Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2022, 08:35 AM

587 posts, read 443,717 times

Advertisements

Just in this past week 5 people that we know have come down with Covid. The owner of the company I work for and his wife both have very mild cases (he is 65 and she is 55). They are both vaccinated and boosted. My coworker's wife had Covid last week and spent a couple of days in bed not feeling well (early 40's and fully vaccinated). A friend of my husband's came down with Covid after a business trip to Detroit (he's also vaccinated). He is in his mid 50's and has been a bit sicker. An old coworker of mine just came back to visit San Diego from Pittsburgh where he now lives and he has Covid so we could not get together. He is also vaccinated and in his late 30's and he said it just feels like a bad cold.

On the good news front my brother has an appointment this week to get my 2 year old nephew vaccinated since the vaccine has now been approved for his age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 03:17 PM

587 posts, read 443,717 times
My husband just told me that 2 more people he knows just tested positive. One of them is a VP at his company in Finland who had to test prior to travel and tested positive (no symptoms). The other one is a sales rep for his company from Canada who attended a sales meeting at their office in Florida last week. So far there are 8 people from that meeting who have tested positive.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:00 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
I got my 2nd Moderna booster yesterday, and just like last time my right arm is sore today too. Got the booster in my left arm both times. I really thought the first time was a fluke but now I'm wondering how the heck my left arm could make my right arm sore. Soreness was the only side effect, but it's bad enough that I'm skipping the gym workout today.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:22 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Got back from our trip to Alaska Saturday. Yesterday, my sister who was on the boat with us called to say that she has COVID; so far just like a bad cold. My wife and I did the self test and it showed negative for both of us; my niece who was also on the trip tested negative.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:49 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
My coworker contracted COVID last week. Mid-40s, military member. His symptoms weren't too bad, until the pulmonary embolism showed up this week. Hearing that while this variant seems milder, it's causing a lot of the more serious clotting issues that older variants had.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:59 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My coworker contracted COVID last week. Mid-40s, military member. His symptoms weren't too bad, until the pulmonary embolism showed up this week. Hearing that while this variant seems milder, it's causing a lot of the more serious clotting issues that older variants had.
I have seen a big study from Sweden (over 1 million people with covid (average age of 40), and 4 million negative controls), in which 94.5% of Omicron infections were mild - but the clotting/bleeding risks in the first month after the diagnosis were increased by Omicron infection about 5x for deep venous thrombosis (usually in the legs), about 33x for pulmonary embolism, and almost 2x for bleeding (the peak risk was in the 2nd week after the diagnosis). Some elevated risk of clots persisted for at least 6 months (I think that was the limit of the patient followup). The clotting risk was increased even in patients with mild disease, but it was still the highest in patients with severe disease or with pre-existing comorbidities.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:05 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I have seen a big study from Sweden (over 1 million people with covid (average age of 40), and 4 million negative controls), in which 94.5% of Omicron infections were mild - but the clotting/bleeding risks in the first month after the diagnosis were increased by Omicron infection about 5x for deep venous thrombosis (usually in the legs), about 33x for pulmonary embolism, and almost 2x for bleeding (the peak risk was in the 2nd week after the diagnosis). Some elevated risk of clots persisted for at least 6 months (I think that was the limit of the patient followup). The clotting risk was increased even in patients with mild disease, but it was still the highest in patients with severe disease or with pre-existing comorbidities.
What pre-existing co-morbidities elevate the risk for clotting issues?

Old 06-24-2022, 11:08 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
I am not a candidate for anti viral.
They basically told me to suck it up and let it ride its course.
3rd day and I feel like ****.
Also maddening that we took precautions for 2 years and got vaxed, only to get caught at the worst time ever.
I'm currently caring for my mom in her house. She's been diagnosed with ILD.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:09 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
IDK, but keep in mind that for such a broad group, DVT and PE are both rare events. 6x or even 33x a rare event is still a rare event.

Saying that, everyone should be familiar with the signs of a DVT and PE. I had a DVT some years ago, ignored the symptoms for a while, but ultimately sought diagnosis and care. Fortunately, I had no serious outcomes. Turns out subsequent CT scans also showed small, asymptomatic PE. Whew, close call.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:23 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I found what looks to be the study cited by Elnrgby, but the data studied related to the time period before Omicron emerged. I skimmed the material, so didn't identify any specifically identified pre-existing conditions.
"Readers Digest" version: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...clots-6-months

https://www.bmj.com/content/377/bmj-2021-069590 published 06 April 2022

Perhaps Elnrgby can provide more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement