Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2021, 05:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when we were admitted for covid they said monoclonal is only effective early on .

the catch 22 is that early on we had no reason to do a thing .it looked like nothing more than a cold …but 8-9 days later it replicated and found their way in to the cells and now it was to late .

so few actually go for treatment early enough .

the red cross actually stopped taking blood donations for monoclonal use as they have huge amounts going unused since it is best used when few have interest in doing anything about their symptoms and they are still quite minor
Human plasma isn't used for mAb therapy, but it is used in convalescent plasma but they've found that it doesn't do much at all. https://www.who.int/news/item/07-12-...treat-covid-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 07:20 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't understand. Why aren't they more careful?
They are required to be vaccinated, or take serious precautionary measures. 99% of them on the list have been vacced, but as we've found out the protection fades. The good news is, none of them have gotten very ill. They've all had mild symptoms, or are asymptomatic.

They can't wear masks during a game, and I wonder if that's where they're passing the virus around?

Old 12-15-2021, 07:53 AM

4,144 posts, read 3,061,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Ohio (where my brother-in-law is) is having their hospitals filling up with COVID patients again. In the rural areas, they are back to where they were a year ago with cases. Where my relatives are, the county is still under 50% getting even the first vaccination shot. That is even a bit worse than where I am in Tennessee. and I thought we were bad about vaccinations here.

And so this drags on
https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/por...tion-dashboard

45% where I live. Highest is Delaware county at 74%. Lowest is Holmes county at 18.5%. Note the statewide demographics: 65-69 age is 87%, 70-74 is 92%, 75-79 is 88%, 80+ is 84%. The most vulnerable age groups are getting the vaccine. The Wayne-Holmes county area has a lower rate due to the large Amish population.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:40 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
News item:

Quote:
Some of the largest hospital groups in the U.S. have dropped COVID-19 vaccine requirements for staff after a federal judge temporarily stopped the Biden administration mandate for health care workers.

AdventHealth, the Cleveland Clinic, HCA Healthcare, Intermountain Healthcare, and Tenet Healthcare said they canceled the requirements for now to help with labor shortages. Hospitals have struggled to retain enough nurses, technicians, and janitors to handle the latest surge of hospitalizations during the pandemic.
They should make these refuseniks wear big scarlet badges that say "not vaccinated" so we patients can avoid them.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:49 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
News item:

They should make these refuseniks wear big scarlet badges that say "not vaccinated" so we patients can avoid them.
It's good to hear from you.

I went in for surgery a couple of months ago at one of those standalone surgical centers. Several of the nurses could not be bothered to wear a mask snugly. I would watch in shocked fascination as the bridge of the mask slipped down their faces and below their noses. I wasn't wearing a mask because I was about to get an upper endoscopy.

I agree the refuseniks should identify their status but realistically we can't avoid healthcare workers who are too lazy or deluded to get vaccinated. I'm hoping the Pfizer pill will be available soon.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:07 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's good to hear from you.

I went in for surgery a couple of months ago at one of those standalone surgical centers. Several of the nurses could not be bothered to wear a mask snugly. I would watch in shocked fascination as the bridge of the mask slipped down their faces and below their noses. I wasn't wearing a mask because I was about to get an upper endoscopy.

I agree the refuseniks should identify their status but realistically we can't avoid healthcare workers who are too lazy or deluded to get vaccinated. I'm hoping the Pfizer pill will be available soon.
But whether or not they are vaccinated is starting to not matter as much as WHEN they got vaccinated.

I read this morning that a study in Africa says the J&J vaccine is at 0%.

Me..I got J&J. I can truthfully say "Yes, I am vaccinated". But does that mean anything now ?

Old 12-15-2021, 04:17 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But whether or not they are vaccinated is starting to not matter as much as WHEN they got vaccinated.

I read this morning that a study in Africa says the J&J vaccine is at 0%.

Me..I got J&J. I can truthfully say "Yes, I am vaccinated". But does that mean anything now ?
It's actually more complicated than that, not that the popular press would let you know. Being boosted seems to be better, but even fully vaccinated but not boosted should still have some protection against the most severe disease.

But yes, maybe in addition to scarlet badges for the non-believers, how about a yellow caution badge for those not boosted?

Personally, I'd love to see some right to know policies - where we have a right to know how careful our health care providers are being. Will it happen? Of course not. The health care establishment - providers - have fought every effort to provide the public with understandable data on outcomes. This goes back several decades. It's nothing new.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:30 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
What I think would help the most at this point is an abundance of free home covid tests. I think that could make a big difference in slowing the spread.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-15-2021, 05:06 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What I think would help the most at this point is an abundance of free home covid tests. I think that could make a big difference in slowing the spread.

Wasn't the current administration going to buy millions of them, or am I confused?

Old 12-15-2021, 05:07 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
It's actually more complicated than that, not that the popular press would let you know. Being boosted seems to be better, but even fully vaccinated but not boosted should still have some protection against the most severe disease.

But yes, maybe in addition to scarlet badges for the non-believers, how about a yellow caution badge for those not boosted?

Personally, I'd love to see some right to know policies - where we have a right to know how careful our health care providers are being. Will it happen? Of course not. The health care establishment - providers - have fought every effort to provide the public with understandable data on outcomes. This goes back several decades. It's nothing new.
In Europe somewhere they have deactivated their vaccine passport after 6 months. You need a booster to keep it active past the 6 months.
Like a subscription..you have to keep renewing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement