreaks in schools don't really mean very much except one person had it and it spread to others. It happens everywhere.

Right, one person has it, and spreads it to others, and it happens everywhere. It is called an epidemic (schools are not rare, and students are young active folks who interact with many people inside and outside of their school). On the contrary, an outbreak of something in school has very little chance of staying localized. Vaccines do not reliably prevent transmission of the virus, particularly not delta, as good as they are in preventing critical illness.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:32 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Quote:
A national number is very much like talking about an "average" person. IOW, a national number doesn't fit any specific location.

From the beginning, Covid has been about the local experience. Remember when NYC was ovewhelmed, even had a federal hospital ship parked there "just in case" and the heartland had few cases?

We all hope some point will come where people stop dying, stop getting long covid. How will we get there, though, and when? And where? And for how long will we be one mutation away, of a bug that escapes existing immunity, taking us right back to the beginning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement