Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2023, 10:53 AM

373 posts, read 308,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
What's the data?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My 95 year old dad got COVID last month and took Paxlovid, and experienced the rebound. Unfortunately, at his age the strong rebound was too much for his frail body to handle, so he became another COVID statistic.
Losing a parent at any age is hard! Sorry for your loss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 11:59 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
My 95 year old dad got COVID last month and took Paxlovid, and experienced the rebound. Unfortunately, at his age the strong rebound was too much for his frail body to handle, so he became another COVID statistic.
I’m so sorry!
They are going to have to look more closely at using Paxlovid — there’s too many of these stories now.

Old 12-03-2023, 12:20 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I think like Tamiflu, Paxlovid is not useful for anyone who has other issues, including old age. Doctors do not do due dilligence when they prescribe some medicines, especially new ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well the new ones don't have a lot of history...mostly research data.
Real long term data comes from use by the public and the reactions to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I’m so sorry!
They are going to have to look more closely at using Paxlovid — there’s too many of these stories now.
I’m sorry to hear about your dad. It’s hard to lose a loved one under any circumstances, but I do hope that you will not take to heart any of the posts here that indicate Paxlovid is either ineffective or a possible contributor to your Dad’s strong rebound and his death. I’m sure the Doctors involved assessed your Dad’s condition and took all appropriate actions (including the use of Paxlovoid) to try and protect his health. I wish things had worked out differently for you both. RIP to your Dad.

Old 12-03-2023, 09:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Many thanks to those who commented in the thread and in reputation comments on my recent loss.

Regarding the Paxlovid, I think the medical folks weren't negligent in prescribing it, he was pretty sick and needed to do something. He initially responded well, but after a few days he suddenly got much worse and was beyond what he could tolerate. To some degree his own rigid approach hurt him too. He had gotten his last booster shot in late November 2022, and he was advised by us to get the updated shot when it became available in late September. He refused, stating he was getting one shot per year just like the flu shot, and wasn't getting it until after Thanksgiving since he viewed his past one as still being effective. Our niece, who is a virology doctor, explained to him that the virus had significantly evolved and he really needed the new vaccine, but he insisted that "COVID is COVID" and was going to wait until the year was up from his last vaccine.

He never got that far along.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:42 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Many thanks to those who commented in the thread and in reputation comments on my recent loss.

Regarding the Paxlovid, I think the medical folks weren't negligent in prescribing it, he was pretty sick and needed to do something. He initially responded well, but after a few days he suddenly got much worse and was beyond what he could tolerate. To some degree his own rigid approach hurt him too. He had gotten his last booster shot in late November 2022, and he was advised by us to get the updated shot when it became available in late September. He refused, stating he was getting one shot per year just like the flu shot, and wasn't getting it until after Thanksgiving since he viewed his past one as still being effective. Our niece, who is a virology doctor, explained to him that the virus had significantly evolved and he really needed the new vaccine, but he insisted that "COVID is COVID" and was going to wait until the year was up from his last vaccine.

He never got that far along.
Well, we all know two things for sure….your dad lived a very long life, and by the sound of what you shared, he was loved by his family. We should all be so lucky. Again, condolences to you and your family.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:50 PM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
I add my condolences, NewToCA.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Me too - I am very, very sorry for your loss, NewToCA.

I had three COVID shots, because I was traveling a lot. Then about a year ago, I got COVID, which meant for me that I had a low grade fever for three days, and then felt tired for three more, and had a sort of lingering cough. Not much, basically - I've had worse colds and CERTAINLY worse flus. Anyway, the doctor prescribed Paxlovid. I took it for one day or less, and it made me feel TERRIBLE. actually the worst I felt the entire time I had COVID. Oddly, the symptoms were the exact same as COVID symptoms, which is why I quit taking the Paxlovid, that and the probability of a rebound infection - who wants that? So I quit taking it almost immediately and felt a whole lot better almost immediately too - for starters, I immediately lost that weird taste and smell thing, and my fever went away, which always makes me feel better. Oh, I also got (I know, TMI) diahhrea or however you spell it, which immediately went away as well. So I personally felt better OFF the Paxlovid than on it, and I mean, as soon as it was out of my system I felt better.

I was 60 at the time.

Strange stuff.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
According to this December 6, 2023 study, 1/3 of us 65 or older have had the 2023-2024 COVID-19 booster:
https://www.precisionvaccinations.co...vid-19-vaccine

Old 12-08-2023, 10:23 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
According to this December 6, 2023 study, 1/3 of us 65 or older have had the 2023-2024 COVID-19 booster:
https://www.precisionvaccinations.co...vid-19-vaccine
And the death rate for the unvaccinated in that group is higher.

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...Vaccinated.pdf

Old 12-09-2023, 07:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
And the death rate for the unvaccinated in that group is higher.

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...Vaccinated.pdf
The study does not include the bivalent 2022 and 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccines, which makes it a bit dated. What is interesting is the relationship between COVID-19 deaths and age. I did not get the 1976 Swine Flu vaccine, because I was 20 years old. I did get the COVID-19 vaccines, because I was 64 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement