Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 04:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I got thick blood. Without some aspirin, it would be difficult for me to get enough blood for a blood glucose strip.
However, even a 81mg baby aspirin will cause spontaneous bleeding from pores and orifices. Plus acute gout.
So I'm down to 1/4 of baby aspirin 2 times a week. I can clot fairly easily but rather not leave blood trails. I got enough people who want to leach off of me , even the orange guy and that guy who can speak in complete sentences .
YBMY
For this reason, I'm sure that my doctor didn't want to push the aspirin on me. Maybe the risk of bleeding is greater than my risk of DVT or PE post-covid. And I do NOT have thick blood!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 08:22 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Guess I should restart my daily low dose ASA. I haven't taken it for years. It was prescribed when I was diagnosed as having cryofibrinogenemia + Raynaud's. COVID toes? + hands... For the past +/- 15 years.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:54 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Guess I should restart my daily low dose ASA. I haven't taken it for years. It was prescribed when I was diagnosed as having cryofibrinogenemia + Raynaud's. COVID toes? + hands... For the past +/- 15 years.
Sounds good to me, but talk to whoever is following you for cryofibrinogenemia. Blood clotting is one of the most complex biologic mechanisms in the body.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:37 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
There's new guidance out from The US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) regarding low dose aspirin. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/972761

It's gotten to be a bit more complicated, balancing CVD benefit versus bleeding risk.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:49 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
What about something the "thins the blood" like fish oil or turmeric?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What about something the "thins the blood" like fish oil or turmeric?
The evidence from at least one large clinical trial (don't have a reference, dealing from memory) is that fish oil has no benefit. Turmeric? IDK, but I'm doubtful.

The whole field of nutritional supplements is a can of worms, IMHO. Unlike drugs, there are few, if any, standards, so the quality can vary widely, as independent testing has repeatedly shown. At best, evidence of any benefit is anecdotal (which means low or no quality of evidence). Yet the industry survives, even thrives, for the usual reason, political clout (=campaign donations).

Old 06-25-2022, 12:26 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The evidence from at least one large clinical trial (don't have a reference, dealing from memory) is that fish oil has no benefit. Turmeric? IDK, but I'm doubtful.

The whole field of nutritional supplements is a can of worms, IMHO. Unlike drugs, there are few, if any, standards, so the quality can vary widely, as independent testing has repeatedly shown. At best, evidence of any benefit is anecdotal (which means low or no quality of evidence). Yet the industry survives, even thrives, for the usual reason, political clout (=campaign donations).
Too bad, they both thin your blood, that was the only benefit I was considering in this context.

I mean that is a known effect enough that I was warned pre-op not to take fish oil (multiple doctors recommended I take it for medical conditions). Of course I would only recommend that if someone takes ANY supplement that it is USP (or similar certified). To many do not even have the ingredient they advertise.

Ok, alcohol it is! (also thins your blood).

A woman's got to do, what a woman's got to do!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2022, 07:00 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Sounds good to me, but talk to whoever is following you for cryofibrinogenemia. Blood clotting is one of the most complex biologic mechanisms in the body.
I no longer see a rheumy. My overriding concern is developing severe inflammation resulting in a cytokine storm > microclots. Lots of them. Baby aspirin can't hurt.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:52 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
IDK, but keep in mind that for such a broad group, DVT and PE are both rare events. 6x or even 33x a rare event is still a rare event.

Saying that, everyone should be familiar with the signs of a DVT and PE. I had a DVT some years ago, ignored the symptoms for a while, but ultimately sought diagnosis and care. Fortunately, I had no serious outcomes. Turns out subsequent CT scans also showed small, asymptomatic PE. Whew, close call.
I can top that (unfortunately).

I've had multiple DVTs in both legs as well as bilateral PEs. With the bilateral PEs, I was rushed to the hospital when I couldn't breath (big surprise), and had an IVC filter implanted while in the ER to keep any more clots from breaking off and traveling up to my lungs. Even the IVC ended up getting clogged.

I was subsequently diagnosed with a blood disorder (Protein S Deficiency) that made me prone to developing clots and have been on blood thinners (Coumadin, Xarelto) ever since.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I can top that (unfortunately).

I've had multiple DVTs in both legs as well as bilateral PEs. With the bilateral PEs, I was rushed to the hospital when I couldn't breath (big surprise), and had an IVC filter implanted while in the ER to keep any more clots from breaking off and traveling up to my lungs. Even the IVC ended up getting clogged.

I was subsequently diagnosed with a blood disorder (Protein S Deficiency) that made me prone to developing clots and have been on blood thinners (Coumadin, Xarelto) ever since.
After my DVT, I had a full coag workup - no identifiable blood disorders or genetic causes. Physicians also look at whether VTE or DVT is provoked or unprovoked. Surgery, trauma and such are common causes of provoked. Unprovoked, where there's no obvious trigger, cause greater concern and longer term anticoag. Mine was determined to be unprovoked, so they kept me on anticoag. Good thing, because a few years later, a new oncologist determined that my cancer is a rare type that triggers a lot more clotting...

How does this fit into Covid discussion? (Mod take note?) Because Covid adds yet another risk factor for some of us, while at the same time, because we're on anticoags, lowers the risk of that complication. Covid, whether the risk or the actual infection, adds a lot of complications to our care, and makes it even more important that those of us with pre-existing conditions, whether identified as Covid risk factors or not, work carefully with our care teams, listening to them, not Dr. Google. JMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement