Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 02:56 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Northern Nevada is 90% full.
Yep. DH has a surgery in about 10 days and I am crossing fingers it doesn't get cancelled.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Retired people here, not having enough to do in our light lockdown, are now avidly following the vaccination rates. We need 70% fully vaxxed in our state for major reopening. We are up to about 58% today with 85% single dose. It seems we have to wait until the Monday after the target, which was expected to be Oct 18th. But now looks like being Oct 11th. So now everyone online is speculating whether there is any chance of Oct 4th.

It really does feel like a horse race! But as far as we know the health dept are still working on the vaxx certificate being linked to the QR codes so may be privately praying that Freedom Day (which we are officially discouraged from so calling it!) is not moved yet another week forward.

To keep us happy in the meantime they have announced today that we may drink alcohol in quite a few parks that are normally alcohol free zones. But only in our allowable socially distanced groups of five vaxxed adults.
Rules which they and everyone knows are entirely unenforceable, and gosh you should have seen the lines of traffic heading to our local beach today!

Old 09-24-2021, 08:11 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Interesting, the local "mega church", a non denominational, huge, multi purpose facility with a lake, hiking/biking trails, multiple services daily, and home to thousands of worshippers, has a form letter on their website that people can download and bring in to the church to have signed asking for a "religious exemption" to the vaccine. A local lawyer was on the news commenting that this is very murky territory, and that the wording of the religious exemption is open to interpretation, and whether or not the exemption has to be honored by any employer who mandates vaccination for its employees.

There is a fine line between a religious exemption, and a political exemption, and putting out a form letter on the church website starts going down that road of political exemption.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Interesting, the local "mega church", a non denominational, huge, multi purpose facility with a lake, hiking/biking trails, multiple services daily, and home to thousands of worshippers, has a form letter on their website that people can download and bring in to the church to have signed asking for a "religious exemption" to the vaccine. A local lawyer was on the news commenting that this is very murky territory, and that the wording of the religious exemption is open to interpretation, and whether or not the exemption has to be honored by any employer who mandates vaccination for its employees.

There is a fine line between a religious exemption, and a political exemption, and putting out a form letter on the church website starts going down that road of political exemption.
The Pope and other leaders have come out saying, no religious exemptions from us, get your vaccine. Just makes me curious what religion these people are following.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:36 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

I think I would call such a business a social club hiding under a not-for-profit banner and a couple of "prayers" for more wealth, rather than a "church" as was recognized by our forefathers.

IIRC, the JWs had a ban on transfusions injected blood products for years, not sure if that is currently followed or if it would even count.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:25 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
Meanwhile, watching the politicians masking as advisory committee members at the CDC and FDA has been a real hoot.

I wonder if we'll ever get some serious scientific expertise on each panel, not the pediatric social scientists that staff both panels? It's no wonder that Fauci and the panels disagree so much. One is a scientist that understands in depth virology and immunology. The panelists' expertise is the social factors that influence disease transmission. Just look up what goes into the training for an MPH or Infectious Disease specialty if you doubt me.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Meanwhile, watching the politicians masking as advisory committee members at the CDC and FDA has been a real hoot.

I wonder if we'll ever get some serious scientific expertise on each panel, not the pediatric social scientists that staff both panels? It's no wonder that Fauci and the panels disagree so much. One is a scientist that understands in depth virology and immunology. The panelists' expertise is the social factors that influence disease transmission. Just look up what goes into the training for an MPH or Infectious Disease specialty if you doubt me.
I think both are important.

The social component has been HUGE in this pandemic. Though I don't think anything would change that at this point.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:08 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

The social component has been HUGE in this pandemic. Though I don't think anything would change that at this point.
Yes, agree. And that's where they should focus, not on vaccine science, which is outside their expertise.

OTOH, early on, they tried to focus on social issues by telling us we didn't need to mask. The real reason was to not divert scarce mask supplies from heath care workers. But did they level with us? No, they tried behavioral manipulation instead. It's one of many reasons that I've tired of their efforts.

These are also the same folks that wanted to prioritize various vulnerable groups such as front line workers for vaccination, for the sake of vaccine "equity". (Their choice of word). They didn't want to focus on lives saved. I repeat, for the sake of "equity" they wanted to prioritize folks that were at low risk of severe disease and even lower risk of death.

Does that make sense to you?

Old 09-24-2021, 03:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,542,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

its the political and media component that has driven this whole pandemic. Take those away and it becomes just a disease.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
its the political and media component that has driven this whole pandemic. Take those away and it becomes just a disease.
I thought all those people dying were driving the pandemic. Good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement