Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2023, 04:19 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I got covid last october and this october. The first time I had a fever for 3 and 1/2 days, my daughter made me go to the ER where they gave me Paxlovid. It was a 5 day dose but I quit taking it after the 3rd day because I had horrible leg cramps (from my ankles to my butt), the doctor poo poo'd me about that being caused by Paxlovid, but it said on the box that was a common side effect. I was sick for 3 weeks. My friend and my sister in law were sick about the same time and took all 5 doses of Paxlovid, they popped out of bed, tested negative and had a good time for almost a week, then were bed ridden, sicker than before, and tested positive again. It took them 3 weeks after that to be ok. Paxlovid is worse than Tamiflu.

This October I was sick for a week, tested positve, then a week later felt better and tested negative.
I’ve had Covid once; my husband has had it twice. We both took Paxlovid and experienced no side effects or rebound. If I get Covid again, I’ll for sure be taking Paxlovid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 08:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
I got my 2023-2024 Moderna COVID-19 booster today at the Health Department. This is dose number 5 (all Moderna). I also got the RSV vaccine at the same time. I had the influenza vaccine last week, so once again, I am all caught up. I guess the "Show me your papers!" days are over, at least in Ohio, but I had them update my COVOD-19 Vaccination Record Card anyway. No face masks at the doctor's, eye doctor's, or Health Department offices. I did see a couple of library staff with face masks, though.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:03 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I’ve had Covid once; my husband has had it twice. We both took Paxlovid and experienced no side effects or rebound. If I get Covid again, I’ll for sure be taking Paxlovid.
My husband and I both had Covid recently and both took Paxlovid. He had no rebound, but I had dramatic rebound — way worse than the original Covid.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:50 PM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
Mountainrose, That's curious. What do you think might have caused the difference in your rebounds?

Old 12-02-2023, 07:10 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
My husband and I both had Covid recently and both took Paxlovid. He had no rebound, but I had dramatic rebound — way worse than the original Covid.
A friend of mine had that happen too. She's a nurse and advocated for it at first. She said never again to the Paxlovid. I don't know what causes it to come back worse for some people.

Old 12-02-2023, 08:15 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Mountainrose, That's curious. What do you think might have caused the difference in your rebounds?
My PC doctor said she is seeing that often now and is not prescribing Paxlovid except for serious patients. I got it from an NP, not my primary care doc.
I’m thinking that maybe Paxlovid just tamps down the virus in some people, and then it comes roaring back stronger.
Most of my friends did fine on it, and I felt great while on it like it had totally healed Covid, and I even had a negative test result.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
My PC doctor said she is seeing that often now and is not prescribing Paxlovid except for serious patients. I got it from an NP, not my primary care doc.
I’m thinking that maybe Paxlovid just tamps down the virus in some people, and then it comes roaring back stronger.
Most of my friends did fine on it, and I felt great while on it like it had totally healed Covid, and I even had a negative test result.
My 95 year old dad got COVID last month and took Paxlovid, and experienced the rebound. Unfortunately, at his age the strong rebound was too much for his frail body to handle, so he became another COVID statistic.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:59 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I got the Covid booster, I think I have 5 vaccines on my card now. Also got my flu shot for this year…thought I was done…Dr. says I should get an RSV vaccination too….since I am 76.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:15 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My 95 year old dad got COVID last month and took Paxlovid, and experienced the rebound. Unfortunately, at his age the strong rebound was too much for his frail body to handle, so he became another COVID statistic.
I'm sorry for your loss. I think like Tamiflu, Paxlovid is not useful for anyone who has other issues, including old age. Doctors do not do due dilligence when they prescribe some medicines, especially new ones.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:39 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I think like Tamiflu, Paxlovid is not useful for anyone who has other issues, including old age. Doctors do not do due dilligence when they prescribe some medicines, especially new ones.
Well the new ones don't have a lot of history...mostly research data.
Real long term data comes from use by the public and the reactions to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement