Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 02:39 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times

Advertisements

Our FL county is 65% fully vaccinated and 77% with one injection. Positivity is at 7.6% and it was over 20% two weeks ago.

The schools dropped the mask mandate with the rate below 8% and will reinstate it if the positivity rate goes over 10%.

I’m hoping Delta has burned through here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 02:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
FINALLY got scheduled for the booster! Oct 13th is the day, I hope it's a Lucky Thirteen. We had our second Pfizer on March 10th.

Most New England states are doing well so far with about 80% vaccination rates last time I looked. I think CT is around 3rd in the country for vaccinated. Just saw the governor on tv saying we were doing well and that they are not shutting down schools or going remote. So at least there's some good news.

Positivity rate is 1.78% today. https://www.fox61.com/article/news/h...9-c1c5f8818983

I think cases will probably increase somewhat once cold weather arrives and everybody's indoors.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:08 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
FINALLY got scheduled for the booster! Oct 13th is the day, I hope it's a Lucky Thirteen. We had our second Pfizer on March 10th.

Most New England states are doing well so far with about 80% vaccination rates last time I looked. I think CT is around 3rd in the country for vaccinated. Just saw the governor on tv saying we were doing well and that they are not shutting down schools or going remote. So at least there's some good news.

Positivity rate is 1.78% today. https://www.fox61.com/article/news/h...9-c1c5f8818983

I think cases will probably increase somewhat once cold weather arrives and everybody's indoors.
Unfortunately, New Hampshire is the laggard in vaccinations and mask wearing. Worse, there's a big push in state government to ban vaccine or mask wearing requirements. They've already voted in abortion restrictions. We're becoming the Texas of the northeast!

Fortunately, I got my booster last week. Same reaction as 2nd - sore arm for a day.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:10 PM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times
I know one has nothing to do with the other. But after receiving my senior flu shot, I ended up in hospital ER. Originally thought to have had a stroke, brain MRI showed brain is fine, no sign of stroke. But did have (still have) Bell's palsy. I feel very hesitant about getting a booster shot for Covid.

I've had enough of not feeling well!

Old 09-29-2021, 04:33 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I know one has nothing to do with the other. But after receiving my senior flu shot, I ended up in hospital ER. Originally thought to have had a stroke, brain MRI showed brain is fine, no sign of stroke. But did have (still have) Bell's palsy. I feel very hesitant about getting a booster shot for Covid.

I've had enough of not feeling well!
I'm reminded of what a friend was told when it was discovered that she had early stage cancer and was scheduled for chemo. She had commented on how chemo was an assault on the system and painful. The response she got was - cancer is a much bigger assault and a lot more painful.

FWIW, as delta rips through the easy non-vaxxed and the numbers of new cases in them drop as it exhausts the pool of that group, the simultaneous waning effectiveness of the initial vaccine doses will mean an uptick in the percentage figures of those vaccinated being hospitalized - just as the unvaxxed percentage drops. I can guarantee that some in the anti-vax crowd will take this and make outrageous claims. Don't be hoodwinked.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:37 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm reminded of what a friend was told when it was discovered that she had early stage cancer and was scheduled for chemo. She had commented on how chemo was an assault on the system and painful. The response she got was - cancer is a much bigger assault and a lot more painful.

FWIW, as delta rips through the easy non-vaxxed and the numbers of new cases in them drop as it exhausts the pool of that group, the simultaneous waning effectiveness of the initial vaccine doses will mean an uptick in the percentage figures of those vaccinated being hospitalized - just as the unvaxxed percentage drops. I can guarantee that some in the anti-vax crowd will take this and make outrageous claims. Don't be hoodwinked.
I think you've been misled by popular media reports. It is true, as I've mentioned before, that circulating antibodies wane, but other forms of immunity do not. So far, there is little solid evidence that I'm aware of that your risk of severe disease or hospitalization rises with time. Some data from Israel and GB suggest this, but there are confounding factors that make drawing conclusions difficult.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:25 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I think you've been misled by popular media reports. It is true, as I've mentioned before, that circulating antibodies wane, but other forms of immunity do not. So far, there is little solid evidence that I'm aware of that your risk of severe disease or hospitalization rises with time. Some data from Israel and GB suggest this, but there are confounding factors that make drawing conclusions difficult.
It is entirely possible that I am wrong. I do my own extrapolations, and predicting the future is obviously not a certainty. What IS certain, is the wild claims from anti-vaxxers IF it comes to pass as I describe. Again, you know more about virology than any of us. I, however, can be good at seeing how other factors create scenarios and play out politically and in the social arena.

Media, at this point, is about to shift gears to play up the shipping issues and castigate stockpilers. The public attention that draws advertisers can only stand one subject for a few months.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:27 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It is entirely possible that I am wrong. I do my own extrapolations, and predicting the future is obviously not a certainty. What IS certain, is the wild claims from anti-vaxxers IF it comes to pass as I describe. Again, you know more about virology than any of us. I, however, can be good at seeing how other factors create scenarios and play out politically and in the social arena.

Media, at this point, is about to shift gears to play up the shipping issues and castigate stockpilers. The public attention that draws advertisers can only stand one subject for a few months.
Yes I've seen the breadcrumb articles on this.
But lacking is the reporting of 157 container ships off the CA and WA coasts that can't get unloaded.
That number is unprecedented as the normal number is somewhere around 5.

So it's really not the hoarders but the articles alone will be enough to start the stampede for toilet paper again.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Localized outbreaks in schools don't really mean very much except one person had it and it spread to others. It happens everywhere.
What does your statement mean? (and wondering why you post this kind of thing - just random thoughts flowing thru your brain?)

Old 10-01-2021, 03:28 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,311,348 times
We in Sydney are counting down to our 70% double vaxxed rate which will trigger a major reopening. So we are up to 66% today with 88% first jab. Long weekend here but still expected to make that 70% on Tuesday.

Everyone getting excited but today our state premier resigned because of historical corruption charges to do with her previous boyfriend. Overshadowed the federal announcement that international borders are reopening from states with 80% dv rate, from November. Gladys has seen us through the fires and now Covid, so much sadness, though of course not from all.

A friend from Tasmania, which has not had a virus case since a May 2020, emailed her sympathy because of our current outbreak, saying it must be dreadful here. Actually it is just overall somewhat boring. We do finally know someone who has had the virus and despite being in his forties and seemingly fit, he ended up in ICU for four days. Was somewhat sobering talking with him.

But the emails are arriving with dates for the resumption of Hamilton and Come from Away, and our favourite live theatre. Schools are resuming a week early with all teachers to be fully vaxxed.

Looks like we in NSW will be able to fly to London and New York before Brisbane and Perth. Most of us would much prefer to fly to London than Perth anyway. And to New York than to Brisbane. Bring it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement