Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 12:32 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times

Advertisements

We got our second Moderna boosters yesterday. My wife's arm is a little bit sore; I can't even tell where I was injected on my arm. We have ben lucky that with all our COVID shots we have never had much of any reaction.

Now we are ready for our trip to Alaska next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 12:30 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
recent off-topic posts have been moved to Retirement chat thread.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:25 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I got my first booster last week. My second shot was in April of '21.

Pfizer, like the others. Slight sore arm, like the others.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:41 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
IMHO, it's way past the time where we should re-define "infection" to mean what we now think of as serious infection - where the patient needs oxygen or hospitalization.

Never before in our system has the medical community and indeed, the general public, had such powerful, precise, diagnostic tools like PCR and antibody (lateral flow) tests that allow the quick diagnosis of folks with very mild or no symptoms. If we had these capabilities in the past, I suspect we'd have found flu to be far more common, but with most infections mild or asymptomatic. We're in a different environment technically than we have been in the past, and calling out "infection" where we never would have in the past. (ask yourself if you ever had a true, accurate flu diagnostic?).

We need to accept the fact that repeated, mild or asymptomatic infections are normal and move on. We need to understand that our immune system is complex, multi-stage, and it's not perfect in the way we would like. We're at the point where it's very doubtful that anyone doesn't have some level of immunity to covid 19, either through natural infection or vaccination, as CDC data shows. After all, how could someone unvaxxed have avoided infection at this point?

The press and medical authorities should stop focusing on the number of diagnosed, which is a meaningless number, especially for trends and comparisons. They should refine their reporting of the number hospitalized to distinguish those diagnosed incidentally on hospitalization for something else from those hospitalized for covid. (Note that now, most are the former!). Will this happen? Doubtful.

Agree with all of that. If I am reading the data correctly, in MA there are 25 intubated people with covid right now. Last week, there have been 7 confirmed and 3 probable covid deaths in the state. Seems comparable to incidence of complications of flu during an active flu season.

While I understand the requirement for the negative test the day before flying back in the US (nobody wants a new strain of the virus to be dragged into the country), I won't travel abroad while that requirement exists. If no new strains are emerging by this winter, I am cautiously optimistic that the testing requirement might be abolished by 2023, but have not seen anything specific yet about it anywhere.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
IMHO, it's way past the time where we should re-define "infection" to mean what we now think of as serious infection - where the patient needs oxygen or hospitalization.

Never before in our system has the medical community and indeed, the general public, had such powerful, precise, diagnostic tools like PCR and antibody (lateral flow) tests that allow the quick diagnosis of folks with very mild or no symptoms. If we had these capabilities in the past, I suspect we'd have found flu to be far more common, but with most infections mild or asymptomatic. We're in a different environment technically than we have been in the past, and calling out "infection" where we never would have in the past. (ask yourself if you ever had a true, accurate flu diagnostic?).

We need to accept the fact that repeated, mild or asymptomatic infections are normal and move on. We need to understand that our immune system is complex, multi-stage, and it's not perfect in the way we would like. We're at the point where it's very doubtful that anyone doesn't have some level of immunity to covid 19, either through natural infection or vaccination, as CDC data shows. After all, how could someone unvaxxed have avoided infection at this point?

The press and medical authorities should stop focusing on the number of diagnosed, which is a meaningless number, especially for trends and comparisons. They should refine their reporting of the number hospitalized to distinguish those diagnosed incidentally on hospitalization for something else from those hospitalized for covid. (Note that now, most are the former!). Will this happen? Doubtful.

Agree with all of that. If I am reading the data correctly, in MA there are 25 intubated people with covid right now. Last week, there have been 7 confirmed and 3 probable covid deaths in the state. Seems comparable to incidence of complications of flu during an active flu season.

While I understand the requirement for the negative test the day before flying back in the US (nobody wants a new strain of the virus to be dragged into the country), I won't travel abroad while that requirement exists. If no new strains are emerging by this winter, I am cautiously optimistic that the testing requirement might be abolished by 2023, but have not seen anything specific yet about it anywhere.

I decided against the second booster (ie, the 4th shot) while traveling only domestically. The small additional benefit of it lasts very briefly.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:56 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I'll be 70 in August, my Dad is 93, both vaxxed and double boosted.

he went to Atlanta last weekend (June 3rd), for a Knife show, came home Sunday hoarse and tired, normal. He missed the last 2 years due to Covid, my brother went in his place last year. So they both went. I saw him Sun, Mon, tue. Tuesday he was so sick so I tested him, it was positive. I left after gathering some bill and checkbook, etc. I tested positive on Friday, so it was about 3 days after exposure for him and 3 days after exposure to him. I continued to bring him needed goods and rx's since then, left on shelf near the door to exit to the garage. I called Dr. and he was given antivirall, cough meds. I received only cough meds, my case is mild compared to him.

Today called dr for him again and picked up rx at , in parking lot for antibiotics. I've never heard him so bad and weak.

He lives next door to me, we have 10 acres, he is about 40 yards away. Tomorrow I'm going to mask up and go in the house. I need to see him to really see how he is.

It's frustrating to be so good and safe, using guidelines for 2 1/2 years and get it NOW!!

Old 06-14-2022, 03:39 AM

881 posts, read 766,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post

he went to Atlanta last weekend (June 3rd), for a Knife show, came home Sunday hoarse and tired, normal. He missed the last 2 years due to Covid, my brother went in his place last year. So they both went. I saw him Sun, Mon, tue. Tuesday he was so sick so I tested him, it was positive. I left after gathering some bill and checkbook, etc. I tested positive on Friday, so it was about 3 days after exposure for him and 3 days after exposure to him. I continued to bring him needed goods and rx's since then, left on shelf near the door to exit to the garage. I called Dr. and he was given antivirall, cough meds. I received only cough meds, my case is mild compared to him.

Today called dr for him again and picked up rx at , in parking lot for antibiotics. I've never heard him so bad and weak.

He lives next door to me, we have 10 acres, he is about 40 yards away. Tomorrow I'm going to mask up and go in the house. I need to see him to really see how he is.

It's frustrating to be so good and safe, using guidelines for 2 1/2 years and get it NOW!!
Since you also have it, I’d definitely go inside and check on him. I hope both of you quickly and fully recover.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post

Wow. That is very concerning. And after double booster. But at least nobody is hospitalized. Is your father taking Paxlovid? Hope both of you recover soon.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,170 times
CDC is recommending masking again in Boise, and an outdoor Shakespeare festival was cancelled due to outbreak.

Guess I should go get my 2nd booster now.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:52 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Over here, Covid bubbles along and the country will soon get to a tally of 10,000 deaths. Which actually is relatively low and at least justifies the efforts of all the restrictions and the vaccination campaigns. Qantas today lifted their mask requirements on outward flights to the US and some other countries that no longer require them. I think we have gotten used to having to mask in a few places like hospitals and hardly think about it.

But we are of course in the middle of winter and here in south-east of the country it has been the coldest start to winter for decades. Added to which it looked like we were heading for blackouts last week because of several issues in the power supply. Housing in this country is very badly designed to deal with weather extremes.

So suddenly flu is raging as well as RSV and probably some other viruses which cause, in particular, coughing. This is making the lives of many families miserable as they keep testing the kids for Covid, generally find them negative but naturally cannot send them to school or elsewhere while they are sick. Grandchild was off sick today and apparently about seven out of twenty in his class were off yesterday.

I have two friends and their partners who had dodged Covid all this time and now have it. Both had been travelling interstate so really have no idea where they got it. We are all desperate to get back to normal but life really seems like a roller coaster at this stage of the pandemic. Interest rates going up, staff shortages everywhere, supply chains still disrupted, backlogs of elective surgery in the hospitals. I wonder what the new normal will look like, if we ever find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement